X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Your Knowledge of Vitamin D to the Test

Put Your Knowledge of Vitamin D to the Test

https://www5.riteaid.com/wellness/ar...-d-to-the-test

If vitamin D were on trial for preventing or treating diabetes, the jury would still be out. But the evidence is getting stronger.
    A new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found people with type 2 diabetes who drank a yogurt beverage fortified with vitamin D had better blood glucose control than those who got a plain version. The effect was similar to that of some diabetes medicines.

How much do you know about the case for D? Take this true/false quiz to find out.

Questions
    1. Vitamin D may play a role in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
      True/False

2. Dairy foods are the only source of vitamin D.
      True/False

3. All Americans get plenty of this nutrient.
      True/False

Answers
    1. True. A mother’s vitamin D levels seem linked to her baby’s risk of developing type 1 diabetes. And people with low D seem prone to getting pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes later in life. Getting enough vitamin D may help the insulin-producing cells in our pancreas work properly.

2. False. Your body makes vitamin D when exposed to the sunlight. However, it’s important to limit sun exposure to reduce your risk for skin cancer.
      Besides milk and yogurt—which also contain bone-building calcium—get your vitamin D from fatty fish like salmon, egg yolks, and fortified cereals, breads, and juices.

3. False. While doctors say many healthy Americans are getting enough vitamin D, others, especially older adults, aren’t getting enough. If you have diabetes or pre-diabetes, ask your doctor if you should get a vitamin D test. If your levels are low, he or she might recommend supplements.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Put Your Knowledge of Vitamin D to the Test

Thanks Marina I am on 50,000units of D and my blood sugar has greatly improved I will ask my Dr. about this.

Comment

Interesting..... Jesse is also on 50,000 units once a month and his sugars are normal now.
      Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
      Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

My OBGYN has me on 5000 units 3 days a week and the other 4 I take 1000 units. I go back the middle of February to see if it has helped. With Sjogren's it is hard for the body to use vitamin D. I don't think any of us get enough of it in the winter unless you live in Texas, Flordia or southern California.
        sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

Working...
        X