Bmp-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bmp-7

Well this is the first time ive read about this or heard about this-it sounds like a dream come true but I see this post was like 4yrs. ago I wonder whatever happened and if that is true wouldnt it be a crime to not allow people living with ckd not to have it? This is crazy -I will do everything I can to look into this -is anyone else does the same please share info-
    ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

This letter provides an update on the progress on bringing the BMP 7 kidney therapy to market – which no information was found in this research; of anything that provides information on any human test , progress, intentions or timelines. The purpose of the study was to track down someone who could give us a reliable forecast for bringing BMP 7 to market for human kidney treatment. I think that you will be interested in the following views and opinions of the author about his findings.
      The discovery BMP 7’s effect on kidneys has been around since the late 1990s and while there are a number of successful kidney studies done on laboratory animals, there seems to be no progress at all in taking BMP 7 kidney treatment for humans, to market. It is starting to look like anyone wanting to develop this market would need to set up in an Off Shore location– of which there are many attractive locations.
      If the progress and communications don’t improve, I expect that someone will take up this opportunity, hopefully as a nonprofit organization, or as a for profit organization that could easily gross $200 billion a year from this enterprise, and be a tourist boon for the host country too But you will be interested in the following views and opinions of the author about his findings. .
      I’ve researched the U.S. Patent office documents to find the BMP 7 patent and read that patent. Excerpts and patent number are shown below. Patents are a great source of information as they discuss the background information and claims which are very informative,
      I reviewed the clinical studies on BMP 7 at www.ClinicalTrials.gov where I found many studies on BMP 7 relative to Osteoarthritis - but none related to kidney treatment.
      I called Jannsen Biotech, Inc. 800 457 6399 and they referred me to the ClinicalTrials.gov but provided no other information.
      The patent has since been assigned to Merial LTD. I called Merial Limited (Duluth, GA) 678 638 3690. I got an answering machine, but the call has yet to be returned. Probably a researcher could go the the Securities and Exchange Commission’s web site and get a name and contact number for corporate headquarters. This is on my do list.
      The U.S. Patent was issued to Laurent Fisher. The best information I have indicates that She works for a company called Merial which is an animal health company that is a "submerger" of Merk and French giant Sanofi. They have several different satellite offices, but not surprisingly, the one that Laurent works for is in Lyon.
      This article was the key. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14575772 It looks like the patent office had the incorrect translated spelling or Fisher, I think that it should be Fischer.
      In France, Laurent could be either female or male.
      I sent an email to Laurent, but received no response.
      The email contact information is as follows:

Merial SAS, Biological Discovery Research, 254 rue Marcel Mérieux, 69007, Lyon, France. laurent.fischer@merial.com
      The following are excerpts are quoted directly from the patent document found at the U.S Government Patent Office;
      “Inventors: Fisher; Laurent Bernard (Sainte Foy les Lyon, FR)
      Assignee: Merial Limited (Duluth, GA)
      Appl. No.: 11/867,919
      Filed: October 5, 2007

________________________________________”

“GENE THERAPY FOR RENAL FAILURE
      Abstract
      The present invention relates to recombinant vectors expressing the BMP-7 polypeptide in host cells and to pharmaceutical compositions comprising such recombinant vectors. The invention also encompasses methods for prevention and/or treatment of both acute and chronic renal failure in mammals, advantageously in dogs and cats, by administration of the recombinant vectors and pharmaceutical compositions of the invention.
      RELATED APPLICATIONS

[0001] This application claims priority to U.S. provisional application 60/736,452, filed Nov. 14, 2005, herein incorporated by reference.
      [0016] In human medicine, approximately 600 patients per million receive chronic dialysis each year in the USA, at an average cost approaching $60,000-$80,000 per patient per year. Of the new cases of end-stage renal disease each year, approximately 28-33% are due to diabetic nephropathy (or diabetic glomerulopathy or diabetic renal hypertrophy), 24-29% are due to hypertensive nephrosclerosis (or hypertensive glomerulosclerosis), and 15-22% are due to glomerulonephritis. The 5-year survival rate for all chronic human dialysis patients is approximately 40%, but for patients over 65, the rate drops to approximately 20%. Therefore, a need remains for treatments to prevent the progressive loss of renal function which has caused almost 200,000 human patients in the USA alone to become dependent upon chronic dialysis, and which results in the premature deaths of tens of thousands each year.

[0017] In light of the fact that specific morphogens and/or growth factors that exhibit renotropic properties and promote tubular repair and recovery of renal function have been recently identified, it is conceivable that some of these molecules could have the potential to be used as therapeutic agents for the prevention and/or treatment of ARF and/or CRF. One such agent is Bone Morphogenetic Protein-7 (BMP-7, or Osteogenic Protein-1, OP-1), which is a member of the Transforming Growth Factor-.beta. (TGF-.beta.) superfamily. BMP-7 binds to activin receptors types I and II, but not to TGF-.beta. receptors type I, II and III. Monomeric BMP-7 has a molecular weight of 17 to 19 kDa and was originally identified by its ability to induce ectopic bone formation. BMP-7 polypeptide is secreted as a homodimer with an apparent molecular weight of approximately 35-36 kDa. Recently, BMP-7 has been shown to be a key morphogen during nephrogenesis. Renal expression of BMP-7 continues in mature kidneys, especially in medullary collecting ducts. Renal tubules also express BMP-7 receptors. In animal models of ARF and CRF, renal expression of BMP-7 is significantly down-regulated and the administration of recombinant BMP-7 protein has been reported to accelerate renal recovery, an effect that was associated with less interstitial inflammation and programmed cell death”
      Other non related subject matter is that in Israeli scientists have successfully grown brand new kidneys in animals – which might upstage all the forgoing. There is however, little information found by this writer on subsequent progress.
      Also, in the United States, doctors successfully took bladder tissue out of a woman, grew her a new bladder in the laboratory – and then transplanted it into the woman successfully.
      There are no rejection problems with either of these two therapies. The intentions or timeline on this research was not investigated by this author. Anyone with information on these two research fronts that has information, please chime in.

Comment

I am level 4 so not long left of my kidney life so would love to be involved with this BMP-7 please keep me updated

Comment

Thankyou so much for sharing it was very enlightening!!
          ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

This is a company developing some drugs similar to bone morphogenetic protein 7.

http://www.thrasos.com/index.asp

Thrasos is a private, clinical-stage, bio-therapeutics company focused on the discovery and development of therapies to prevent and treat kidney disease. The Company has begun clinical testing of its first drug candidate, THR-184, for Acute Kidney Injury and is developing a second compound, THR-123, for use in Chronic Kidney Disease. The Company's drug candidates are proprietary peptides designed to selectively activate the key receptors of the bone morphogenetic protein family.

Thrasos is a bio-therapeutics company focused on the discovery and development of targeted therapies for the prevention and treatment of severe organ failure, with a principle focus on kidney disease. The Company's first drug candidates are being developed for the treatment of two critical medical needs: the prevention and treatment of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) with THR-184 and the treatment of fibrosis due to diabetic nephropathy in Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) with THR-123.

THR-184, a peptide formulated for intravenous delivery, has demonstrated excellent control of biomarker and functional changes in an extensive series of preclinical models of AKI. The peptide controls inflammation and prevents apoptosis of renal tubule cells, resulting in protection and repair of the kidney following injury. All preclinical toxicology testing has been completed and THR-184 is now in Phase 1 clinical testing for safety and pharmacokinetic evaluation. Phase 2 efficacy testing is planned for 2012.

THR-123 is an orally active peptide that has shown significant control of fibrosis in preclinical models of CKD. This drug candidate is being developed to treat moderate and severe CKD. THR-123 has the potential to work as a stand-alone therapy or in combination with conventional angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. The full pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles are being completed and THR-123 is on track to progress to clinical testing by 2013.

Thrasos designs compounds to target the BMP Type II receptor and known Type I-ALK receptors from the BMP branch of the TGF-β superfamily. Activation of one or more of the BMP ALK receptors leads to phosphorylation of Smads 1,5, and 8 which can then translocate to the cell nucleus (through combination with Smad-4) to activate specific genes. The Company's drug candidates have been shown to bind to both the Type II BMP receptor and selectively bind to the Alk-3 and ALK-2 Type I BMP receptors. The Company's compounds do not bind the ALK 6 receptor and therefore have been shown to be devoid of osteogenic activity (Figures 1 & 2).

http://www.thrasos.com/index.asp

Comment

Petition to start Human Trials

"BMP-7: Human Trials Now To End Kidney Disease"
              http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bmp7/
              Goldminer
              CKD-Stage 2
              non-diabetic, controlled HBP
              GFR-65, Diagnosed August, 2010

Comment

Bone morphogenetic proteins interact with a number of related but structurally distinct BMP receptors, each with different biological effects, and researchers have eyed BMP for a number of therapeutic indications. But the proteins come with a big caveat: they tend to promote inappropriate bone growth at sites of infection and the spot where injected, and that side effect has derailed many therapeutic efforts. Thrasos Therapeutics Inc. aims to get around that problem by designing agonists that selectively activate the BMP-7 receptors that promote tissue growth and protection, without affecting those receptors that cause bone growth. Its lead programs include compounds designed to prevent and treat acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease.

http://www.elsevierbi.com/publicatio...erapeutics-inc

Comment

BMP-2 sale

BMP2 belongs to the transforming growth factor-beta (TGFβ) superfamily. BMP-2, one of the main growth factors implicated in growth and regeneration of bone and cartilage, exhibits pronounced osteoinduction properties. Under normal growth conditions, BMP-2 is localized in bone tissue as a complex with high molecular glycosaminoglycans, and is released in response to bone damage, resulting in the stimulation of differentiation of mesenchymal cells into osteoblasts and induction of cell proliferation.
                  More information:BIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Euroguy View Post
                    Hi everybody,

I have been suffering from chronic kidney disease for some time and recently (five months ago), started dialysis. I live in Belgium which is a great place to get treatment for such diseases.

Recently I have stumbled on information concerning the BMP-7 protein and its potential to reverse chronic kidney disease. It was discovered by
                    HTML Code:
                    <a href="www.curis.com">Curis</a>
                    and it looks like it has the potential to radically improve our lives in the near future. Don't take my word for it, look it up. Pre-clinical trials are over, clinical trials should be about to start. They will be carried out by
                    HTML Code:
                    <a href="www.orthobiotech.com">OrthoBioTech</a>
                    (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson).

BMP-7 is a protein produced by the (healthy) kidney which transforms scarred glomerular cells back into healthy cells. It is perfectly safe and without side effects, and has already been FDA-approved for the treatment of kidney disease-related bone problems.

The problem is we have to get this thing approved for treatment of chronic kidney disease before it can be available in our hospitals. I recently met someone who was willing to petition the FDA to fasttrack the approval of BMP-7 so we can all profit from its virtues.

Please, if anyone is interested in helping us out, please reply.
                    Thanks.
                    I am dialysis I am so interested about BMP 7

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X