• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laugh it up!! The healthful side of humor

Laugh it up!!
    The healthful side of humor

http://psychsoma.co.za/psych-so-easy/mind-body/

The saying goes that “laughter is the best medicine.” For diabetes, that just might be true!

A recent U.S. study monitored 20 people with diabetes who were at high risk for heart disease. The researchers directed one group to watch funny videow for 30 minutes a day. The other group did nothing different.

After 12 months, the blood pressure and cholesterol of both groups was measured- and there was a big difference. The people who laughed regularly experienced:
    • -lower stress
    • -reduced inflammation
    • -higher good cholesterol levels

A separate Japenese study found that laughing may also help the body process blood sugar. In this research, people who watched a comedy show had lower glucose levels than people who instead listened to an academic lecture.

Could something this simple actually be affective- and fun? Dr. Lee Berk of the US study thinks so. He believes the physical body can respond to positive emotions such as laughter, optimism and hope. Plus, they are things we can control. “lifestyle choices have a significant impact on health and disease.” he says.

So go ahead- watch your favorite sitcom or pop in a funny movie. And don’t limit yourself to time on the couch. Make it a point to spend time with friends and family who makeyou laugh. Tell a joke. Pass on the funny email. It is one healthful habit that’s sure to make you smile.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Laugh it up!! The healthful side of humor

How about if well just meet at a local comedy club once a week for a glass of vino and some good ol' hearty laughs?
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

Re: Laugh it up!! The healthful side of humor

Originally posted by metrogirl View Post
      How about if well just meet at a local comedy club once a week for a glass of vino and some good ol' hearty laughs?
      Count me in
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Working...
      X