Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key Facts about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Facts about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Key Facts about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

http://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/...eyFactsCKD.cfm
    • More than 26 million American adults have CKD and millions more are at risk and don’t know it. Since early kidney disease has no symptoms, and can become kidney failure with little or no warning, kidney disease has been labeled a “silent killer” and a “quiet epidemic.”

• The incidence of end-stage kidney failure is rising fast, with more than 526,000 Americans currently receiving treatment for kidney failure (also called end stage renal disease, or ESRD). This includes more than 367,000 dialysis patients and 158,000 people with functioning kidney transplants.

• Each year, more than 87,000 Americans die from causes related to kidney failure.

• Of the more than 105,000 Americans currently awaiting organ transplants, 83,000 are waiting for a kidney.

• Diabetes is the number one cause of kidney failure in the U.S. Along with high blood pressure, these two major risk factors account for nearly 85% of new cases of kidney disease.

• Kidney disease hits minorities disproportionately, with African Americans affected at a rate more than three times as great as among Caucasians. Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans and the elderly are also at increased risk.

• Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of people with CKD. (Individuals with early stages of CKD are 5 times more likely to die from heart disease than to reach end stage kidney disease.)

• On average, there are more than 16,500 kidney transplants performed each year in the U.S.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Key Facts about Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Those are some sobering statistics. Especially the one about heart disease!

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesster View Post
      Those are some sobering statistics. Especially the one about heart disease!

Thanks for posting this!
      The reason for that among other things is the high phosphorus level and fluid overload.
      Fluid overload causes the heart to work harder, causing damage to the heart.

Another reason to love our kidneys and our heart and take good care of them both so they can take care of us.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Thanks for the info marina
        Husband diagnosed IgA Neph June 2011
        Hemodialysis - June 2011

Comment

Thanks for this information. I am non diabetic, do not have heart disease, I do have high BP. I am white female age 71.
          Several years ago I went into kidney failure. It left me with CKD. About 6 weeks ago or more I started feeling bad and it progressed. I have a bad back and it was hurting real bad. I did not recoginize my symptome as possible kidney problems. I got worse and one might my son was worred and drove 2 Hrs to check on me. He found me semi conc. in the yard. When I reached the ER all my systems were shut dowm, was showing metabolic acidosis, had 25,000 white count, a large heart murmmer, among other things. They were going to put me on dialysis. A very good nephrologist was in the hospital, he came down and began treatment. All my systems began coming back. It was not my time to go.
          What I need to know is how do I recoginize kidney failure coming on before I get in serious trouble as I have done twice?

Comment

Working...
          X