General question about transplant list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question about transplant list

My niece has a friend that is 18 years old with ESRF, she's been on dialysis since she was 15 years old. I asked her if she was on the transplat list and she said she was but that she was 'inactive'.

What does this mean?
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Re: General question about transplant list

Originally posted by metrogirl View Post
    My niece has a friend that is 18 years old with ESRF, she's been on dialysis since she was 15 years old. I asked her if she was on the transplat list and she said she was but that she was 'inactive'.

What does this mean?

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/the...t-waiting-list

THE ACTIVE AND INACTIVE LIST
    The kidney transplant waiting list in the United States had been expanding by 3000 to 4000 patients each year [4]. However, the steady increase in the number of so-called active candidates has slowed, and since 2001, this number has been stable at approximately 50,000 [2].

Current policy permits inactive candidates (also called "status 7") to accrue waiting time points; however, only active patients are allocated transplants. The purpose of this policy is to encourage transparency in listing so that the active transplant list truly reflects candidates who are prepared for imminent transplantation. Candidates are placed in an inactive status if an inter-current condition develops that makes transplantation temporarily inadvisable (eg, during a hiatus after a treated malignancy while on the waiting list), although it is likely that some patients remain on the list despite conditions that are not reversible or while their initial work-up is being completed.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Re: General question about transplant list

A young lady I know was on the list when she had an infected tooth, so she was placed "inactive" until that was fixed and the infection gone. Sometimes it is a minor deal. Maybe your niece's friend didn't want to share what moved her to inactive.
      Diagnosed FSGS 1998
      Related Transplant 2004
      Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

Working...
      X