Have A Dumb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have A Dumb Question

TODAY I FOUND OUT NY SERUM CREAT. JUMP FROM 3.4 IN DEC TO 4.1 WHICH MAKE MY GFR AT 12. WHEN YOU ARE IN END STAGE DO YOU STILL URINATE? I STILL URINATING BUT HAVE NOTICE A DEC;LINE IN OUTPUT. ALSO DOES A WOMAN CYLCLE CHANGE. I NOTICED IT VERY VEWRY LIGHT NOW / i know these are dumb question put don't know the answers.thank for your help.

Sheila,
    As far as you still have kidney function, you will urinate. I've been on dialysis for 10 months, and still urinate.
    As far as the menstrual cycle is concerned, I was told and read on all my training literature that I would no longer have my period once I started dialysis. I was happy not to deal with such a nuisance. But, months went by and some months were heavy others very light. I wondered when "it" would stop. So, I asked my "nurses" they told me, that it all depends on my red blood cells. If my count is off, then I will not get my period. EPO has kept my anemia away, so therefore, I still get my period. But, I guess it varies from woman to woman, just like everything else.
    Take care!

Comment

no more a woman?

I recently started dialysis and I have had a number of issues happen of course, but the one that freaks me out the most is the loss of my period. While I am somewhat thankful I no longer have to deal with this at this time, It scares me so much. I started dialysis July 07, I have had one period since November....I am 24 years old, and needless to say, thats young, and I have one child. Probably wont have the chance to have another, BUT, it scares me, I have bought like 5 pregnancy tests just for fear that even though RIGHT NOW im not pregnant, I possibly could become pregnant....at least when u have a period and it stops U KNOW something isnt right lol And they cant tell me for sure if that is why i havent had a period, all of my numbers are good with my labs, so IDK. Does anyone have ANY more info on this matter? I cant find anything!!!!!!

Comment

I've been on dialysis for several months and still urinate as much as I ever did. I actually started dialysis when my numbers were about the same as yours.
        Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
        Flip

Comment

Originally posted by gothiclovemonkey View Post
          I recently started dialysis and I have had a number of issues happen of course, but the one that freaks me out the most is the loss of my period. While I am somewhat thankful I no longer have to deal with this at this time, It scares me so much. I started dialysis July 07, I have had one period since November....I am 24 years old, and needless to say, thats young, and I have one child. Probably wont have the chance to have another, BUT, it scares me, I have bought like 5 pregnancy tests just for fear that even though RIGHT NOW im not pregnant, I possibly could become pregnant....at least when u have a period and it stops U KNOW something isnt right lol And they cant tell me for sure if that is why i havent had a period, all of my numbers are good with my labs, so IDK. Does anyone have ANY more info on this matter? I cant find anything!!!!!!
          I'm 20 years old and on dialysis. I do have my periods regularly, but I skip one occasionally and do like you, take 2-3 preg tests. lol. Just to make sure. Well, I was told that most people do stop their periods when on dialysis, so that is normal. I was also told by my GYN that if you have periods then you can get pregnant, so I'm guessing that if you don't, then you can't. You should probably talk to your nurse or GYN just to make sure though. Being on dialysis it's harder to get pregnant anyway. I've been on for two years, and have never used protection in that two years, and have never been pregnant. Some people do get pregnant though, so be cautious. Talk to your nurse.
          Shannon
          KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
          If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

It is fairly common to have your periods stop when you go on dialysis. You need to talk to your gynecologist about whether it is possible for you to become pregnant. I think if I remember my (fairly ancient) physiology class if you are not having your period it means you are not ovulating and can't get pregnant. However, if it were me I would be afraid that I would start ovulating again and not know it until after I got pregnant. There are some cases where women have successfully gotten pregnant and delivered healthy babies while on dialyisis if that is what you are getting at. Such pregnancies are considered very high risk and your gynecologist could tell you more.
            To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Well,so far for me dialysis has ruined my hair.
              I lost at least 1/2 my hair- I used to have really thick curly hair and before I had problems finding hair elastics and barettes that would actually close.

Now I have to use the "baby" clips and tiny hair elastics and wrap them up 2 or 3 times even as my hair is very thin.
              I also used to have softer hair that was naturally shiny and now I have to work at it so much- buying so many shine products just to get the look of somewhat healthy hair.

If I were to put nothing at all in my hair it feels very coarse and also would break more easily.
              Right now I am using 2 in one shampoo and conditioner and shine stuff.

But as for women's monthly issues I would love to not have to worry about that as for me it is hellish.
              I am nautious and throw up for a whole week and have to take prescription painkillers just to function.
              But that has nothing to do with my kidney problems as for me my kidneys just suddenly stopped working from somthing one day (could be a number of things).

I think it is different for everyone- so don't have an exact answer.

Comment

Re: Have A Dumb Question

I am a 54 year old woman who just recently had heavy bleeding the whole time I was on my cycle this time. My cycle started from Jul 1 to Jul 15 approximately. I have been on dialysis for almost two years. Since I started dialysis I have been on my cycle off and on meaning sometimes months go by before I go back on my cycle. I have been using a cathetar for my dialysis treatments. This past Monday which is 3 days ago my Nephrologist makes his rounds and out of the clear blue he tells me that I have lost at least 2 pints of blood over the past few days and he then asks me if I have been bleeding excessively lately and I told him yes. I also told him I had just stopped bleeding heavily about 3 days ago. He then wanted to know whether or not I talked to a doctor about this. I told him no because I had a pap smear coming up soon and he told me I need to check on it now. So I will be checking on this tomorrow.

I did not realize that they would be aware of my haivng lost this amount of blood because in the past I was bleeding heavily also and no one made mention of this to me before. I have to admit this time is the largest amount I have lost.

The Nephrologist wanted to know if I ever had a hysterectomy and whether or not the blood was coming from my rectoral area. I told him no and that the blood was coming from my vaginal area I believe. Anyway, I thought that it was odd that it took them so long to be aware of the large amount of blood I lost.

I looked up the side effects of Heparin which is blood thinner I have been given since I have been on dialysis and heavy bleeding is a side effect of this medication along with low blood pressure. I have questioned the Dialysis Technicians before about this medication especially when I had been receiving emails about the lawsuits against Heparin use could be fatal. I looked up Heparin online and I just realized the long list of side effects. I know I need blood thinner because my blood is thick but can't I use some other medication with not too many side effects which may be fatal to me.

Comment

Hi Suprduper,
                  There are no dumb questions, and there sure is a lot to learn when you have kidney disease! First just let me reinforce what your doctor was saying. You need to find out why you are having such heavy bleeding as soon as possible. Losing a lot of blood is dangerous and you could end up needing blood transfusions. I know you said it's been going on quite a while, but it sounds like it's getting worse and needs to be dealt with. As for the questions about heparin, there is no other drug available to use during dialysis as a blood thinner. And without using heparin during dialysis, your blood would clot which would be far more dangerous than the heparin. The other good thing about heparin is that when it is given IV during dialysis, it is very short acting. By the time you finish treatment it is usually already out of your system. So if you are not having any problems with bleeding during or right after your treatment, then the heparin shouldn't be a problem. It can make your period heavier while you are on treatment, but the big issue is why are you having long periods in the first place? You need to get to the OB/GYN doc to find out. Also, most of the scary stuff you have heard about lawsuits relating to heparin stem from an incident about 1 1/2- 2 years ago in which some contaminated heparin was sent out from a manufacturer and unfortunately quite a few people were seriously harmed. It has been recalled and I haven't heard of anymore problems since then. I hope they get all your problems figured out soon. God bless,
                  Jim

Comment

Some people continue to urinate and others do not. If you are among the lucky ones you will continue to urinate. My husband was on dialysis for almost 12 years and he passed water all through those years.
                    JoanFRKPA

Comment

Jimw thank you for your response. I took a pap smear today and I am now awaiting the results. I took a pap smear last year also and it was normal and yes I was bleeding somewhat heavy then but not as much as this time. I still have a suspicion that the heparin is causing my heavy bleeding even though it is being cleaned out of me before I my dialysis treatment is over. There may be residuals left behind who knows. Anyway, I will wait for the results of my pap smear. Thanks again for your info. You have a blessed day.

Comment

Hi again Suprduper,
                        Hope everything comes out good on the PAP. There is a blood test that they routinely do when you are on dialysis to monitor if your blood is too thin when using heparin. The test is called a "partial thromboplastin time" or PTT. I'm sure they are already doing it on you. If it is normal that should settle the question about the heparin. Ask them at your center. Have a blessed day,
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X