X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Dose Vitamin B Risky for Diabetics With Kidney Disease

High-Dose Vitamin B Risky for Diabetics With Kidney Disease

Study ties therapy to deteriorating renal function

TUESDAY, April 27 (HealthDay News) -- High-dose vitamin B therapy is dangerous for diabetics with kidney disease, and patients on this regimen should stop immediately, says a new study.

When the researchers began the study, they believed it would show that high-dose vitamin B therapy (folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12) would improve patients' kidney function and reduce their risk of heart attack and stroke.

But it turned out that patients on high-dose vitamin B therapy had significant worsening of kidney function, and twice as many heart and stroke incidents as patients taking a placebo.

"Because B vitamins are water soluble, we suspect that while healthy people would excrete excess vitamins in urine, those with renal failure would not be able to do so, perhaps causing the adverse effects we have seen in this study," Dr. David Spence, of the University of Western Ontario in Canada, said in a university news release.

"Vitamin B therapy may still be beneficial in people with normal kidney function, but this is clear evidence that high doses of vitamin B should not be given to those with kidney problems," he added.

The study is published in the April 28 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

More than 40 percent of people with diabetes develop kidney disease.
    Type II Diabetes & Stage 3 CKD

Re: High-Dose Vitamin B Risky for Diabetics With Kidney Disease

Hey did you post this as well on KidneyKorner? I read this somewhere else and I think it was you who posted it and it was a good read! I sent the email to my cousin who is diabetic but he is overseas right now on a trip. Can't wait til he reads it!
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
      Hey did you post this as well on KidneyKorner? I read this somewhere else and I think it was you who posted it and it was a good read! I sent the email to my cousin who is diabetic but he is overseas right now on a trip. Can't wait til he reads it!
      I think it was that clown TRB that posted it on KK. But no matter, info is good whom everwho posted it. I'm going to check with my doc on the B1! As i have been taking it for reducing protein spillage. There was a study done in 2008 which showed it helped. Now I'm worried to take it if it can be considered in the same group of B's in this report.
      Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by TRB View Post
        I think it was that clown TRB that posted it on KK. But no matter, info is good whom everwho posted it. I'm going to check with my doc on the B1! As i have been taking it for reducing protein spillage. There was a study done in 2008 which showed it helped. Now I'm worried to take it if it can be considered in the same group of B's in this report.
        Haha Tim! Hey I didn't even realize it helped with reducing Protein Spillage but I wish more Nephrologists were on top of just how much good B1 does! This is why I want my cousin to know about this as that is what he had.

Thanks for sharing it on KidneyKorner Tim
        Angie
        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Comment

Let me know what your neph. says TRB. I've been taking 300 mg of B-1 for about 6 weeks now as well. I don't think B-1 is included since they specifically mentioned the 3 supplements in the article (folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12). The article also did not specificly define what exactly a high-dose is. But it is worth checking - keep us posted. Thanks!
          Type II Diabetes & Stage 3 CKD

Comment

Originally posted by djl804 View Post
            Let me know what your neph. says TRB. I've been taking 300 mg of B-1 for about 6 weeks now as well. I don't think B-1 is included since they specifically mentioned the 3 supplements in the article (folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12). The article also did not specificly define what exactly a high-dose is. But it is worth checking - keep us posted. Thanks!
            That's what I was taking also. He approved me taking it before but with that report one would hate to be adding to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
              Haha Tim! Hey I didn't even realize it helped with reducing Protein Spillage but I wish more Nephrologists were on top of just how much good B1 does! This is why I want my cousin to know about this as that is what he had.

Thanks for sharing it on KidneyKorner Tim
              Angie I posted this at KK also on the same thread. This is why I was taking the B1.

Researchers at the University of Warwick have discovered high doses of thiamine (vitamin B1) can reverse the onset of early diabetic kidney disease.

Kidney disease, or diabetic nephropathy, develops progressively in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Early development of kidney disease is assessed by a high excretion rate of the protein albumin from the body in the urine, known as microalbuminuria.

The researchers have discovered taking high oral doses of thiamine can dramatically decrease the excretion of albumin and reverse early stage kidney disease in type 2 diabetes patients.

It was shown that 300 mg of thiamine taken orally each day for three months reduced the rate of albumin excretion in type 2 diabetes patients.

The albumin excretion rate was decreased by 41% from the value at the start of the study. The results also showed 35% of patients with microalbuminuria saw a return to normal urinary albumin excretion after being treated with thiamine.

Forty patients with type 2 diabetes aged between 35 and 65 years old took part in the trial. They were randomly assigned a placebo or 3 x 100mg tablets of thiamine a day for three months.

The Warwick research group has already conclusively proven that type 2 diabetes patients have a thiamine deficiency. In an earlier study led by Professor Paul Thornalley at Warwick Medical School, the research team showed that thiamine deficiency could be key to a range of vascular problems for diabetes patients.

Comment

HI Everyone

Just read the article on B vitamins. I have pernicious anemia and have been receiving B12 injections every 12 weeks for the last 15 years. Any idea how this will be affecting my kidney disease. I am at stage 3 with a gfr of 30 and I have protein with a lot of kidney damage.

Millie
                Millie

CKD Stage 4 with protein

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  HI Everyone

Just read the article on B vitamins. I have pernicious anemia and have been receiving B12 injections every 12 weeks for the last 15 years. Any idea how this will be affecting my kidney disease. I am at stage 3 with a gfr of 30 and I have protein with a lot of kidney damage.

Millie
                  Every case is different and news articles covers broad spectrum and speak in generalizations. Not everyone fits so I suggest talking this over with your Nephrologist or Urologist and print out the article and let him see it.
                  Angie

Comment

Working...
                  X