KidneyTalk Show: Doctor Diagnoses Himself with Kidney Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KidneyTalk Show: Doctor Diagnoses Himself with Kidney Disease

Dr. Peter Laird offers his perspective as both an internal medicine doctor and a person with chronic kidney disease. Please listen to Lori Hartwell and Dr. Laird as they discuss his telling experiences transitioning from a healthcare professional in charge of many other peoples health and being a patient. He shares his journey as a patient and his limited level of control over his own care. This is a show that patients and professionals should NOT miss!

http://www.rsnhope.org/programs/kidn...Laird_1202.php
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Re: KidneyTalk Show: Doctor Diagnoses Himself with Kidney Disease

Angie,

Thanks for the podcast - it was very interesting. I do have some questions, however - why did he choose not to have a transplant? It sounded like it was because of the risk of cancer??? Did I understand that correctly?? Also I wonder why he didn't discuss PD as a dialysis modality given that he was so adamant about how important it is to have more frequent, and longer dialysis.

I also thought he was a bit patronizing of his wife, maybe I just didn't get his sense of humor?

I guess the thing the interview made me think about was that for many people home HD is not an option (and neither is PD) so what are these people supposed to do? I am sure that insurance companies are not going to be too excited about extending coverage of more frequent in-center HD. I don't know what the solution to this problem is, and it makes me sad. The Dr./patient being interviewed has access to the best kidney Dr.s, in-center techs, etc. and I believe he is in the minority in this case.

I'm sorry if all of this sounds so negative. As a person with ESRD who has gotten a cadaver transplant (one of the lucky ones) - I would have liked it if the Dr. had said more about each treatment option, and about what the general public with ESRD can do to insure that they get the best possible care.

Thanks again for your link - I learn something new every time I visit this forum and feel fortunate that there are so many people out there who care.

Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by jmaryz View Post
      Angie,

Thanks for the podcast - it was very interesting. I do have some questions, however - why did he choose not to have a transplant? It sounded like it was because of the risk of cancer??? Did I understand that correctly?? Also I wonder why he didn't discuss PD as a dialysis modality given that he was so adamant about how important it is to have more frequent, and longer dialysis.

I also thought he was a bit patronizing of his wife, maybe I just didn't get his sense of humor?

I guess the thing the interview made me think about was that for many people home HD is not an option (and neither is PD) so what are these people supposed to do? I am sure that insurance companies are not going to be too excited about extending coverage of more frequent in-center HD. I don't know what the solution to this problem is, and it makes me sad. The Dr./patient being interviewed has access to the best kidney Dr.s, in-center techs, etc. and I believe he is in the minority in this case.

I'm sorry if all of this sounds so negative. As a person with ESRD who has gotten a cadaver transplant (one of the lucky ones) - I would have liked it if the Dr. had said more about each treatment option, and about what the general public with ESRD can do to insure that they get the best possible care.

Thanks again for your link - I learn something new every time I visit this forum and feel fortunate that there are so many people out there who care.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

If you would like the answers to that, which I don't know, you would have to ask on www.KidneySpace.com. Actually there is even a thread there about this!

I will give you the link:

http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php?topic=2617.0

I do think it is because of his past cancer as well and because of the higher risk of kidney cancer with the type he had I think he just doesn't want to risk the life of his new kidney so he opted not to get it. I think he is just speaking about his own experience. I have had 2 kidney transplants myself and would not want to stay forever on dialysis. Yet on the other hand I know a person who can't get a transplant and must be on dialysis for life in California.

I just posted it here because I think the KidneyTalk shows are informative. More can be found here:

http://www.rsnhope.info/programs/kidney_talk3.php

There are many shows there.

He mentions how at one time he thought why would anyone want to do home hemo as he had only been experienced with dialysis in the intensive care unit. Perhaps when he made the choice about no transplant he was talking from how he felt in the past? I am not sure if he still feels that way or was talking about when it came time to decide on which direction he wanted to head in.

I also wanted to post this radio show because he talks about Buttonhole and I know some people here were asking about it.

He was lucky he had a good nurse or tech to do the buttonhole as mine wasn't properly established and my buttonholes failed.

As for long slow gentler dialysis, that is the same thing that Dr. John Agar in Australia has discovered, saying that makes people feel the best on dialysis as well since our natural kidneys work 24/7 and then we do dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hrs (12hrs / week) and expect the same outcomes.

More dialysis is better but most people don't go for that. PD is better because you do your exchanges (or the night machine does for you all night) but are usually only 4 exchanges with 4 - 5 dwells depending on if you carry fluid during the day or not or if you only do day time (CAPD). Nocturnal is better if done 8 hrs but is still usually 3 days a week (I know a lady in PA on it) and NxStage is usually only short dialysis (I would have to ask Bill Peckham details on that). Longer dialysis is important to clean larger molecules and not just small and also is gentler on the body so you don't have as much cramping (which I used to get even with 1 liter of fluid on me since my runs were only 3 1/2 hrs instead of 4 hrs as my unit tried to get everyone in).
      Angie
      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Comment

Thanks for the links - you have a wealth of knowledge about CKD and are a great resource person!!

Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by jmaryz View Post
          Thanks for the links - you have a wealth of knowledge about CKD and are a great resource person!!

Joanne
          Naw there are plenty that know more than me! I just know where info is..

But, you are welcome!
          Angie

Comment

Joanne,

I know this is a double post but I just got this reply from the Doctor that was in that podcast and thought I would share it here:

http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php...16355#msg16355

Angie

Comment

Thanks Angie. This is a informative thread.
              ~ddarling~

Comment

How are you? I would like to Thanks for the informative post. I really appreciate it. I hope that I can get more benefit from this topic.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
                  Joanne,

I know this is a double post but I just got this reply from the Doctor that was in that podcast and thought I would share it here:

http://www.kidneyspace.com/index.php...16355#msg16355

Thanks for this post, this is great, even for a veteran like myself.
                  Glo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmoore View Post
                    Thanks for this post, this is great, even for a veteran like myself.
                    Glo
                    You are welcome
                    Angie

Comment

Working...
                    X