Baking Soda and CKD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking Soda and CKD

I was reading this short article about baking soda possibly helping slow the progression of kidney disease. I've attached the article. Has anyone else heard about this? What do you think?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Shock-Find...9169&opt=print
    ~ddarling~

Re: Baking Soda and CKD

It is not new news at all.

In fact some doctors prescribe baking soda after a transplant to assist the kidneys.
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Comment

baking soda has 150 mg. sodium per 1/8 tsp. How much would you have to take I wonder?

Comment

That's incredible! I never heard anything about this before now. Can I assume it might help even someone is already on dialysis? Or is it supposed to be preventative? I'd love to know more. Is there a way of finding out more? If anyone finds out more details, can you please post them. Thank you!

Comment

ddarling,
          I haven't heard anything about this fact about baking soda, but I have been using baking soda, since I was a kid living down south, when I brush my teeth, I don't know if it is helping my kidneys, but it keeps my teeth white, and it also helps my stomach to keep from me having any stomach upset. This is something I have always used with my arm and hammer toothpaste, and even more so since I have been on dialysis.

Glo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmoore View Post
            ddarling,
            I haven't heard anything about this fact about baking soda, but I have been using baking soda, since I was a kid living down south, when I brush my teeth, I don't know if it is helping my kidneys, but it keeps my teeth white, and it also helps my stomach to keep from me having any stomach upset. This is something I have always used with my arm and hammer toothpaste, and even more so since I have been on dialysis.

Glo
            Yes. I have heard about it, I am from Athens Greece and I have read a Greek article about a month ago that they are using baking soda on some kidney patients in Greece but I suppose you have to be monitored and see if it works for you , you see I am kind of afraid to use baking soda since it has all this sodium so I am waiting to see my nephrologist in about 2 weeks time and ask him what he thinks.....although I dont think they keep updated with simple remedies they only want to discuss medication etc
            but I will ask him anyway
            I would love to think this is going to be helpful for us kidney patients , I am on stage 3 and try to eat right hopefully I will delay the progression of my kidney disease as long as I can
            Please let us know if anyone knows anything more
            Thanks

Comment

Hi everyone,
              I just saw a different thread on this subject, but will share my opinion on this one as well. As Cindy 105 mentioned, sodium bicarbonate is very high in sodium. So while it may indeed have some possible benefits, it can be very harmful to patients with ckd. So never take it without checking with your doctor first.
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X