US Healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: US Healthcare

Now you see why we need a public option, we really need to do something about it. Tell me, your real proof of whats happening in this country, would you consider a public option?

Take a look at this: http://sickforprofit.com/

Originally posted by tyefly View Post
    Ok I just got my bill from my private insurance company and its has gone up.... I am to start diaysis this next tuesday..... my premium is 24% higher now.... I didnt even get notice or a explaination.... I was paying thru my business 796.00 per month for myself and my hubby.....now its 989.00.... I realize that thing go up but it sure seem funny that it is going up now..... and look how much.... I am still able to pay this and really dont have much choice.... I am glad that I own my home..... but if things continue to go up... then I dont know ..... Since there is no regulation to how high they can raise my premiums...they could go to 2000.00 per month.... they can do anything.....5 years ago we were paying around 450.00 per month for the same policy.... Are they going to price me to quit..... If I was to terminate my private insurance and go on medicare and have to pay the 20% what would that number be....higher than my private insurance now?
    What happens to people who cant pay the 20% of medicare.... Will I have to make my self broke,get a divorce and become homeless..... Or just die to say money..... I am just now starting Dialysis and I am finding out that life equal money and my money is not growing ..... I am torn on what to do..... what do others do.... how do they pay for medicare.... how do they pay for their meds..... how do they live....
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Comment

That can be played on the public option also. You don't think fraud is now present within Medicare and Medicaid? My opinion is to address the issues we see now with these public options before compounding it further.

Medicare’s annual anti-fraud budget is $465 billion. (Miami Herald, August 11, 2008)
      Medicare and Medicaid made an estimated $23.7 billion in improper payments in 2007. These included $10.8 billion for Medicare and $12.9 billion for Medicaid. Medicare’s fee-for-service reduced its error rate from 4.4 percent to 3.9 percent. (U.S. Office of Management and Budget, 2008)
      Medicare and Medicaid lose an estimated $60 billion or more annually to fraud, including $2.5 billion in South Florida. (Miami Herald, August 11, 2008)
      Every $1 spent on Medicare fraud prevention would stop $10 in fraud. (U.S.Department of Health and Human Services) (Miami Herald)
      Medicare spends less than 0.2 cents of every $1 of its $456 billion annual budget combating fraud, waste and abuse. (Miami Herald, August 11, 2008)
      Medicare paid dead physicians 478,500 claims totaling up to $92 million from 2000 to 2007. These claims included 16,548 to 18,240 deceased physicians. (U.S. Senate Permanent Committee on Investigations, 2008)
      Nearly one of three claims (29 percent) Medicare paid for durable medical equipment was erroneous in FY 2006. (Inspector General report, Department of Health and Human Services, August 2008)
      Medicare and private health insurers pay up to $16 billion a year for needless imaging tests ordered by doctors. (American College of Radiology, 2004)

Medicare paid more than $1 billion in questionable claims for 18 categories of medical supplies for patients that don’t appear to need. The study covered claims between January 2001 and December 2006. The claims included walkers for patients with purported sinus congestion, paraplegia or shoulder injuries. Hundreds of thousands of claims were made for diabetes-related glucose test strips for patients with purported breathing problems, bubonic plague, leprosy or sexual impotence. (U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, 2008)
      Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Comment

I am all for the public option.... of any option.... I want regulation to keep the insurance companies from raising rates.. 24% is too much.... just like credit card companies... we have credit cards.... we manage them well but we dont carry alot of balance so they dont make very much money from me.... So what do they do .. they raise my interest rate..... from 5.99 to 17 on one card and 23 on another.... and they were not done with that, they lowered my credit limit by 60 percent.... Now there I dont want to use them at all.... it is nice to have a emergency reserve.... or what ever...I have everything paid for, my house, auto and all my companies assets.... I only pay for insurance and overhead expenses... My husbund and I will not be able to retire ever cause our health insurance policy is thru our business and now that I have CKD I will never beable to get other health insurance..... We are stuck.... like many others... I am mad.... sad.... and disappointed with it all... I know that we have it pretty good compared to some but we have worked hard all of our lives to try to put together something... I have two houses and use to have good paying stocks... ( thats another story)....
        Ok I have ranted enough.... I am going out side on this beautiful Sat to enjoy the day and do some gardening......... I sitll love life.....
        Kathy Hello from Oregon......

Comment

Kathy,

I don't want to get into a health care debate....as I am pretty screwed myself because I have had cancer and a few other things. I now get insurance from my husband. If anything happened to that I would not be able to get any health insurance ( unless I offer up my first born) ....and that is just plain wrong. Also. even though the recent ( first time) visit to a Nephrologist says I don't have CKD. My regular doctor says I do...plus a few other opinions agree with her assessment. I've had three postitive tests so I am a marked woman when it comes to medical insurance.

But, you asked a question about how do others pay for the 20% that medicare doesn't cover. Well, I have my mother with Alzheimers living with me so I handle much of her health care. She has a secondary insurance called United Health care ( AARP reccomends it I think?) that covers the other 20%. She rarely gets any medical bills. She has quite a few health problems and did so before she even had medicare. I think they take about 100+ dollars out of her social security.... but darned if I can find where the secondary insurance is deducted?

And, I am so sorry your insurance went up. How upsetting. Just doesn't seem right.

Oh about that secondary insurance.... I don't think it can be turned down because of pre-existing conditions but that would be a good thing to find out? And, of course you have to wait until you are 65 before any of it kicks in. I also think that most people do use some type of secondary insurance but it may differ depending upon what state you live in. To be honest I don't know much about it except what seems to work for my mother.
          Diane ~ Sonoma County California

Comment

Just so I'm clear here, I'm not against health care reform. I just find the theory that a mis-funded & mis-managed public option is the save all to all our health care needs. I want all to have proper health care but let's do it correctly! I run a business and even my 25 year employees with no health issues have increases to their premiums each year. Fraud, costs and treatment is what needs to be addressed not just a public or private plan. Most important issue to me is not to exclude anyone from having health care. Be it a public or private someone is going to pay for whichever option is available! Thinking costs will disappear with a public option is just something I don't agree with. I'm also not trying to have a debate with others here on the forum! Just adding my view is all and wish everyone the best.
            Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Comment

Oh dear.... I didn't have anyone in mind when I made my comment about not wanting to get into a health care debate. That would be exhausting. And, I have a party to go to today ;-) No time to tackle all the emotions/issues concerning this very hot healthcare debate. It's a very complicated issue. That's all I was thinking of. And, frankly, I think it is going to be really hard to come up with a perfect health plan. I just don't think the one we have now is working well for a great deal of people. Even those who have health insurance at the present time. I think it is a broken system and I could come up with plenty of reasons/examples of why that is so. But, I know that there will be problems with the public health care component as well.

And, besides... I respect other peoples opinion. Even if I disagree.

Now, I'm off to have some wine and fun....
              Diane ~ Sonoma County California

Comment

Working...
              X