US Healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Healthcare

Anyone have concerns on how the current Health-care debate could effect those with the need for dialysis or transplant?
    Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Re: US Healthcare

Yes, you should be concerned and also should contact your state's congressman/congresswoman and voice your concerns. You also should "Take Action"

I support Healthcare Reform, but as dialysis patients we need to be sure the reform bill does not leave us under the water, so contact your lawmakers and voice your concerns. Tell them you don;t want dialysis nor transplantation rationed.

Originally posted by TRB View Post
    Anyone have concerns on how the current Health-care debate could effect those with the need for dialysis or transplant?
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Comment

Done!

I'm doing everything I can to stay in stage 3. Been doing a ton of reading which I wish I had known about back in stage 1 or 2. But I didn't so I will do the best I can from this point forward. I also support health-care reform but not in the manner that is being pushed upon us with little debate. I've been singled out because I have diabetes. I own a small company that provides health-care to its employees at no cost to them. Trying to find fair rates with my diabetes is very tough at times. Forget about getting coverage by myself! The one thing that scares me the most with CKD is being able to run my company.

Comment

I really think the HealthCare reform may be the solution for very affordable HealthCare insurance for all including small businesses. Take a look at Germany's Universal healthcare...

- Example Universal HealthCare in Germany
        - Kelly Brosch who once lived in Europe's Universal HealthCare, her thoughts

Our only job as citizens is to make sure that the legislators have read the bill and they clarify what they are saying in that bill, most important that we dialysis patient citizens are not stripped from the quality of services we recieve for dialysis and transplantation.

Done!

I'm doing everything I can to stay in stage 3. Been doing a ton of reading which I wish I had known about back in stage 1 or 2. But I didn't so I will do the best I can from this point forward. I also support health-care reform but not in the manner that is being pushed upon us with little debate. I've been singled out because I have diabetes. I own a small company that provides health-care to its employees at no cost to them. Trying to find fair rates with my diabetes is very tough at times. Forget about getting coverage by myself! The one thing that scares me the most with CKD is being able to run my company.
        My Blog Site
        sigpic

Comment

Here's interesting section of the Health Reform Bill.........

HR3200p420-3 Dialysis pts get Medicare. If pt gets kidney transplant & loses M'care, it will still cover anti-rejection drugs 4 life
          My Blog Site
          sigpic

Comment

I did not know this was in the new bill.......... That is the best news.... I have been told that I will probably loose my private insurance after I get my transplant and medicare is up for me in three years.... then my private will have to pay for the drugs.... and from what I heard they find ways to get rid of you .... its our small business insurance and well..... Scares me.....
            Kathy Hello from Oregon......

Comment

God forbid, what if a transplant fails and one needs dialysis again. Do they get to go back on Medicare?

Comment

Yes, if you go back on dialysis Medicare takea care of that but if you also have private insurance that also will cover a portion of the expenses.

Also, checkout this new government website that defines and clarifies what the Healthcare Reform means to us and also dispells rumors and myths floating around.

Reality Check: HealthCare Reform

God forbid, what if a transplant fails and one needs dialysis again. Do they get to go back on Medicare?
                My Blog Site
                sigpic

Comment

With all do respect I have issues believing anything the White House states as fact. There are many reputable sites which claim there are many flaws in the health plan. Which side of the fence one stands on is mainly how you view Washington in general. Myself I think they all are crooks!

Comment

tyefly -- be afraid. BE VERY AFRAID! We were forced our of our insurance, they raised the premiums at the small company for whom we worked, I am convinced that it was directly because of MM's kidney ailments. For us that meant $850 a month insurance premiums which we could not afford. I never asked the company what happened after we cancelled our insurance.

Now we are scre^wed. MM cannot get insurance from anyone excepting the State but Texas has preexisting conditions. Who wants to pay $650 a month for insurance and Still Have to Pay for Every Single Thing we do now? Not me friend, I don't that kind of money. So here we are paying everything out of pocket and I have to say I have not stiffed anyone thus far, we have paid every single Dr visit, all the pills, lab tests and other various tests ultrasounds, biopsies etc etc etc that we have done for almost 2 years.

I will say this tho: I sincerely believe INSURANCE to be one of our greatest problems. MM had this same kidney problem 10 yrs ago (went into remission for 10 yrs) and we still have not spent half of what we did then, and we had insurance at that time. His stint last time lasted almost 2 yrs, we are approaching that now. So, insurance is partly to blame for our current problems. Why in He]] does it cost $145K to have a kidney transplant? That is highway robbery. Insurance is why!

OK, I'm juming off the horse now.

Comment

Medicare, Medicaid, social security and other programs are government programs. What am sure is most BIG private insurance companies are afraid of the public option and if you ask why cuz they fear they will lose their profit machine. Who is most likely to pay for a transplant or other life sustaining treatment, government or private? Take for example this story below.........

Cancer Girl's Lawyer Blames CIGNA For Her Death

With all do respect I have issues believing anything the White House states as fact. There are many reputable sites which claim there are many flaws in the health plan. Which side of the fence one stands on is mainly how you view Washington in general. Myself I think they all are crooks!
                      My Blog Site
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok..I'll jump into this discussion. I worked in the insurance industry for 28 years though it was not the health insurance end. The real problem is that deregulation which occurred in the 80's and 90's allowed insurance carriers to diversify their investments which led to investing in companies such as health care providers, pharmaceutical companies, financial companies, etc.

When it comes to paying a claim, the government regulations provide that for each dollar taken in from premiums, a large portion of it must be held in heavily regulated types of accounts called "reserve accounts" and the insurance company can not invest those dollars. So, the profit for an insurance company comes not from the premiums paid in but from their investment portfolios which is largely made up of.....you guessed it...investments in these other companies. So...when the health care provider (such as a hospital group or large diagnostic group) makes money, the insurance company makes money. No wonder the health insurannce carrier doesn't mind paying large claims...they are making a return on their investment in the portfolio.

My husbands dialysis care has more than doubled for the same care he was receiving last year. Even though we are fortunate enough to have insurance and Medicare is helping with what our primary carrier doesn't pay, it still makes me very angry to see the amounts that are being charged by the providers. When a preferred provider under our insurance plan bills a large amount and but is obligated to accept " the plan allowance", why should they then be entitled to bill the balance to Medicare? What a racket!
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
                        It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Comment

Renal Expert Appeals for Universal Health Coverage, Pre-Existing Exclusion Ban

“I am alive today because of the Medicare ESRD program,” says Hartwell, a three-time kidney transplant recipient and founder and president of the nationwide non-profit Renal Support Network (RSN). “As someone whose life literally depended on government-issued healthcare for dialysis, I am an avid proponent of affordable healthcare options and preventing insurance companies from discriminating against people who have a pre-existing condition. We need options that allow people to have access to the healthcare services they need to survive and thrive and will help prevent future chronic illnesses.” CLICK HERE TO READ FULL STORY

My Blog Site
                          sigpic

Comment

Green Tea and hypertension:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here. I'm currently following the Spectrum. Today is the 28th day since I began. I am overweight, and have lost nearly 7 pounds. I have hypertension which is controlled by medication.
                            In the Spectrum, Dr. talks at length about the benefits of drinking green tea. He also mentions that in some people, it can help lower BP.
                            Since I already have hypertension controlled by medication, is it safe to drink 4 to 5 cups a day, as he recommends? Or, should I confine my drinking to decaffeinated green tea, and if so, does the decaffeinate process weaken the benefits of the tea?

thank you,

Comment

Ok I just got my bill from my private insurance company and its has gone up.... I am to start diaysis this next tuesday..... my premium is 24% higher now.... I didnt even get notice or a explaination.... I was paying thru my business 796.00 per month for myself and my hubby.....now its 989.00.... I realize that thing go up but it sure seem funny that it is going up now..... and look how much.... I am still able to pay this and really dont have much choice.... I am glad that I own my home..... but if things continue to go up... then I dont know ..... Since there is no regulation to how high they can raise my premiums...they could go to 2000.00 per month.... they can do anything.....5 years ago we were paying around 450.00 per month for the same policy.... Are they going to price me to quit..... If I was to terminate my private insurance and go on medicare and have to pay the 20% what would that number be....higher than my private insurance now?
                              What happens to people who cant pay the 20% of medicare.... Will I have to make my self broke,get a divorce and become homeless..... Or just die to say money..... I am just now starting Dialysis and I am finding out that life equal money and my money is not growing ..... I am torn on what to do..... what do others do.... how do they pay for medicare.... how do they pay for their meds..... how do they live....
                              Kathy Hello from Oregon......

Comment

Working...
                              X