Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actions you can take when you find out that you have chronic kidney disease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actions you can take when you find out that you have chronic kidney disease?

You have been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, which can result from problems such as infections, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney stones, circulation problems, and reactions to medication. Having kidney disease means making many changes in your life. Learn as much as you can about it so that you can better adjust to these changes. Here are some things you can do to help your condition.
    Diet Changes
    • Cut back on salt.
    o Limit canned, dried, packaged, and fast foods.
    o Don’t add salt to your food at the table.
    o Season foods with herbs instead of salt when you cook.
    • Reduce the potassium in your diet, as instructed.
    o Use bread and cereal items that are not whole-grain.
    o Avoid nuts, peanut butter, dried beans, and peas.
    o Avoid salt substitutes, such as Mrs. Dash, Morton Salt Substitute, and AlsoSalt.
    o Cut back on protein. East less meat, milk products, yogurt, eggs, and cheese.
    • Eat small, frequent meals that are high in fiber and calories.
    Other Home Care
    • Avoid wearing yourself out or becoming overly fatigued.
    • Get plenty of rest and increase the amount of sleep you get at night.
    • Move around and bend your legs to avoid getting blood clots when you rest for a long period of time.
    • Weigh yourself every day. Do this at the same time of day and in the same kind of clothes. Keep a record of your daily weights.
    • Take your medications exactly as directed.
    • Keep all medical appointments.
    • Take steps to control high blood pressure or diabetes. Talk to your doctor for advice.
    • Talk to your doctor about dialysis. You may benefit from this procedure.
    Follow-Up
    Make a follow-up appointment as directed by your medical staff.
    When to Call Your Doctor
    Call your doctor right away if you have any of the following:
    • Trouble eating or drinking
    • Weight loss/gain of more than 2 pounds in 24 hours or more than 5 pounds in 7 days
    • Little or no urine output
    • Trouble breathing
    • Muscle aches
    • Fever of 100.4°F or higher, or chills
    • Blood in your urine or stool
    • Bloody discharge from your nose, mouth, or ears
    • Severe headache or a seizure
    • Vomiting
    • Swelling of legs or ankles
    • Chest pain (call 911)
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Re: Actions you can take when you find out that you have chronic kidney disease?

Thanks Des. This is great advice.
    ~ddarling~

Comment

Re: Actions you can take when you find out that you have chronic kidney disease?

thaks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by ddarling View Post
        Thanks Des. This is great advice.
        Pleasure.
        I remember how overwhelming all the information was when I was first diagnosed 7 years ago. This is it in a nutshell. Once you've taken this in THEN you read up on the finer detail. It is just enough info not to scare the living daylights out of you. If it helps the "new" guys on the site I am happy.
        Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Comment

how long have you had kidney disease iv had for many years also due to birth defects both kidneys it sucks being on the renal diet who knows if the diet will ever chang the doc doesnt know

Comment

All the newly diagnosed.... this will help

Comment

Working...
            X