Dry Pack or Reuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Pack or Reuse?

Hi everyone. I was wondering what is "better" a dry pack kidney or a reuse? I have a dry pack and my kt/v is fairly steady at 2.58 - give or take. Any comments? Thank you.

Re: Dry Pack or Reuse?

I have only ever done a re-use except for when I first started out. I was told that you get better dialysis with the re-use kidneys because the filters are better, but I wouldn't have any basis for comparison.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Reuse can be better if it's done correctly because your natural antibodies are retained and filtration can be better. The big down sides are human error and the dangerous chemicals used in the cleaning process. I use new ones.
      Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
      Flip

Comment

I am completely against re-use. Long term dialysis on my end didn't bring good results with re-use. Side-effects, and allergies developed after many years of re-use. Once demanding to stop re-use all those side-effects stopped and feel much better. Seriously, clinics need to stop using chemicals such as Renalin to clean dialyzers, they should use much safer methods.

Originally posted by Samson'sMom View Post
        Hi everyone. I was wondering what is "better" a dry pack kidney or a reuse? I have a dry pack and my kt/v is fairly steady at 2.58 - give or take. Any comments? Thank you.
        My Blog Site
        Http://www.dailyhemo.org
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you Chefnancy, Flip & Gustine! I trust you all to know what is best. It seems that although there are many benefits to using the re-use kidney I fear receiving another patient's kidney. We have had an abundance of entire staff turn over in addition to "no shows". That is one of the reasons I learned to stick my own needles. That and the unsafe chemicals are enough for me to stay with the dry pack. Thanks again!

Comment

Another problem is that many centers buy really cheap dialyzers for those who don't reuse. Make sure they use name brands like Baxter or Fresenius.
            Flip

Comment

Another reason not to reuse

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2008...e_dialysi.html
              Flip

Comment

It is for this reason (potential exposure to Renalin) and potential exposure to another patient's dialyzer (and, therefore, to his/her blood) that I check the dialyzer on my machine to make sure it is mine and also make the tech do the clearance test in front of me and show me the strip. In our center the practice of double signing is pretty rigorously adhered to, but I like to be extra sure so I do my own checking.

Comment

Oh my Goodness Flip, that is such a sad story and so scary too. I am glad that you double check your dialyzer Chefnancy. I was told that economics play a large role in technicians strongly suggesting the re-use. Has anyone else heard this?

Comment

I imagine it does play a part, but it is undeniably true that the filters in the re-use dialyzers are superior to the ones in the single use ones. The single use ones meet the minimum standards whereas the re-use ones have much finer filters.

Comment

So, are you all saying that a dry pack dialyzer is more effective and cleaner than a reuse dialyzer? I am not sure which one I am using but I will definitely find out when I go back to the dialysis center. I do check to see if my name is on the dialyzer before I go on the dialysis machine.

Comment

If your name is on the dialyzer then you are using a re-use. And my assessment is just the opposite of your conclusion. If re-use is done correctly you have the advantage of finer, higher quality filters and the advantage of your own antibodies. Also, some people are allergic to the chemicals in the filters of single use dialyzers.

Comment

Originally posted by chefnancy View Post
                          If your name is on the dialyzer then you are using a re-use. And my assessment is just the opposite of your conclusion. If re-use is done correctly you have the advantage of finer, higher quality filters and the advantage of your own antibodies. Also, some people are allergic to the chemicals in the filters of single use dialyzers.

Thank you for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by flipw View Post
                            Reuse can be better if it's done correctly because your natural antibodies are retained and filtration can be better. The big down sides are human error and the dangerous chemicals used in the cleaning process. I use new ones.

My dialysis center basically uses reuse dialyzers for some reason. How did you begin using dry packs? Did your doctor have to approve your using a dry pack each time you dialyze? I am beginning to think that this is the type of dialyzer I need to use too.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson'sMom View Post
                              Oh my Goodness Flip, that is such a sad story and so scary too. I am glad that you double check your dialyzer Chefnancy. I was told that economics play a large role in technicians strongly suggesting the re-use. Has anyone else heard this?

Yes, I heard the same thing at my center. Whenever I asked about a dry pack, I was told that it was not good to use this because it may make you sicker that what you are because you do not know what you'r getting and that re-use is the best way to go because you will be reusing what's already there for you and it is cheaper also or somehting to that effect. That is why I continued using the reusable dialyzers which don't seem to be doing too well for me as far as I am concerned especially since I have to utilize so much of that saline to keep me from feeling bad before I get off the machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X