Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renal Diet Guidelines - Suggested Reading

Hi, Dave here,
    I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome (FSGS) just under 3 years ago.
    If (like I was) you are looking for a guide to provide you with the information you require that can help you access the right diet for your particular type of kidney issue then I believe I have located just the book.
    I recently bought a book that is stacked full of information about all aspects of kidneys and kidney disease including causes and treatments as well as over 100 pages of recipes suitable for kidney disease patients like us.
    I can thoroughly reccommend it and for a comprehensive and unbiased review of it please visit

www.kidneydietsecretsreview.com

Those of you that get a copy please report back on what you think of it
    All the best
    Dave

Re: Renal Diet Guidelines - Suggested Reading

Hmm.. your review of the book seems good but I don't know if I would buy that book. There are much better books out there.

As for this:

There Are Only 4 Reasons Why You Get Kidney Disease...
    1.) Genes - Sad fact be told, if you have a family member having some form of kidney disease, chances are, you have will have it too. In addition, some kidney diseases come straight from genetic predisposition like polycystic kidney disease or PKD.

2.) Lack of Activity - Sedentary lifestyle help very little in your health. And with the changing times, more and more people spend most of their time in a chair at home and at work.
    3.) Faulty Nutrition - Most people are guilty of this. Even I have been through this in my early 20's. But who is to be blamed? With the ever changing lifestyle habits of people, it has become unavoidable.

4.) Drugs - Some patients develop kidney failure by extensive use of painkillers like motrin.
    And that's it. It may sound very rough right now if you know you are guilty of even 1 of the 4 above. And as you may have realized already, it is definitely not your fault.
    I'm not just saying that either - you really will be able to see huge improvements in just a short space of time if you follow what you're about to discover.

I had to comment.

Only 4 reasons? I have to disagree (kinda) because even though I guess it would be Genes my kidney disease was not hereditary but was just a birth defect that could have been fixed and since it wasn't it led to kidney failure. I was a baby so it could not have been the other 3. But I still say there are more than 4 reasons people end up with kidney disease. Yes diet and lack of exercise are a huge part and yes some are hereditary as well as certain medications (even some used in medical tests) do lead to it. However I think there are more reasons but just a percentage. Such as what about accidents that lead to kidney disease or other things in the body that don't directly effect kidneys but indirectly lead to kidney disease?
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Thanks Angie for your reply. Just the sort of thing I was hoping for, an honest and objective viewpoint. Like you I am not an expert but I felt very comfortable with what the book put forward.
      As it says all the information is taken from research whereas your objections (which I respect) are based on theory, which you admit to yourself with the comment "However I think there are more reasons"
      Anyway, it is not for me to be confrontational especially as you complimented me on my review. At the end of the day, I believe the book provides a service which may or may not be what you or others are looking for.
      At least anyone buying it has 60 days to change their mind if they end up feeling the same way about it as yourself.
      I would also appreciate further comments both positive and negative. After seeing that the thread has had in excess of 1000 views I'd like to think there'd be a few more people willing to express an opinion
      Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but at l got there in the end
      Dave (still going strong as i come up to my 3rd anniversary of diagnosis)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
        Thanks Angie for your reply. Just the sort of thing I was hoping for, an honest and objective viewpoint. Like you I am not an expert but I felt very comfortable with what the book put forward.
        As it says all the information is taken from research whereas your objections (which I respect) are based on theory, which you admit to yourself with the comment "However I think there are more reasons"
        Anyway, it is not for me to be confrontational especially as you complimented me on my review. At the end of the day, I believe the book provides a service which may or may not be what you or others are looking for.
        At least anyone buying it has 60 days to change their mind if they end up feeling the same way about it as yourself.
        I would also appreciate further comments both positive and negative. After seeing that the thread has had in excess of 1000 views I'd like to think there'd be a few more people willing to express an opinion
        Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but at l got there in the end
        Dave (still going strong as i come up to my 3rd anniversary of diagnosis)
        Hey any book with kidney disease in mind is good in my book! We definitely need more and I encourage people to put out more to raise awareness, education, etc as it is another needed resource!

But with any book it is important that people do not use it as a source of diagnosis but always seek the advice of their doctor and ask questions that arise from reading the book as everyone's situation is different.

I do like how you address how to hold of kidney disease by diet. That is very important and so many doctors do not even address that soon enough!
        Angie
        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
          Hmm.. your review of the book seems good but I don't know if I would buy that book. There are much better books out there.

As for this:

I had to comment.

Only 4 reasons? I have to disagree (kinda) because even though I guess it would be Genes my kidney disease was not hereditary but was just a birth defect that could have been fixed and since it wasn't it led to kidney failure. I was a baby so it could not have been the other 3. But I still say there are more than 4 reasons people end up with kidney disease. Yes diet and lack of exercise are a huge part and yes some are hereditary as well as certain medications (even some used in medical tests) do lead to it. However I think there are more reasons but just a percentage. Such as what about accidents that lead to kidney disease or other things in the body that don't directly effect kidneys but indirectly lead to kidney disease?
          I had to comment as well.

My husband has IgA nephropathy, a chronic auto-immune condition, that causes his kidney to fail.It is not genetic. His identical twin brother doesn't have it.

He had a transplant 13 years ago and needs another now. He is currently on the list (has been for a year) but is on dialysis 3X a week, 4 hours each time. He still works full time (to retain his health insurance,which pays for dialysis 100%). Dialysis costs a bunch as some already know.

Comment

My husband has problems with disliking the food made from DaVita recipes. I am experimenting since he refuses to eat anything he dislikes.

Comment

Thanks very much for posting. I have sent you a personal message but I would just like to say that I can appreciate that it must be particularly difficult for you and your husband at a time like this.
              I'd like to think that I don't make any wild claims about the book, but the fact that it has around 100 pages of recipes geared towards people with various kidney issues should hopefully mean that there should be a few things that your husband may find to his taste (literally)
              I know a number of people have purchased the guide via one of the links I have posted although I don't know if any of them have come via this forum. It would be great if anyone who has bought the book could post their comments here in order to help others make an informed choice.
              As you can see I will come back on a regular basis to respond to any opinions or issues that anyone may wish to raise, although I am not an expert on the subject, just a guy with CKD like most of you.
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

Could you send me some recipies please? I need to cook for my 10 year old nephew who has kidney disease and is on dialysis. He is on a low sodium, low phosphorus, low potassium diet. Thank you!

Comment

Due to copyright issues, I'm afraid I can't send you the recipes, only a link to the guide that has them. If it doesn't meet your needs, at least you have the option to return it for a full refund

www.kidneydietsecretsreview.com

Hope this helps
                  regards
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by tonyagordon View Post
                    Could you send me some recipies please? I need to cook for my 10 year old nephew who has kidney disease and is on dialysis. He is on a low sodium, low phosphorus, low potassium diet. Thank you!
                    Hello TonyaGordon,

There is a recipe book posted online from the National Kidney Foundation with a lot of recipes to get you started and best of all it's free! Follow this link and scroll down on the page until you see - Living Well on Dialysis: A Cookbook for patients and their families. Serving size and nutritional intake are provided on every recipe, which will help you stay on track with his intake. Best of luck to you and your nephew. You must be a wonderful aunt for looking out for him, great job!

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozTopic_Nutrition-Diet.cfm
                    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

TonyaGordon,

I am trying to post a link for you to a recipe book on the National Kidney Foundation website (wish a moderator would fix my posting issues on this forum!) which is free and full of information that will help you monitor your nephew's nutritional intake. It's wonderful of you to take care of him in this way, you must be a wonderful aunt. Hopefully this will post so you can get the book. Scroll down the page until you see Living well on dialysis- a cookbook for patients and their families.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozTopic_Nutrition-Diet.cfm

My best to you!
                      Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X