Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooking for David

Originally posted by TRB View Post
    Protein in the urine is what causes it from the information I have. While all my other numbers are good. I have an elevated protein/urine level.
    I was young when I lost my original kidneys so I don't remember that. I was 16. But I also know that everyone is different. I have heard of the foamy urine from a LOT of people though.

The first time around I Was told by my Nephrologist to stay away from Milk, cheese and neat because of the Protein in the urine though.
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I emailed my dietitian the following and received this response.

I picked up a book called, Cooking for David. While this is a cookbook for a dialysis patient. As long as I keep my protein and sodium in check it should be OK for a stage 3 CDK patient correct?

Response:
      Yes, you are correct. This can be a helpful resource since the recipes include all the nutrition facts.
      Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
        As for if the diets would work for pre-dialysis .. I was told that the diet for pre-dialysis is not much different than a normal healthy diet - except with not excess protein and watching to not add added salt on anything and if your blood pressure is up or you tend to retain water, to look for things with less salt or low salt items and stay away from canned things as they are known to have a higher salt content no matter what.

I'm currently pre-dialysis (and hope to stay that way), but on my "diet" I have to watch it all....protein, sodium, phosphorus and potassium. Sometimes I feel like it really doesn't leave me much to eat, and I constantly do worry about malnutrition and staying somewhat healthy.

Canned items do have a trumendous amount of salt, especially canned soups. I have seen no salt canned corn and canned green beans. I try to stay with fresh or frozen vegetables. I really do miss the canned soups - they tasted so good, especially my favorites which were tomato soup and french onion soup. Now I make homemade chicken or vegetable soup. What do people use for good flavouring that you can actually taste that isn't bad for us???
        ~ddarling~

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
          I was young when I lost my original kidneys so I don't remember that. I was 16. But I also know that everyone is different. I have heard of the foamy urine from a LOT of people though.

The first time around I Was told by my Nephrologist to stay away from Milk, cheese and neat because of the Protein in the urine though.
          Really?
          could you not eat cheese if you were to not eat meats or much meat?
          I do not like muchmeats so if I buy some it is usually expensive meat from a local store.
          no idea on the salt in it, but I do not eat enough of it to worry..maybe 2 or 3 a month smoked meat..a very tiny peice -they sell all natural smoked meat around here )

I persoally like vegetables over rice.
          this chinese store I shop at for lunch every day they sell d ifferent chicken or vegetables over rice. you can get mushrooms and sauce over white ricefor $4!
          it is quite "healthy" asit is steamed chinese mushrooms (no salt or fat) with sauce and plain white rice.you can pay .25 for brown rrice ifyou really want, but I prefer white rice anyways...

Comment

Milk, cheese, and other dairy products are very high in potassium. That's why we have to avoid or limit our intake of these foods. I, too, miss tomato soup --with a grilled cheese sandwich !! Oh well...I save my cheese intake for something really special -- like at a Mexican restaurant for a chile rellano. Sooo good, and definitely not something I'd attempt at home.

As a milk substitute, look for Rice Dream ORIGINAL rice milk. The box may also say "un-enriched." If it is enriched, it will have added calcium (a no-no) as well as other minerals.
            Janice

PS - brown rice has a higher mineral content than white rice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ottawagirl View Post
              Really?
              could you not eat cheese if you were to not eat meats or much meat?
              I do not like muchmeats so if I buy some it is usually expensive meat from a local store.
              no idea on the salt in it, but I do not eat enough of it to worry..maybe 2 or 3 a month smoked meat..a very tiny peice -they sell all natural smoked meat around here )

I persoally like vegetables over rice.
              this chinese store I shop at for lunch every day they sell d ifferent chicken or vegetables over rice. you can get mushrooms and sauce over white ricefor $4!
              it is quite "healthy" asit is steamed chinese mushrooms (no salt or fat) with sauce and plain white rice.you can pay .25 for brown rrice ifyou really want, but I prefer white rice anyways...
              Everything within limitation. Before I started dialysis I didn't really have a hard time with meat because I was never a huge meat eater but I loved milk (still do). But once I started dialysis I had a hard time keeping my protein up!

White rice is lower in Phosphate and is very good for us I believe I like rice too with veggies
              Angie
              Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
              I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
              • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
              • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
              • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I am pre-dialysis, Stage 4 and my diet is quite restricted. Only 3 ounces of protein a day, low sodium, low phosphorous, low potassium, low calcium. Not easy to figure out what I can eat..they tell me "avoid does not mean eliminate"..but exactly what does avoid mean then? I have been very strict about sticking to my diet and it made me feel better within 2 weeks..also, my creatinine levels have improved somewhat. I wil do whatever it takes to be as healthy as I can be. From what I understand, Pre-dialysis diet and dialysis diets are much different. The nephrologist is not very helpful with this and either is his staff (They don't know how it feels to wonder what you can can eat). Cooking for David has pre-dialysis recipes.

Comment

I actually bought the book for my guy and tried some of the recipies. They are very good but the biggest thing is that they are quite tolerable even for those not on a dialysis diet so you can still eat meals together with out having to have seperate meals.

Comment

Working...
                  X