Cooking for David

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking for David

I recently purchased this cookbook. Lots for information and recipes. At $25.00 I think it is well worth the cost.

Cooking for David
    Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Re: Cooking for David

Originally posted by TRB View Post
    I recently purchased this cookbook. Lots for information and recipes. At $25.00 I think it is well worth the cost.

Cooking for David

Oh yes I have heard VERY good things about that book! Have you tried any of the recipes yet?
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hey ..purchased this cookbook too.. early in my diagnosis..forgot I had it & have since rediscovered it. Haven't tried any recipes yet but there is a wealth of other info very helpful to the newbie & the veteran. I would also add I have spent the best part of the afternoon downloading & printing out booklets found on the AAKP website that you referred someone to in another post Angie.. This site is great & the "Nutition Counter" is indispemsable. I'm diabetic & potassium & phosperhous overloaded & this counter will prove very very helpful. Thank you all...I love it here!!!
      This is truly a support forum!
      "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
      Type 2 Diabetic
      Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
      feeling stronger every day! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by angieskidney View Post
        Oh yes I have heard VERY good things about that book! Have you tried any of the recipes yet?
        I'm set for the week. But will try some this weekend. Just reading through I found some recipes I liked. Plus the info on items that are good and bad helps in overall preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by Feelinlost View Post
          Hey ..purchased this cookbook too.. early in my diagnosis..forgot I had it & have since rediscovered it. Haven't tried any recipes yet but there is a wealth of other info very helpful to the newbie & the veteran. I would also add I have spent the best part of the afternoon downloading & printing out booklets found on the AAKP website that you referred someone to in another post Angie.. This site is great & the "Nutition Counter" is indispemsable. I'm diabetic & potassium & phosperhous overloaded & this counter will prove very very helpful. Thank you all...I love it here!!!
          This is truly a support forum!
          Oh you mean the one that Janice told me about here:
          http://www.davita.com/forum/showthre...nter#post29656

Yeah us members work together nicely don't we!

And now that the DaVita staff are on top of getting rid of the spammers it has been nice to be here again!

I want to get that book myself but I don't own a credit card and live in Canada and I could not find it in my book store. But once day I will get it. One day.
          Angie
          Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search

Comment

Oh you mean the one that Janice told me about here:
            http://www.davita.com/forum/showthre...nter#post29656

Yeah us members work together nicely don't we!

And now that the DaVita staff are on top of getting rid of the spammers it has been nice to be here again!

I want to get that book myself but I don't own a credit card and live in Canada and I could not find it in my book store. But once day I will get it. One day.
            Yep that's the website & yep "we" do.....so thanks Janice...too
            "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

The past few days when I sent a spam alert. It was removed in a fair amount of time.

Comment

Anyone know how bad Cholula Hot Sauce is for us?

Comment

What kind of recipes does the book have, does it have pre-dialysis and dialysis recipes?
                  ~ddarling~

Comment

The book is primarily a dialysis cookbook. If you go to Amazon...you can search inside the book & check out the various sections..
                    Funny. we have all sorts of book stores in our area but could not find it anywere cept for on Amazon...well worth the money, plus its spiralbound & I really appreciate that feature in a cookbook.
                    Originally posted by ddarling View Post
                    What kind of recipes does the book have, does it have pre-dialysis and dialysis recipes?

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

I noticed a lot of stuff that I would consider a pre-dialysis meal. I am currently allowed 50 grams of meat protein. I try and keep it a little lower. Many of the meals had 25 grams protein per servings. Would that not be a good pre-dialysis meal? I am not on dialysis and trying to stay that way. Could this book not be the best for me? I liked the veggie section the most. I do have bubbles and trying to reduce that if I can.

Comment

I noticed a lot of stuff that I would consider a pre-dialysis meal. I am currently allowed 50 grams of meat protein. I try and keep it a little lower. Many of the meals had 25 grams protein per servings. Would that not be a good pre-dialysis meal? I am not on dialysis and trying to stay that way. Could this book not be the best for me? I liked the veggie section the most. I do have bubbles and trying to reduce that if I can.
                        Bubbles? Don't tell me that is the same thing as it is for a little boy I know who has a funny name for gas.

As for if the diets would work for pre-dialysis .. I was told that the diet for pre-dialysis is not much different than a normal healthy diet - except with not excess protein and watching to not add added salt on anything and if your blood pressure is up or you tend to retain water, to look for things with less salt or low salt items and stay away from canned things as they are known to have a higher salt content no matter what.

Other than that .. I can't think of anything else. I would just go by that and talk to the dietitian on any more recommendations regarding the book. I am sure the dietitian probably heard of the book and might want to take a look.
                        Angie

Comment

Bubbles: I have a nice foam in the toilet after I relieve myself.

Comment

Bubbles: I have a nice foam in the toilet after I relieve myself.
                            Ah yes that is common in pre-dialysis. I forget what causes the foaminess though.
                            Angie

Comment

Ah yes that is common in pre-dialysis. I forget what causes the foaminess though.
                              Protein in the urine is what causes it from the information I have. While all my other numbers are good. I have an elevated protein/urine level.

Comment

Working...
                              X