My Renal Life (i know it, i live it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Renal Life (i know it, i live it)

A book to share, from an actual veteran dialysis patients, with many years of dialysis history, 20 years of sharing, check out my book online at www.xlibris.com, just click on the bookstore of this site and search midway right side bar- my title - My Renal Life - by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore, you can read a brief description, along with an excerpt and my author bio at your leisure.

Here is the reason why I decided to publish this book:

A brief summary:

Living with dialysis treatments proved to be a serious challenge for me. Almost two decades ago, I developed the end stage renal disease, which left me no choice but to accept dialysis as a part of my life. Despite the hassles, I managed to adjust and keep living with a sense of hope. In my pursuit to share with readers and renal patients my story, I self-published through Xlibris Publishing the book My Renal Life (i know it, i live it). In the pages of my book, the text focuses on three important views - my copings with the inherited polycystic kidney disease and dialysis, the renal diet, and ways to prepare renal friendly meals. The education section of this book will help the readers grasp an understanding of what foods can benefit or be harmful to the renal diet, which itself can be quite a complex diet to follow. As a bonus, I share an array of renal friendly recipes that I have been collecting through the years. I have polycystic kidney disease, and a non-diabetic.

Glo

Re: My Renal Life (i know it, i live it)

Thanks,

I have seen it in the other 3 threads that you "pushed" it as well.
    Please note: Any advice given is given from my own experience and not medical advice.

Comment

THANK GOD, I am not the only one thinking it.
      You seem like a wonderful person but....

Comment

Hi all,

I am a little surprised at the replies to this poster. We have always been told that if a post doesn't impress us that we can simply go on to another. We are all here to help and unfortunately most of us haven't written a book. We do all have our experiences to share and Glo finds that relating excerpts or points made in the book to be helpful. I can remember a few of you, one in particular who didn't begin as an expert and we shared that time with them, never complaining about the w----------. I rely on my advocating experiences and am sure that I bore some. If I have helped one person by boring 10 others it is worth it. You don't have to buy the book and you are in a thread about the book. Ignore the thread if you find education boring. I look forward to seeing how you share your knowledge and will certainly be following your posts!
        "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
        Linda
        Tx: 7/28/2005
        St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

It is not the information. It is how it is presented. This person knows more about CKD then I ever will. I am sure this person is a wonderful human being.

Nevertheless for myself when I write a post I am in desperate need of advice. It feels like this a family and people help the best they can. I have learned more here then in any office.

So when you receive a reply and it says "buy my book" it leaves a taste of insincerity no matter how well meaning.
          If we want to buy a book the web is full of sites. We just want support from others.
          And the religious lecturers....

Comment

Hi,

You're right Glo seems to be a wonderful, concerned friend. And I also admit that this is probably not the place to ask someone to buy a book but that wasn't presented in this post that I could see. I must reread it. To me that is irrelevan t, it's the knowledge gained by the excerpts that are important. I can disregard what I don't care about but evidently others can't. We have someone here who has offered knowledge gained by many years of dealing with kidney disease and the post came off as very "I don't care because you are selling this book"
            and while your info is great I prefer to focus on the fact the book is for sale" The post was put into the book thread, in the proper place. If the fact the book is for sale bothers some why come to this thread? Someone else was complaining about the book yesterday, a person who has only posted 5 times. What can that person know about Glo or any of the rest of us for that matter.

What I am trying to say here is that we can all click the mouse on something we don't like. We have lost other, knowledgeable persons because we complained about them and not in a nice way. We are family here and the fact that the book is for sale is a given. Very few people write books to give away but Glo is giving away knowledge from the book for us to use free of charge. I will reread to see how often sale is mentioned but I must say I have yet to see it.
            "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
            Linda
            Tx: 7/28/2005
            St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Hello. I have to say, when I read these posts I was very shocked to hear how people were talking about this person sharing their book about renal failure (whether they are selling it or not.) I don't think this is about self-promotion...we are all here to share what we know and have experienced and frankly, it bothers me to hear negative things said about another person on the forum. If this were a spammer, yes, perhaps say what you like...but this is not about spam. This is a fellow patient dealing with what we all have to live with. I agree that we should not speak badly about others on the forum. If you have something negative to say, I suggest sending a private message and discussing issues that way, not publicly. I am not at all offended by this person writing about their experience or even reading their book...in fact, I came to this posting to read what this person might have to share.

Comment

Originally posted by adpadp View Post
                It is not the information. It is how it is presented. This person knows more about CKD then I ever will. I am sure this person is a wonderful human being.

Nevertheless for myself when I write a post I am in desperate need of advice. It feels like this a family and people help the best they can. I have learned more here then in any office.

So when you receive a reply and it says "buy my book" it leaves a taste of insincerity no matter how well meaning.
                If we want to buy a book the web is full of sites. We just want support from others.
                And the religious lecturers....
                Hello everyone, like I said I have nothing but compassion and hope for all renal/dialysis pts. from all walks of life. And in the last decade, I have observe more and more older teenagers, and young adults having to undergo some form of dialysis to sustain their lives. This is what truly prompt me to take all that I have endured and experience to share with others who could truly benefit from my experiences. A great deal of them, felt that they could finally accept and embrace this life and not have that feelling like it is the end of the world for them, by hearing about my life on dialysis, and what I have learned from my ordeals to make living with PKD and dialysis with more knowledge for the zest of life. We know dialysis, is a treatment and not a cure, but with knowledge of a veteran dialysis pts. experience, it could help other dialysis pts. get a better understanding of why it is so important to follow a renal diet, and what could potentially happen if it is neglected. And there are other issues where dialysis is concerned, (access issues), that was the beginning of my problems with dialysis, and of course those problems lead to other health issues. If I had the knowledge that I know today, back then, I truly don't think my dialysis life would have been so enduring with trials and tribulations of coping with this life. I probably wouldn't have been on dialysis this long, go figure! Now, like I mentioned in a previous post, I do point out that I am non-diabetic, and I don't say the word BUY, I say if you are interested, I have written a book about my life on dialysis, and then I just tell them where they can go online to read my excerpt and author bio. I haven't even concentrated on making my book aware to talk shows. With a book like this, I truly want my dialysis family to know about it first, because maybe (in my mind), my book could help others who could be coping with the very same issues as I have in the past. I know how I suffered, and really don't want to see anyone have to deal with half of what I've had to endure. But let me say to those individuals on this post, that have a problem with me, I have gotten strong through my endurances, and I am not going to let any negative pts. on this thread intimidate me. I will continue to reach out to dialysis pts. w/concerns about this life that they are faced with. I wish that I could just give a book away to every dialysis pts., it is truly impossible to share my experience by communciating on a forum, a phone, the internet, or even an actual symposium or a planned seminar of such, so the next best thing is to share my experiences in a book. There are so many folks from all walks of life that have written books about their experiences, look at Sarah Palin, people are willing to buy a book that is about her life experiences, and really may or may not be beneficial to them, but yet people like hearing gossip, or some celebrities life. To be honest with you, if I would have located a book just like this, back in 1990, when I was truly hungry for info on a dialysis pts. life experience, I would have gotten that book in a heartbeat, but I have invested in renal/nutrition cookbooks that patients have published through the years. It is not meant to be an informative book, because dr.s and nurses could write that kind of book, this is a book written from my heart and compassion for other dialysis pts.
                I hope and pray that every dialysis pts.could live a long productive life with minimum problems. A lot of what I have written about in my book, took me years to learn. I also say Knowledge is Key.
                Glo

Comment

I have not read this book, but have been to several book stores looking for info on kidney disease. It has amazed me, that there is so little information available. Thanks for letting us know about your book.

Comment

Originally posted by ABBYSMIMI View Post
                    I have not read this book, but have been to several book stores looking for info on kidney disease. It has amazed me, that there is so little information available. Thanks for letting us know about your book.
                    I have noticed the same thing too! This is why I am glad she told us about her book!
                    Angie
                    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by ABBYSMIMI View Post
                      Your welcome, AbbySimimi, You mind me asking, How long have you been on dialysis? and What form of dialysis or you on (Hemo, PD, or Home Hemo). I hope to hear from you real soon. My book is available online at www.xlibris.com,, just click on the bookstore and search midway lower right sidebar my title - My Renal Life - and their you can view a brief description, along with an excerpt, and my author bio. I wish you all the best with your dialysis journey.

Glo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmoore View Post
                        My book is available online at www.xlibris.com,, just click on the bookstore and search midway lower right sidebar my title - My Renal Life - and their you can view a brief description, along with an excerpt, and my author bio. I wish you all the best with your dialysis journey.

Glo
                        I found it here: http://www2.xlibris.com/Bookstore/bo...x?bookid=54684

And was able to read some of it here: http://www2.xlibris.com/book_excerpt.asp?bookid=54684
                        Angie
                        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

I found nothing wrong with Glo trying to offer assistance in any form possible. I do not see it as "pushing" the book nor her asking you to buy it. I agree with several of the other posters and say if you dont like the posting, go on to something else. I may not buy the book, due to low funds, but I will definately read what information I can obtain about it since I am at a complete loss to all the technicality behind my husband being diagnosed with renal failure.
                          ~Angel~

When life knocks you to your knees, your in the perfect position to pray

Comment

I personally was very excited to see the post about the book. Then I forgot which thread it was on. So I was very excited to see another post about it. That is, until I read some discussion on the post.. I realize that my opinion matters very little in the grand scheme of things. However, I feel compelled to share a few points.
                            1) literature on the renal diet is not at all common. Much of what I have is just the same few dry facts over and over.
                            2) The fact that this is patient-produced makes me not only want it for myself. But I am recommending it to many newbies at my clinic. If anything, I think we should be encouraging the sharing of such materials.
                            3) I work in the medical field, when I find someone who needs vision care (esp those who need financial assistance) I give them coupons to my office. I suppose that you would call that "pushing" my office. I like to think that when I give a coupon for free eyeglasses that I am helping them. I am sure that this book was written in that same belief.
                            4) Most of the patients that I speak to are searching for materials on the diet. How to incorporate this into our daily lives. If I were to find out sometime later that this individual had written a book on the topic, but failed to mention it in the posts on the topic..... I believe that I would have been upset. "Why didn't you tell us about it?"
                            5) as mentioned before, if you don't like it, you can ignore her posts.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
                            Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
                            turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Working...
                            X