Sick to stomach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick to stomach

I had to title this "sick to stomach" cause I don't know how to spell Nauseated. I am in 5th Stage Renal Failure, not yet on Dialysis and everyday when I wake up, and for several hours afterward, I am queasy of stomach and am fearful to eat cause it may make a return trip. My question is this: Is this a normal 5th stage failure normal? And what the heck can I do about it. I have bought over the counter anti-nausea liquid but it ALWAYS comes back up. Any suggestions!!!!
    2000 - Doctors said I would be on Dialysis within 5 years
    2011 - Still Pre-Dialysis
    Sept 2011 - GFR: 15 Creatine 3.9
    Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West
    Doing Good may not do any Good but do GOOD anyway

Re: Sick to stomach

I too was sick all the time with stage 5...I am, however, on dialysis. Thank goodness that I live in California and had Medical marijuana. I use to have to eat next to the garbage disposal because I could not even ge to the restroom. It really does make a difference.
    [SIGPIC][

Comment

Thanks for the advice Isamen. I do use Medical Marijuana when I'm not working but I can't drive and be high, I actually have trouble walking and being high. On the weekend I "light up" first thing in the morning and it helps tremendously. Glad to know I'm not the only one to use this very effective "medication".

Comment

I used to get nauseous quite often. Saltine crackers HELPED me tremendously.

My sodium was either normal or a bit lower, so I could afford to eat them.
        But now, if I get nauseous I either eat something sweet or salty and they both help.
        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

giinger biscuits help relieve nausea. You can be prescribes meds by doctor. I don't recommend buying any over the counter meds with renal failure some are not suitable.
          Audrey
          Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
          Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

My brother who has been on dialysis for three years and is in the 5th stage has been nauseated for several months can't keep anything down and has lost a tremendous amout of weight. His nephro and dietican have tried everything. Can you tell me are the kidneys shutting compleltly down. I am so concerned about him

thank you

Comment

PS..just spoke to my brother he is getting his life line checked Monday..there has been some squirting of blood when they pull the needle out (not sure that is what you call it) at the end of his dialysis..also he has threw up some very dark substance that could have been blood. Sorry to be so graphic.

Any thoughts will be appreciated..

Comment

im at stage 3 and though I am not sick to my stomach all the time I have waves of it that last anywhere from a minute to hours. i have to lay down and let it pass. not sure what i can take for it or what else to to do for it.

shannon

Comment

Shysha, you should call your Neph's office and ask about what you can take for an upset stomach that is kidney friendly. At my last appointment with my Neph I took some of my medicines for gas and the like and let my Neph look at what I take and give me his opinion on if they were kidney friendly.
                  sigpic distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Comment

thats a good idea, im making a list of questions and concerns i have when I see him tomorrow.

Comment

Although nausea is fairly common in the later stages of renal disease, you must also rule out infections.

Nausea is a huge red flag that something is "brewing" (as my TX coordinator calls it). Of course if it's not accompanied by fever and/or other symptoms it could just very well be toxins building up.
                      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Only on occasion will nausea come upon me, and when it does it's because I've had something carbonated earlier in the day (after 1 pm or so); a real bloated feeling rather than sick-to-stomach throwuppy feeling. I have learned that taking 1 tablespoon of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar in around 3 ounces of water will help relieve the pressure and nausea within 10 minutes. I believe what happens is that the vinegar alkalizes the overly acidic system. Drinking this concoction down is not a pleasant experience, trust me, so I think twice about having clear soft drink (coke is out, you know) Rinse your mouth good after drinking it down. Stay away from dairy products if you are near end stage.
                        Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
                        *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
                        High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
                        ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Drink eight glass of water daily, especially try to drink more water in morning after wake up. It is best for stomach and water is also best for kidney.
                          supported living community
                          Glenvale Supported Living
                          182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
                          Phone : +61 1300 765 051
                          http://www.glenvalesupportedliving.com.au/
                          Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
                          Last edited by Kalyna48; 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice about the water...

Comment

I am in stage 5 and get sick almost every morning. My Dr. Perscribed Zofran and it really helps. Some Dr's may not want to perscribe anyhthing, so unsalted crackers help a bit too. If you are on dialysis, be sure to ask your Neph. about fluid intake and appropriate amounts (everyone is a little different). I actually cannot keep water down first thing in the morning, but that may just be me.

Comment

Working...
                              X