Nephro Dietary Supplement??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nephro Dietary Supplement??????

I am currently being treated for a non-healing diabetic foot ulcer and must increase my protein intake to encourage healing. I will begin hyperbaric oxygen therapy in 2 weeks & have been given instructions to add "Nephro" dietary supplement to my daily regime for a source of kidney friendly protein. Obviously an excellent choice because I have potassium,& phospherous issues & because of the impaired kidney function I must reduce my protein intake to 1/2 that of the normal daily allowance.So somewhat difficult to reduce & increase at the same time.

My question is this...has anyone had experience with Nephro & if so, any chance your insurance may have helped cover the cost? Been innundated with medical bills & need any advice or help I can get. Thanks!

Pre Dialysis/stage 4
    dx 07/09
    20 year veteran diabetic
    "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
    Type 2 Diabetic
    Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
    feeling stronger every day! :-)

Re: Nephro Dietary Supplement??????

Originally posted by Feelinlost View Post
    I am currently being treated for a non-healing diabetic foot ulcer and must increase my protein intake to encourage healing. I will begin hyperbaric oxygen therapy in 2 weeks & have been given instructions to add "Nephro" dietary supplement to my daily regime for a source of kidney friendly protein. Obviously an excellent choice because I have potassium,& phospherous issues & because of the impaired kidney function I must reduce my protein intake to 1/2 that of the normal daily allowance.So somewhat difficult to reduce & increase at the same time.

My question is this...has anyone had experience with Nephro & if so, any chance your insurance may have helped cover the cost? Been innundated with medical bills & need any advice or help I can get. Thanks!

Pre Dialysis/stage 4
    dx 07/09
    20 year veteran diabetic
    As far as I know NEPHRO is an OTC supplement. Most insurances will NOT cover any OTC products. Check with yours, though, you might luck out!!!

ask your Dr if there's an RX supplement you can take.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

My husband takes a nephro-vite tablet dailey. It is a combination of B vitamins. The same given for prenatal care. His insurance will not pay for it, although prescribed by his doctor, because there are OTC brands available. The cost for a thirty day supply is ten dollars.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. Since the "drink" version is so costly, I will check with Wound Care & my neph to see if the tablet would work just as well, that certainly is less costly...Thanks again.
        "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

MaSherie-

Hello. I notice you have contributed quite a bit in the past day. Are you a CKD patient? Caregiver?

We would like to get to know you.

Also, I notice that some of your posts have what looks like a spam signature link. If you are a real person and want to contribute to this forum, please remove that link asap.
          Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
          PD March 2009-present
          On Transplant List
          Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

Just wanted to let you all know..I have found a very reasonable source for Nepro (which I was mis-spelling btw)....foundd it by the case, Mixed Berry for $50.00 on ebay. One large chain wanted 3 x's that amount & the Rite Aid I was previously purchasing it from at a substantially higher cost than $50..is no longer carrying it in their inventory.Just an FYI!

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

Can you tell more about it? Is it like a meal-replacement drink? I've been drinking Ensure to maintain weight, but I'm not confident that it is okay for CKD people.
              Diagnosed FSGS 1998
              Related Transplant 2004
              Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

well what i CAN tell you is that it's been added to my diet because even tho my protein levels are extremely low, I have to increase my intake of kidney friendly protein during the healing process to enhance the effectiveness of the hyperbarics. I am also potassium & phospherous restricted...thus my neph & my wound care team have added the Nepro. Today after my visit, my dosage has been increased to 2-8oz.daily. I am also diabetic & the Nepro is made by the Glucerna people...it also does NOT adversely effect my glucose levels. I highly reccomend Very Berry

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

Feelinlost, Gotta tell you, I love the quotation on your last reply. Beautiful!

Toni
                  May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                  Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I second the motion! what a great quote !
                    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
                    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
                    kidney function improved after 2 years
                    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
                    diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

This quote is one of my favorites. It's been a difficult 3 years and I've found that "true" friends are truly gifts from above. Wish I could take credit for the quote but it is from William Arthur Ward,author of "Fountains of Faith". Take Care.

Type 2 Diabetic

Comment

Hi. Actually, depending on what insurance you have, it can be covered. If you have Medicare/Medicaid (sorry, can't remember which one actually covers it, as I have both), you can have Nepro covered. You will need a prescription from your doctor first. There is a place in New York (Queens) that supplies Nepro and sends it via UPS. You can even set it up whereby you receive it automatically on a monthly basis. There is sometimes a co-payment of $1 per CASE of Nepro (24 cans.)

I just did a search and remembered the name. It's called "World's Fair Pharmacy" and it is based in Flushing, Queens (NY.) Tel: 718-358-1300

I never had to pay the co-pay and received a full case of Nepro 5 times (i.e. 5 months/5 refills.) I stopped ordering it only because I didn't think I needed it anymore. It really helped me at the beginning of being on dialysis as I didn't have much appetite and I am vegetarian, too. I liked the Vanilla flavor in particular...there are several choices.

I hope this helps you and you are able to order it at no cost to you. ALSO, if you have a renal dietician you are working with, ask them for COUPONS that discount Nepro, quite dramatically....that is, if you cannot get it on prescription. (Rite Aid carries it and the coupons are very handy....some cans even have the very coupon attached, as well.)

Best of luck!

Comment

I just sent this reply to another post but it might be helpful here too:
                          ---------------------
                          New to this forum and new to dialysis!

I met with my dietitian today. My first months labs were quite good except for protein at 3.7. Since I am a vegetarian, she suggested a few supplements to increase protein. I eat protein at every meal but it will be tough to get enough I guess. I have not tried any of these yet but here are the names in case they can help others with their protein intake:

NOVASOURCE RENAL By Nestle Nutrition. nestlenutrition.com/us. This is a liquid supplement (475 calorie, 17.4 g protein per 8 oz, this does contain corn syrup...) They also have Beneprotein (Whey & Soy powder formula 7 g protein per 1 1/2 tablespoons - this is a powder that can be put on food or in drinks. Lastly, NECTAR from Syntrax, www.syntrax.com. (Whey protein isolate, Strawberry Kiwi & other flavors, 12 g protein per 0.5 oz. This is a powder formula also.

Again, I have not tried these yet, just passing along the info.
                          Michelle
                          FSGS diagnosis in childhood
                          PD since June 2010
                          Transplant 1/19/2011

Comment

Just wonderin if someone who is healthy takes the nepro (renal) liquid nutrition that is ment for diabetics will it harm the kidneys and posibley damage the kidneys>? Just wondering

kamran

Comment

Originally posted by KAMRAN View Post
                              Just wonderin if someone who is healthy takes the nepro (renal) liquid nutrition that is ment for diabetics will it harm the kidneys and posibley damage the kidneys>? Just wondering

kamran
                              This product is a high protein, sugar free, and low water and content. Unless you have weak kidneys it shouldn't be a problem, however, talk to your dr to make sure it's okay for you to drink.
                              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Working...
                              X