Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am scared is it very hard to learn home dialysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am scared is it very hard to learn home dialysis?

I am going in Tuesday to have the connections put in for home dialysis.I am just wondering how hard it is to use the equipment and if there is any advice to make it easier?

Re: I am scared is it very hard to learn home dialysis?

Originally posted by catsinthemoonlight View Post
    I am going in Tuesday to have the connections put in for home dialysis.I am just wondering how hard it is to use the equipment and if there is any advice to make it easier?
    What type of home dialysis? I assume Hemodialysis. Is it NxStage? I never got to do it at home so I had to do it in center 3 times a week but I do know of an excellent NxStage site called http://www.nxstageusers.com/forum/
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hemodialysis (HD) is a life-preserving treatment for hundreds of thousands of Americans with kidney failure. But the standard schedule of in-center HD three times a week is, at best, inconvenient, and at worst, hard on the heart.
      yoga exercises | yoga poses

Comment

Hi, Cats--
        I don't know if you're talking about hemo or PD, but when the nephrologist suggested PD to my husband, I asked him if it was hard to learn. He said that he had patients with the "IQs of a rock" that were doing it, so I felt better about having to be too smart. haha
        Seriously, it just takes repetition of doing the same thing over and over in order to get it down in your memory, and the most important thing is to keep things clean. Our PD nurse was so nice, and she gave us tons of literature on how to do everything, and along with the on-call number, we know that if we ever have a question, someone is a phone call away.
        I'm sure you will do fine.
        Caregiver (CG) to diabetic husband with cirrhosis and ESRD, on PD with cycler since October 2010.
        Update: Hubby received liver/kidney transplant in June 2011! We are blessed.

Comment

Hi Cats,
          I am assuming you will be doing PD at home. First you will learn how to do it manually and then you will learn how to use the machine during the night. I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 years. If you follow what you are taught It really isn't that bad. I am still working full time, I have been on vacation trips camping and traveled by myself. It just takes planning so you remember everything you need. Most people would not know I was on dialysis unless I tell them. Your nurses will not release you until they are very comfortable you know how everything works. You will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gram View Post
            Hi Cats,
            I am assuming you will be doing PD at home. First you will learn how to do it manually and then you will learn how to use the machine during the night. I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 years. If you follow what you are taught It really isn't that bad. I am still working full time, I have been on vacation trips camping and traveled by myself. It just takes planning so you remember everything you need. Most people would not know I was on dialysis unless I tell them. Your nurses will not release you until they are very comfortable you know how everything works. You will be fine.
            Is this by chance an old post, that maybe a great deal of new members are answering by chance? And if anyone write a post, and say home dialysis, please, remember, to add what type of home dialysis it is, whether it be home hemo or peritoneal dialysis, these are both home dialysis treatments.

Glo

Comment

Hi, I have been doing home dialysis now for 11years and would recommend it to all. After you have been trained you will feel comfortable about doing your own needles,which is the biggest mental hurdle for most people. You can choose your own hours and rearrange your schedule to suit your social life. You can do longer hours should you so wish and basically you feel like you are controlling your situation rather than letting it control you. Going into hospital every other day can be quite depressing but been in your home environment gives you a much happier attitude to it all. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me or go to my blog " home dialysis - don't be scared". Good luck!

Comment

Hi all,

I've been doing home dialysis (haemo) for 6 months. It took me 3-4 months at the hospital to learn the ropes. It was a bit like sitting for an exam, you need to be fairly committed to understanding the process and how the machine works, but certainly it's not insummountable if you are keen.

The self needling was a little challenging at first. But I found that it hurts less if you needle yourself, rather than let the nurse do it for you (I'm serious!). Now that I needle myself, I'd never let a nurse do it unless I had to.

Being at home on dialysis is better in terms of work/life balance, I can go on when I want. I also want to note that I couldn't do home dialysis without the support of my partner, it's definitely a team effort as he helps me go on and come off the machine, and keeps an eye on me during the sessions - e.g. sometimes he has had to administer the 'emergency procedure' when my blood pressure drops (ps. he also wanted me to mention 'what about the food and water I bring you during the session, getting you cups of tea etc..!).

Good luck :-)

Comment

Working...
                X