March - Nat'l Kidney Month - Let us spread the awareness to CKD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March - Nat'l Kidney Month - Let us spread the awareness to CKD

Hi all, This is National Kidney Month, and the perfect time to bring continued awareness to Chronic Kidney Disease. Chronic Kidney Disease is very seriously on the rise, all over the world, and the the awareness truly needs to grow, urging people to go get tested for possible early stages of CKD, can potentially be beneficial, because preventive measures can be taken to help in prolonging or even in some cases, reverse the progression of CKD, especially those with a history or family history of diabetes and/or high blood pressure, (two of the main causes of CKD), truly need to seriously consider being tested. Spread the awareness to as many people out there that you can.

Re: March - Nat'l Kidney Month - Let us spread the awareness to CKD

I already put up a bulletin board at work and brought in literature for our patients. Will be taking some to church and my clinic as well. Sending information to my PCP as well.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

I agree there needs to be more awareness! In my area it seems the focus is more on April being Organ Donation Month rather than March even though when I was growing up there used to be more done for March which is Kidney Health Month!

What has everyone been doing this month?
      Angie
      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Any time is time for kidney awareness. It does not fit the charity organizations timetable and if possible you should fit with them. But doing off schedule is better than not doing!

What to do?

1. Get a slew of material and make an outline and schedule a visit with the local newspaper and get them interested in a personal interest item for the paper. March or April would be a wonderful time for that. They have been very responsive for us here the last five years.
        2. Become a local driver for the regional marches held in various months of the year, See http://donate.kidney.org/site/PageSe...me=WALK_signup and find a schedule for your state. Make an event of it and collect money, but most of all have fun with people who ordinarily don't have a whole lot in their life.
        3. Contact DPC and see what you can do for them to help them achieve their goals in kidney awareness.
        4 Contact your Congressman or Senator, whatever the sex, and meet with their staff and see what they think the problems are and what some of the solutions are and make your plans for things that have fallen thru the crack.
        5. Get your local health organizations to sign up for local kidney evaluations. There is a tremendous advantage for keeping a set of kidneys from dying. Dollars and comfort and just plain good business.
        6. Find a job that needs doing or a person who needs some help at the local dialysis center and help him or her. If you are a dialysis patient, your dialysis just lowered in significance. If you are not then several stars appeared in your crown and you'll sleep better and walk with a new spring in your step. Will clear away the frown from your face and may get you elected woman or man of the year. May cause the most noticeable twinkle in your eye.
        7,8, 9 etc, use your imagination.
        Not everyone who has dialysis needs help, but more than you know do. This help may just be a cuppa coffee on the first Monday of the month The same with those who are fighting to keep from losing theirs.
        So get busy and be a champion of the people, You can't ever tell when you'll need one yourself.
        Cicero
        May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
        Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
        Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
        Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
        Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

thankyou very much Cicero for the really good info and uplifting too!!!
          ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

I am walking here in CT on June 12th for the National Kidney Foundation. This is the first time that I am doing this and I am happy to say that I have already raise $1200.00. It is a shame that we do not hear more about the types of events on the television or even the radio. It would help our cause so much more.
            Darlene
            Pre-dialysis, polycistic kidneys, stage 3

Comment

Congratulations on your fundraising and I hope you have a wonderful time walking this year.

I am hoping to do my walk here in So Cal in September.
              Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
              Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

Working...
              X