Unconditional Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unconditional Love

Bailey, Jax, Samson and Millie are my four cats, always there, and always make me feel better when I'm not well. There is a special reason for this post today because Samson, age 15 is being treated for poisoning due to eating a lilly leaf. This causes kidney failure. As of last night his labs were pretty good (marginal the doc says). Have to wait and see how he is this morning. If you are an animal lover, you know what I'm going through. And I ask for your positive vibes and prayers. If you are not, please don't be offended by me posting on our forum for my pet. I looked at the pet forums and none appealed to me. Besides I feel close to the people here. I tried to transfer a pic. of Samson, but do not know how.

All varieties of lillies and all parts of the plant are poisonous to cats. It only takes ingesting a very sm. amount. If not treated within 18 hrs. chances of survival are poor.

Thank you, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Re: Unconditional Love

Awww Tonia, I really hope Samson is OK and starts to feel better soon. I totally understand how you feel and am glad you posted your message. Pets are a very important part of our lives and your four cats are obviously very important to you. I will keep Samson in my thoughts and prayers Please message me if you feel like talking more.

Stay strong!
    Gina
    sigpic

*Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 1995
    *CKD Stage 2 - Lupus Nephritis 2003
    *Peritoneal dialysis April 2010
    *Transplant December 15, 2010 (sister was my donor!)

Comment

I hope this finds Sampson on the road to recovery. Pets don't ask why or how, they just love us. Our Shorkie has been my husband's moral support for the last year while I was at work. I'm not sure what he would have done without her. When he feels bad she comes and lays beside him and when he has good days she knocks herself out entertaining him with her antics. My thoughts are with you and Sampson, please let us know what happens.

Deborah

Comment

Good news! After 24 hrs. of aggressive treatment, Samson came home. Todays blood work showed his kidney function is good. His liver function was mildly affected. He's taking antibiotics and meds. to absorb any toxins left in his system. He will be retested in a week and hopefully there will be no decline in kidney function.

Gina and Deborah, Thank you both for the kind words and concern. We do love our cats very much.

Please look up the long list of toxic plants, foods and substances that can be dangerous or fatal to pets. Learning the way I did is heartbreaking.

Again, I appreciate your prayers. Toni

Comment

I am so pleased to hear the news about your dear companion. I have 3 cats and they really helped pull me through when I ended up on dialysis...I tend not to have plants around my home because so many are poisonous to cats and I just don't know enough about the ones that aren't...thanks for keeping us updated on your good news.

Comment

Toni-
            I'm so glad Sampson is well. We can all relate to kidney trouble whether we have critters or not.

Also, Dora and Joe Meower (my friends in fur pants) thank you for your posting I was going to bring in some blooms from my gorgeous asiatic lilies, but your posting changed my mind.
            Diagnosed FSGS 1998
            Related Transplant 2004
            Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

FMBK, Thanks for your reply. I laughed when reading you have 3 cats. When you love cats, it's hard to have just one. The list of toxic plants is a long one. Your better off looking up "safe" plants for animals. We were pretty shocked to see Samson get into the lilly as we have never even seen him eat grass.

Missy, So glad you didn't bring in the lillies. it was the asiatic lilly that he munched on. Even the pollen is poisonous. In fact liilies are rated up there with car coolant which is deadly. I always had mine in a lg. pot outside our fenced backyard and recently put them in the ground in the backyard. They are so beautiful but I won't be growing lillies anymore. After leaving Samson at the vet, I came home crying, grabbed a shovel and threw them out. I feel very guilty not knowing.
              Most people know about chocolate being poisonous. I learned onions and garlic (raw) are on that list too. There are animal that will eat just about anything. 1/2 of a tylenol can kill a cat. The list goes on and on. I am extremely thankful Samson is doing okay now. If he doesn't take a turn in the next week, we'll know he's gotten through this.

Comment

Toni,

So happy to hear Samson is on the road to recovery!

Deborah

Comment

Well I am a Dog Lover... But Samson is no different even if he is a cat. I hope he will be Okay...

Originally posted by Tonia View Post
                  Bailey, Jax, Samson and Millie are my four cats, always there, and always make me feel better when I'm not well. There is a special reason for this post today because Samson, age 15 is being treated for poisoning due to eating a lilly leaf. This causes kidney failure. As of last night his labs were pretty good (marginal the doc says). Have to wait and see how he is this morning. If you are an animal lover, you know what I'm going through. And I ask for your positive vibes and prayers. If you are not, please don't be offended by me posting on our forum for my pet. I looked at the pet forums and none appealed to me. Besides I feel close to the people here. I tried to transfer a pic. of Samson, but do not know how.

All varieties of lillies and all parts of the plant are poisonous to cats. It only takes ingesting a very sm. amount. If not treated within 18 hrs. chances of survival are poor.

Thank you, Toni

Corporate Finance Advisor
                  My Name is Latrell Boongon....

Comment

......so glad to hear your sweet friend is on the way to recovery. I have 3 dogs...my Wesite Nyssa,who has been with me since she was 6 weeks old & is now going on 16, a rescue miniature poodle...Sheba who is 11 years old & Tipper another rescue miniature Italian Greyhound approx. 8 years old....I call them my "pack" and believe it or not, they are quite the support system! & yes, such unconditional love.!!!
                    "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
                    Type 2 Diabetic
                    Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
                    feeling stronger every day! :-)

Comment

]I really appreciate everyones replies and thoughts about my kitty. I got a chuckle from Lboongon "...even if he is a cat". I love dogs too. Can anyone simplify the process in loading a pic. on here? I'm trying to transfer a picture of Samson from Picasa.

Tues. he will be checked out again at the vets. He started to act more like his silly self yesterday, so thats a good sign. He's a pretty goofy big boy at 20 lbs. Would love to share a picture if I can.

Warm Wishes, Toni

Comment

Working...
                      X