Aranesp injections - yuck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aranesp injections - yuck!

I do weekly Aranesp injections and I have a really hard time. I've been doing it now for several months but I still can't get used to it! It takes me sooooo long to do the initial poke. It doesn't hurt but psychologically I get so worked up and it takes me sometimes literally an hour to get it over with

I just did one and it took me 40 minutes. Once it's in I'm fine - it's the initial jab that freaks me out! Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to make this easier? On the plus side, I know I could NEVER be a junkie
    sigpic

*Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 1995
    *CKD Stage 2 - Lupus Nephritis 2003
    *Peritoneal dialysis April 2010
    *Transplant December 15, 2010 (sister was my donor!)

Re: Aranesp injections - yuck!

I hate those Aranesp pens !!!! I also had a hard time with them (I felt they hurt a lot and they gave me a headache), so I asked to be switched to EPO or Procrit. I now inject myself once a week using a needle like the ones diabetics use (very small) and it doesn't hurt at all and is over in about 2 minutes. Ask if you can switch. It is easy to learn how to inject yourself with a syringe - and it doesn't take so long.

Let me know how you make out.

Comment

Thanks jmaryz! I may look into those other ones you suggest. I've heard my doctor mention them before. Not sure if I know what the Aranesp pen is? The thing I use is a prefilled syringe. The needle is fairly small (1 inch) but my problem is definitely in my head - I get really nervous before the poke! I take deep breaths and I count to 3 but I keep stalling and stalling and next thing I know so much time has gone by

I don't have a problem when I go to get bloodwork done so it's not needles per say. I guess it's the self injection that throws me off. I tried to get my husband to poke me but he refuses! He says the idea of sticking ME with a needle makes him want to pass out. He doesn't want to "hurt" me. I explained it doesn't hurt and that I just need someone else to jab me but he gets all squimish about it We're both wimps....
      sigpic

Comment

You are NOT a wimp ! The Arenesp pen I spoke of is the pre-filled syringe. I do think it is a lot harder to use than if you fill and inject yourself. Where do you do the injection ? I always do it in my belly (plenty of fat so it hurts less, lol )
        As far as the psychological block, keep telling yourself that the injection will make you feel stronger and give you more energy and try not to attempt it when you are feeling anxious.

Hang in there, you can do it..

Comment

I also use Arenesp and inject into my belly fat

For some reason it does not freak me out...I get a lot of bloodwork done and some of those people are rough! When I first started taking Arenesp I was admioingted into the cancer section of the hospital and they would inject me in like 2 minutes and I would leave...the price was UNBELIEVABLE and I knew I would not be able to afford it even w/my health care insurance.

Now..I get 6 injections for about $70 or so..and they always highlight how much money I have saved (over $3,000).......so just try to think of that...you are saving lots of money by doing it yourself. The medicine itself does sting a little but it does give me more energy!!

Good luck!!

Rose

Comment

I give myself Procrit and my husband doesn't even want to be in the room! He was my donor, but can't look at the little needle. I use ReliOn swabs with benzocaine. It doesn't really hurt, but these numb the site so you don't really feel it. I like it better.

Try rewarding yourself a treat after the shot! It works with kids...

Thanks for the reminder, I need a shot today
            Diagnosed FSGS 1998
            Related Transplant 2004
            Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

Hahaha! Thanks guys for the encouragment

I think we all use our belly fat (cushiest area!)

I like the idea of a treat afterwards, thx Misela! That could be the answer
              sigpic

Comment

I tried in my belly once, like the picture in the Procrit information shows. I don't know what I hit, but it hurt like $^##@&! I use the top of my thighs. That's where my cushion is at. Maybe I'll try the belly again.
                I heard you need to rotate injection sites. Does anyone know more about that?
                Missie
                Diagnosed FSGS 1998
                Related Transplant 2004
                Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

Originally posted by gavignoni
                  I do weekly Aranesp injections and I have a really hard time. I've been doing it now for several months but I still can't get used to it! It takes me sooooo long to do the initial poke. It doesn't hurt but psychologically I get so worked up and it takes me sometimes literally an hour to get it over with

I just did one and it took me 40 minutes. Once it's in I'm fine - it's the initial jab that freaks me out! Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to make this easier? On the plus side, I know I could NEVER be a junkie
                  I know what you mean. It took me just as long. It isn't the needle itself but the fear.

I was so proud when I finally was able to do it on my own. I even made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kiXb1_Yqo

I like Aranesp because it is longer acting myself.
                  Angie
                  Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                  I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                  • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                  • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                  • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Last night it took me exactly 12 minutes to do the injection!!!!!!! I was so proud of myself. That was a fraction of what it usually takes me and my husband was so suprised when I returned to bed in that time I had a new book that I was anxious to start reading so that was my "treat" LOL! Yay, now I know I CAN DO THIS like a normal person
                    sigpic

Comment

Good for you !!!!!

I KNEW you could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by gavignoni View Post
                        Last night it took me exactly 12 minutes to do the injection!!!!!!! I was so proud of myself. That was a fraction of what it usually takes me and my husband was so suprised when I returned to bed in that time I had a new book that I was anxious to start reading so that was my "treat" LOL! Yay, now I know I CAN DO THIS like a normal person
                        You SHOULD be proud! That is excellent! Eventually you will be able to do it in less and less time. It just takes building up that confidence and baby steps! That is how I started! And even still, 5 years later, sometimes I lose my nerve again, but distraction or music helps me to sooth my nerves while I concentrate.
                        Angie
                        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Working...
                        X