DPC Patient Ambassador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPC Patient Ambassador

A couple of people have approached me today at dialysis. They read the letter I sent to President Obama, and asked me if I would like to be a patient ambassador for Dialysis Patient Citizens. I told them I really didn't know too much, I am just learning myself. They feel I would be a huge help with other new patients there. I have an application to fill out and was wondering if I could get some feedback on this. I think this will make for a good opportunity to put the word out about CKD and EDRD.
    Suzy

http://esrdandme.blogspot.com

Re: DPC Patient Ambassador

Originally posted by suzypar2002 View Post
    A couple of people have approached me today at dialysis. They read the letter I sent to President Obama, and asked me if I would like to be a patient ambassador for Dialysis Patient Citizens. I told them I really didn't know too much, I am just learning myself. They feel I would be a huge help with other new patients there. I have an application to fill out and was wondering if I could get some feedback on this. I think this will make for a good opportunity to put the word out about CKD and EDRD.
    I think it is a great thing to join if you do. Here is more information on it:

http://www.dialysispatients.org/membership

But I know how you feel, joining something under the assumption that more might be expected of you than you can provide. I am feeling like that currently since my local kidney foundation recruited me as a promoter for my local kidney walk that, even though the walk isn't til Sept, meetings started in Jan.

If you do join, remember not to feel overwhelmed as I am sure they realize that you are not born knowing how to do all that people who have been part of DPC for years. (I have to take my own advice but it is hard lol)
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by suzypar2002 View Post
      I just saw this post. Here's more info:

Dialysis Patients and Family Members: Join DPC Today!
      http://www.dialysispatients.org/membership
      (click on link to download an application)

What can DPC do for you?
      DPC brings you together with those who share your concerns regarding dialysis care and quality of life for dialysis patients. So many times we feel alone and unable to make a difference. By joining a united dialysis community, your voice becomes more powerful.

Some of the benefits you'll receive as a member:

» Quarterly newsletters and conference calls to keep you updated on issues affecting dialysis patients
      » Website with updates and articles about topics that concern your health and lifestyle
      » A Voice in deciding which issues are most important, and our position on those issues
      » The opportunity to educate the public about dialysis patients' needs
      » The ability to have a direct impact in making life better for all dialysis patients
      » The chance to interact with thousands of others who share similar experiences, need and concerns

How much are dues?
      There is no charge to become a member.

Not eligible to be a member of DPC, but still want to help improve quality of life for kidney patients? Become a Friend of DPC!

As a friend of DPC you will:

» Receive our regular e-newsletter and action alerts » Keep up to date on the activities within the kidney care community » Show your support for DPC and kidney patients.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I was asked the same thing two weeks ago at my center. I was told that I will be in charge of handing out materials and maybe going to a few meetings. Truth is, I love to talk and I love to make people feel comfortable and I love cooking and sharing. I believe that this will give me a chance to put all those loves to use in the clinic.
        Prior to being asked, I made a point to make friends with the other patients. Especially those newer to dialysis than myself. I went to visit them in the hospital and funeral home. I spent many hours in the hospital with one young lady, enlisted friends to visit her when I was at work, prayed and read the Bible with her, and sadly had to attend her funeral. I intend to continue to be "there" for other patients.
        I am conducting fund-raisers for the Kidney Trust, I will be walking again in the KAT walk, I will be helping my fellow patients by pointing them to the proper DaVita employee, or by researching materials, and finding resources that will improve knowledge and care in our center.
        I will do my best to ensure that any potential problems are directed to the person who can resolve any issues. I do not know everything, but, I will do anything that is asked of me. I will continue to look for ways to improve the great service here.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
        Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
        turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

I must commend you, You are truly a blessing for your unit. Keep up the good work, You sound a lot like me, I too, have visit patients who were confined to a nursing home, and help with concerns during their stay there, because I did notice that one of the patients that I was visiting there, was being ignored by the nursing staff, because she was itching excessively, and I inquired as to what they were doing to relieve her itching issues, so I suggested that they give her something like benadryl or aratax, to help in relieving this itching, and I also gave the nurse some literature to help them understand the importance of keeping the high phosphorus foods limited or even omitted out her diet. I truly felt for these two patients, that I became fond of, when they were being dialyzed at the unit. So, you go girl! You are a blessing to others.

God is Love, Love is God
          Glo

Comment

Working...
          X