uncertain !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uncertain !

Hello, I recently was told I'm in Stage 3.. I need to lose weight.. Need to get blood pressure under control...and deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis on a daily basis.(now without Remicade or methotraxate). Predisone was increased to 10mg a day to help with everything.. I'm truly overloaded right now..:. Im uncertain as to which direction to start ! Ive been reading labels, cleaning out cabinets, ref, freezer out of things not to eat.. not really for sure what all is allowed. Ive been reading a lot of post today and Im sorry ,but it was some comfort to see Im not the only one. Im glad I found this website and hope anyone/everyone will send any and all helpful information my way.. Thanks

Re: uncertain !

Hi,
    I'm at stage 5, didn't find out till Sept 2008 when my GFR was at 20, now it's about 10, going down to 9. I'm overweight too. I think it is partly due to the loss of energy. I wear out so quickly now. I try to push myself, because you can't just sit around and rest, as much as you'd like to. Maybe you can walk, or swim. I've actually lost a few pounds lately, even though my kidneys are getting larger due to polycystic kidney disease. My appetite is lost quickly, I feel full easily because of my enlarged kidneys, and some food just doesn't appeal any more.

I am a great reader of labels, my husband used to wonder why it took me so long to grocery shop, but now he understands, I've got to be careful in planning meals. Fortunately I like to cook so I've been making my meals more from scratch than ever before.

Keep some applesauce on hand, the kind without any additives, just apples and water. When all else fails I can always get applesauce down. The nausea can get pretty tiresome, but for me, it seems to come on the worst when I'm hungry, odd huh? It's hard to eat when your nauseous but for me, it seems to help, rather than waiting, hoping the nausea goes away.

I was very overwhelmed too when I found out. All I can say is don't give up hope, take charge of your disease, do what your doctor tells you and try to remain cheerful. I'm finding that as tough as this is, my friends and family have been such good emotional support and I treasure them more than ever.

Did your doctor say if your kidneys will ultimately fail? We are fortunate that we live in a time of such medical advances, like dialysis and transplant. I myself will be getting a transplant in a little over 4 weeks from now. My husband is my donor. I am counting down the days and am full of hope for a brighter future.

It is comforting to be able to ask questions and commiserate with others going through the same thing. I didn't come across this site until I got over the worst of my fears, and now I can encourage others to hang in there.

Take care of yourself,
    Raziah (Lori)

Comment

Thanks so much Raziah ! applesauce is a great ideal... I have to go on a trip next week, My nephew is graduating from Marine bootcamp.. Im stressing already trying to plan meals etc,.we will be on the road 3 days... I have been going to water aerobics and enjoy it. I had to stop for a while but Im getting ready to start it again. I hope you a speedy recover after your transplant. God Bless you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by tncasper
        Hello, I recently was told I'm in Stage 3.. I need to lose weight.. Need to get blood pressure under control...and deal with Rheumatoid Arthritis on a daily basis.(now without Remicade or methotraxate). Predisone was increased to 10mg a day to help with everything.. I'm truly overloaded right now..:. Im uncertain as to which direction to start ! Ive been reading labels, cleaning out cabinets, ref, freezer out of things not to eat.. not really for sure what all is allowed. Ive been reading a lot of post today and Im sorry ,but it was some comfort to see Im not the only one. Im glad I found this website and hope anyone/everyone will send any and all helpful information my way.. Thanks
        Welcome to Da Vita......you will find a group of loving, very helpful people on this site. I was diagnosed Stage 3 CKD in April and not given much information....so I was really upset. I found this site and started reading. Finally I got up the nerve to ask for help and that's exactly what I got plus lots of understanding and love. It has made the single biggest change in my attitude. I found out that at stage 3 we have a chance to slow the progression and perhaps avoid dialysis entirely. I watch what I eat.....not as strictly as some have to do on this site.....eat less protein (I'm on 6 oz. a day right now) exercise, drink lots of water and take care of myself. So the first thing you need to do is educate yourself. Go to kidneyschool.com and go through the modules at your own speed....moving from one through to the end. After that, you will be more knowledgable and better able to ask questions of your doctor. Look in the Da Vita site for diet and read what is recommended and not. Finally get a copy of the book nearly everyone recommended to me: "Coping with Kidney Disease" by Mackenzie Walser,M.D. I found it in paperback on amazon.com and in the local book stores.
        I wish you luck and hope to see you posting often on this site.
        Consider yourself hugged, Simindalin

Comment

Simindalin, Thanks so much for the advise. I will check these sites out. I will look for the book online or at the bookstore. Thanks for your kind words. God Bless and a big hug for you !

Comment

Raziah -- my husband gets nauseated when he is hungry as well. Sometimes apple sauce will help, other times a little cottage cheese. He seems to be eating the Zofran these days. After the AV Graft surgery last Tuesday the nausea is very much worse. His creatinine is 12.

Comment

Working...
            X