X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelinlost
    replied
    Re: Encouragement

Noel..thanks for the info..have a great vacation...relax & enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• 12Bravo
    replied

How did I do it.

Just really changed my diet around. Cut out all the bad stuff. Less protein, not drastic, but I just try not to eat no more than a deck of cards serving with a meal, more veggies, fruits and grains. For breakfast I will usually have some type of "grain" i.e. toast, cereal and most times an apple (apples help to make me feel full). Lunch is when I will usually have some actual animal protein, I try and make it high quality, something that I will have to cook, maybe eggs, or a small piece of chicken, maybe some low sodium roast turkey lunch meat, I try to stay away from beef as much as possible and when I do eat it I will only have a small amount and try and make it high quality, i.e. no burgers. Dinners are usually pasta and or a salads. Every once in a while I will still have pizza and or potato chips, but it is more of a treat and I try not to overindulge. I take my 10 mg of lisinopril for my high blood pressure daily and I monitor it at least once a day. I try and watch the salt for my high blood pressure, I have cut it completely when cooking and don't use it for seasoning. I try and exercise regularly, I usually do stationary bike at home in the mornings. I don't drink dark colas, and only have coffee on the weekends.

I have been pretty lucky, and I hope to get my numbers even lower or to at least keep them stable for a good long while, some people on here have kept pretty well for +20 years.

Don't know what the future will bring, but I am happy for now...today

Best,
    Noel

Leave a comment:

• Feelinlost
    replied

Very discouraged with my latest #'s & I'm really trying hard..now I've also been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I try to stay positive but sometimes so difficult in spite of myself
    I agree any particular hints you could share????

Leave a comment:

• Gary123
    replied

How did you do it, did you change your diet, exercise more, quit eating meat, more water?
    Must feel good.

Leave a comment:

• 12Bravo
    replied

Got my labs back and my numbers are looking pretty good.

Creatinine when all this started 1.6
    Creatinine last time checked 1.06

My current labs 3/05/10

Creatinine 1.03 Range 0.7-1.5
    BUN 11 Range 10-26
    BUN/Ceat Ratio 10.7 Range 8-25.0

sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, phospates, protein are all well within normal range.

There was no protein in urine.

Everything looks good for now. I hope I can keep this under control as long as some of the people here. But for now, I am happy with what I have and will just enjoy.

I'll be going on vacation next week, a little soul therapy

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by 4mymom View Post
    Hi I am brand new to this forum and my mom was diagnosed with stage 5 renal failure in october of 2009. we new it was coming. well something was wrong she let her health and diabeties and high blood pressure go due to my father's death of lung cancer 8 years ago. she is now on dialysis and we just started the process for a kidney transplant. she is scared and myself and my sister are planning to see if we are matches. she doesn't have anyone to truley talk to w/out them getting upset. what can you tell me?

thanks for any and all info from all. god bless

4mymom
    I was going to suggest www.kidneyschool.org but are you asking for information on what to expect with transplant?

Leave a comment:

• patty0805
    replied

Hi TRB, FYI, my GFR went from 13 (dialysis started then) to 26 now :-) so, don't be discouraged with the numbers, they can change. (but not if you're on Hemo) PD gives your kidneys a chance to improve. I was at 4 exchanges a day, now I do only 2. I truly think diet is key. I have become diabetic but keep it under control with just 1 pill a day and diet. another plus, my BP is doing so well, I don't take anything for it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• annie
    replied

Originally posted by 4mymom View Post
    Hi I am brand new to this forum and my mom was diagnosed with stage 5 renal failure in october of 2009. we new it was coming. well something was wrong she let her health and diabeties and high blood pressure go due to my father's death of lung cancer 8 years ago. she is now on dialysis and we just started the process for a kidney transplant. she is scared and myself and my sister are planning to see if we are matches. she doesn't have anyone to truley talk to w/out them getting upset. what can you tell me?

4mymom

Hi there.

Welcome to the forum!

Find a therapist for your mom. Preferably one with experience with chronic health issues. Her nephrologist/dialysis nurse may have some references for you.

If she needs someone to talk to, a counselor/therapist could be a wonderful addition to her health care team.

As far as what to tell you, I am unsure what you would like to know.

If you have specific questions, post them to the boards here and the wonderful community will certainly help you.

Again, welcome.

Leave a comment:

• 4mymom
    replied

4mymom

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by rocrthom View Post
    I first went on dialysis when I was 21. I was on it for 2.5 years.I got a transplant. It lasted almost nine years. I have been back on dialysis now for one month. I am so depressed. I never expected to be doing this again. I was never this down in the dumps the first time I was on dialysis. I tell myself that I'm only 32, I'm not going to let this get me down, but truthfully it's there, lingering. Do you guys think going to counseling would help?
    Sounds like you should give the HopeLine a call. They are toll-free within the USA and are there exactly for such a time as this.

If you would like to learn more they are through the Renal Support Network based in California and their toll-free number is:

HOPEline (800) 579-1970

Here is their site on this so that you can read more about it and decide.

http://www.rsnhope.org/programs/HopeLine.php

I personally know one of the girls who work the HopeLine and finally got to call (my fiance got me MagicJack so now I got an American number finally) and it really was helpful! And you sound in more need of it than I am. I am a transplant recipient and even I felt I needed them.

But I can relate to what you are going through. I was first on dialysis when I was 16 and it lasted 11 years and then at 27 I had to go back on dialysis. It can be a depressing time and one that you can't go through a line. But don't worry there is Hope and you are NOT alone.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmoore
    replied

Originally posted by rocrthom View Post
    I first went on dialysis when I was 21. I was on it for 2.5 years.I got a transplant. It lasted almost nine years. I have been back on dialysis now for one month. I am so depressed. I never expected to be doing this again. I was never this down in the dumps the first time I was on dialysis. I tell myself that I'm only 32, I'm not going to let this get me down, but truthfully it's there, lingering. Do you guys think going to counseling would help?
    Rocrthom,
    Although every one is different as to how they emotionally and mentally deal with dialysis, the hardest task of living on dialysis, is being able to cope with it, and most importantly accept this part of your life. Even though you have been on dialysis before, what exactly is depressing you? You still have to manage your end stage renal disease, with the assistance of medication, treatment and of course that very complex renal diet. Is it the renal diet, that you had to go back to, causing you to become depress, or is it just the dialysis treatment itself. I know with the economy the way it is, that seeing someone professionally would not be economical for most of us, so if nothing else is getting you out of your depression, then maybe you should see someone professionally. Having someone really close and supportive can help to, but as I am aware a lot of the patients may not be fortunate to have someone like that, is that in your case? I hope you can find some peace with this real soon.

Love in God
    Glo

Leave a comment:

• rocrthom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ddarling
    replied

[QUOTE=12Bravo;30368]TRB,

It's kinda like a dark cloud has been cast overhead and no matter how much you try and act normal or forget about it, it is always there....looming.

TRB, you are not hijacking the thread, and Bravo, your above statement pretty much says it all.

I am also 45 yrs. old and feel like I am much too young for this to have happened. I was counting on a long, happy and healthy life. Just knowing you have a life-long illness or disease really seems to do something to you mentally. You tell yourself your going to beat this, you tell yourself you're not going to let it get to you, etc. But if we are all honest, it DOES get to us. It's just like Bravo said...it's always there in your mind...looming! I want it all to go away. I want my old life and my old self back. I do not like this new person I have become because of my CKD and PAD.

I too am trying to control my blood pressure through my meds and consuming less salt. I do sometimes worry about what all the stress from being unemployed (company was sold, lost my job) does to my blood pressure as well as my fears of losing my home, possible dialysis, and sometimes just the 'tears' of all of it.

Just want you guys to know that you are NOT alone in how you are feeling or what you are thinking.

Leave a comment:

• TRB
    replied

Thanks Glo, the thoughts of those that have already dealt with a lot of the emotions we are going through does help clam my nerves. For me I need to stop reading the statistics as those can be a real downer if you look at things through statistical eyes.

Leave a comment:

• jeffmoore
    replied

Originally posted by TRB View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I have family locally but have failed to find the right woman at this time. I'm trying to gain the strength to look beyond today but it is tough. I did see my PCP today and he stated this to me. You can control your BP, weight and diabetes so worry about those things. If my kidneys decide to stop than you did all you could to prevent it.
    Reading all you guys post, I truly understand why you have so much uncertainity, where this thing called dialysis is concerned, but like I have said in previous post, you guys are truly fortunate to have this thing created called early stages of chronic kidney disease. I, Angie, and many others on this post, who started dialysis some decades ago, didn't have the luxury of a monitoring stage and GFR, a lingo that wasn't even in our (dialysis pts.) vocabulary, but I have learned a great deal from my siblings, one started dialysis two years ago, and she stayed steady at stage 4, for several years, and one day it just progressed to stage 5, (full blown end stage renal disease), and now I have another sister that has been at stage 4, for a couple of year, but this past December, she had our access placed for a possible start for dialysis in several months. Back in the day, well anyway during my time (1990), you were just told that you had end stage renal disease, and prior to that time, I was having ungoing kidney infections, which resulted to the decision of starting dialysis ASAP. Now, LIke I said, I know you guys have these concerns, but it is not the end of the world, if it results to dialysis, it could only be for a short period of time, and you receive the blessing of a kidney in a matter of months. But, in my opinion, having the experience of dialysis, even for a short time, could truly be beneficial, because a transplant isn't a guarantee that it will last you to the end of your life. Many of us, have had transplants, like myself, in the past, and it failed after so many years, or even months, and we had to return to dialysis, or even start an actual dialysis, because we might have gotten one before we had to start a treatment, and never knew what to expect with dialysls. I have always lived by my moms words, Even if you have pain that you think you can't bare, just remember you will never suffer as much as jesus did. Don't Let This Disease Control You, You Control The Disease. That is the main reason why I decided to write this book, to share my experience and knowledge, that could be very beneficial to fellow dialysis pts, as well as pending dialysis pts.

Glo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X