Encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Encouragement

Tammy - don't freak out about it. Just realize that they are trying to help you. I would presume that they are looking for high protein within your urine. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get your results. Just do what you have to do and let the docs do their job.

Sorry to hear about your father. I lost my brother back in February and still find it hard to realize he's gone. But I believe that in everyone's passing, strength, hope and faith is passed on from the deceased onto the living. We must take their life source, absorb it and take it with us as we journey through our life. Never really letting go, but holding on to some of it and to use it in our daily lives.

You will get through all of this. Just stay positive and you will do fine.

Comment

Hello all,

I got my lab tests back.

I did adopt a renal diet and have been eating lower protein since my first blood test. I have also lost about 25lbs and dropped my BP by 8 points naturally

My creatinine was 1.16, down from 1.6 a month and a half ago. My GFR is now 80 if I use 1.1 , up from 55.4. My BUN was low....really low actually, it was 6. It was only at 8 before which is encouraging. My sodium, potassium and cholrides were all within range but at the higher end mind you.

I kind of don't know what to make of it. My renal scan showed up normal. Althought I did notice that my kindey's were a little shother in lenth i.e under 10 cm. I think normal is from 10-13, but they were o.k in the width.

My doctor has put off a nephrologists referral for now but will do another blood test in three months.

Any thoughts? Could I just have a higher creatinine because I am of larger mass? My current weight is 213 lbs. I know I am not out of the woods yet, but I am breathing a small sigh of relief. Trying to get my weight down to about 160-170. Eating better, excersise, and will continue wo eat a lower protein diet and monitor my blood pressure.

Best,
      Bravo

Comment

Originally posted by 12Bravo View Post
        Hello all,

I got my lab tests back.

I did adopt a renal diet and have been eating lower protein since my first blood test. I have also lost about 25lbs and dropped my BP by 8 points naturally

My creatinine was 1.16, down from 1.6 a month and a half ago. My GFR is now 80 if I use 1.1 , up from 55.4. My BUN was low....really low actually, it was 6. It was only at 8 before which is encouraging. My sodium, potassium and cholrides were all within range but at the higher end mind you.

I kind of don't know what to make of it. My renal scan showed up normal. Althought I did notice that my kindey's were a little shother in lenth i.e under 10 cm. I think normal is from 10-13, but they were o.k in the width.

My doctor has put off a nephrologists referral for now but will do another blood test in three months.

Any thoughts? Could I just have a higher creatinine because I am of larger mass? My current weight is 213 lbs. I know I am not out of the woods yet, but I am breathing a small sigh of relief. Trying to get my weight down to about 160-170. Eating better, excersise, and will continue wo eat a lower protein diet and monitor my blood pressure.

Best,
        Bravo
        Hi Bravo,
        Congratulations on the lab results! That's very encouraging. I'm not an expert, but I'll share my opinion. It's not likely that the larger mass caused an elevated creatinine. In very muscular people it can elevate it, but in healthy kidneys it shouldn't be above normal. Low blood urea nitrogen (BUN) may be indicating that you are a bit dehydrated. Are you drinking enough fluids? Unless you have some other medical problems I can't see any reason you should be on any fluid restriction at this point. It sounds like you are doing some very wise things by losing some weight and controlling your blood pressure. Good job! When they check your labs again in 3 months hopefully that will tell you if things are staying in the normal range. I will be praying that it was just a bump in the road.
        Jim

Comment

Hi Bravo,
          Congratulations on the lab results! That's very encouraging. I'm not an expert, but I'll share my opinion. It's not likely that the larger mass caused an elevated creatinine. In very muscular people it can elevate it, but in healthy kidneys it shouldn't be above normal. Low blood urea nitrogen (BUN) may be indicating that you are a bit dehydrated. Are you drinking enough fluids? Unless you have some other medical problems I can't see any reason you should be on any fluid restriction at this point. It sounds like you are doing some very wise things by losing some weight and controlling your blood pressure. Good job! When they check your labs again in 3 months hopefully that will tell you if things are staying in the normal range. I will be praying that it was just a bump in the road.
          Jim
          Jim,

Thanks Jim

From what I have read a high BUN usually indicates dehydration and a low BUN usually indicates too much fluids. I have been drinking more water, staying adequetly hydrated, but not overly doing it. Even when my creatinine was elevated my BUN and and BUN/creatinine ratios were all very low.
          I have read in some body building forums that many of the members are usually at the upper limit and some...actually quite a few are out side the range 1.5,1.6 even 1.7! I am by no means a body builder and never eat as much protein as some of those guys now a days (300 g and up a day). But I have also read in other article that the mean serum creatinine for college football players was 1.4.
          I hope it is like you said Jim just a bump in the road.

Best,
          Bravo

Comment

Hi Jim,
            I think you are my angle I have been looking for for info about CKD!! My Aunt that6 lives with me has been just diagnosed with CKD and we are going Crazy looking for things she can and cannot have!! I know there are different stages of CKD, we don't know what stage she is yet. The Dr.'s were very vague with us when putting her on her Renal diet. All I know is she has lost half of her Kidney function?? I look forward to hearing back from you with any helpful tips you can give. thanks Angle

Comment

Originally posted by jimw View Post
              I'm pretty new to this forum, but have been reading posts from so many people going through the various stages of kidney disease and dialysis and my heart just goes out to everyone, the patients and their families. I have had diabetes for 32 years and ckd for 13 years. I was on dialysis for 1 1/2 years and just received a kidney and pancreas transplant 3 1/2 months ago. I would love to share my experiences with anyone who has questions about any aspect of the process. I am an RN and feel that one of the reasons God had me go through all this is that maybe with my experience with kidney failure and my nursing experience I could educate and uplift some folks along the way. My prayer is that God will bless all of you who are struggling with kidney disease and the other issues that come with it.

Thank you for your post on here. I am sure that it is going to encourage many people and you will get a lot of messages. My father has been diabetic for at least 20 years. Probably a lot longer than that, but was too dang stubborn to go to the doctor to find out. He's been dealing with CKD for a few years as well, but seems that just in the past two years, it has taken it's toll and we saw steady decline in health. He's doing dialysis now, and is doing good on it. He's only been doing it for a short time, so it is still taking a lot out of him right now but I'm sure that will change as he gets used to it. I will be taking him to the dialysis center in about 2 hours today. His doctor had originally told dad (according to dad) that he wasn't a candidate for a transplant. Then my sister and I met the doctor and my sister asked about it and the doctor had said that dad wasn't a candidate right now because of his weight, but if he lost weight, he would definitely be willing to work with dad about getting on the transplant list. (I am going to see if I am a match for a donor as well if this works out that way.) Dad has hearing problems, I think we all have "selective hearing" but sometimes my Dad has it bad. LOL! Seriously, he does have hearing problems, so he might not have heard all of what the doctor had told him and thought he wasn't a candidate for a transplant.
              Anyway, it's good to read that you were able to get a transplant ... it gives my family some encouragement.
              Question for you....I have read where a pancreas/kidney transplant can help with diabetes. Have you found that to be true in your case?
              Other people's opinions of me do not have to become my reality.

I do not have to attend every argument that I am invited to.

Comment

Originally posted by glo View Post
                Hi Jim,
                I think you are my angle I have been looking for for info about CKD!! My Aunt that6 lives with me has been just diagnosed with CKD and we are going Crazy looking for things she can and cannot have!! I know there are different stages of CKD, we don't know what stage she is yet. The Dr.'s were very vague with us when putting her on her Renal diet. All I know is she has lost half of her Kidney function?? I look forward to hearing back from you with any helpful tips you can give. thanks Angle

This is what I found online about the stages of kidney function.

The five stages of CKD.
                1 Kidney damage with normal or raised GFR: >90 ml/min/1.73m2
                2 Kidney damage with mild decrease in GFR : 60-90 ml/min/1.73m2
                3 Moderate decrease in GFR: 30-59 ml/min/1.73m2
                4 Severe decrease in GFR: 15-29 ml/min/1.73m2
                5 Kidney Failure GFR: <15 ml/min/1.73m2
                Other people's opinions of me do not have to become my reality.

I do not have to attend every argument that I am invited to.

Comment

Hey guys/gals,

I have been away from the forums for a bit, been a little busy with some enjoyful things in my life....so no bad news

I actual had another blood test a couple of months ago and my creatinine was at a 1.06 down from a 1.16 from last time and down from 1.6 from the first time when I became aware of my potential problem. My BUN was of the charts on the low end 6, the low end was an 8 on my print out.

It seems as though controlling my blood pressure and eating a little less protein is having a good effect on my kidneys for the time being. My blood pressure is in good shape, under 120/80. My blood pressure never climbs to high even when I am not on medication usually 120-125/80-85. My doctor has me on 1 10 mg tablet of lisinopril per day and is hoping that if I shed a few more lbs and exercise that I might be taken of the medication completely.

I hope I can control this as succesfully as some of the other members here on the forums

Best,
                  Noel

Comment

Great job Noel, keep up the good work.

Glo

Comment

Thank you Glo. :-)

I glanced at your profile page and read that your going on 19 years on dialysis, maybe 20 now. That is amazing!
                      I would be curious to know at what age you started dialysis (if not too personal), just from my reading, I find that people who do real well on dialysis usually start at a young age. My guess is that your body makes adjustments and develops with the new changes...just my guess

Best,
                      Noel

Comment

I have renal failure going on 19 months. I was able to endure the dialysis up to 3 weeks ago and then I got this terrible itch. I have been looking at the food intake. several foods that I used to enjoy now have been put off limits due to allergies. there are six foods that I am supposed to be allergic to as follows: egg whites. oats, wheat flour, green beans,rice,soy milk, Cows milk and I had been avoiding but one must be careful as it is used in other foods too. Now with this added food group it is hard to find something to eat. I just went to the ultra care Doc and was prescribed an antihistamine and it seems to be making me very sleepy he told me not to drive for awhile until I found how it effects me. I am hoping that it will clear up this itching problem. I have to take my meds and head for the bed. oh my creatinine is 7.5-8.5 and the GRF is 8 nice eh. I have PKD.

Comment

That is great Noel!
                          Angie
                          Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                          I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                          • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                          • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                          • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Originally posted by 12Bravo View Post
                            Thank you Glo. :-)

I glanced at your profile page and read that your going on 19 years on dialysis, maybe 20 now. That is amazing!
                            I would be curious to know at what age you started dialysis (if not too personal), just from my reading, I find that people who do real well on dialysis usually start at a young age. My guess is that your body makes adjustments and develops with the new changes...just my guess

Best,
                            Noel
                            Thanks for your very kind and commendable words, Yes, I am currently in my 20th year of dialysis. I had a ten year run with hemo and now in my 10th year of PD. However, I did have a transplant in 1993, but due to complications from the anti-rejection drugs, which weren't as great as they are now, I lost the kidney after four months of function. There is controversy as to why I haven't had a transplant ever since, but that is another story in itself. I started dialysis at age 34, and I am now 53, but I continue to have faith, hope and belief in him, that a blessing of a kidney will come one day soon. Hit me up anytime, if you want to hear some more about my dialysis saga. i would like to hear a little about your dialysis journey sometime.

Take Care
                            Glo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmoore View Post
                              Thanks for your very kind and commendable words, Yes, I am currently in my 20th year of dialysis. I had a ten year run with hemo and now in my 10th year of PD. However, I did have a transplant in 1993, but due to complications from the anti-rejection drugs, which weren't as great as they are now, I lost the kidney after four months of function. There is controversy as to why I haven't had a transplant ever since, but that is another story in itself. I started dialysis at age 34, and I am now 53, but I continue to have faith, hope and belief in him, that a blessing of a kidney will come one day soon. Hit me up anytime, if you want to hear some more about my dialysis saga. i would like to hear a little about your dialysis journey sometime.

Take Care
                              Glo
                              I'm happy to read this as I so feel depressed right now. My numbers are better but when "I" asked where I am in the overall picture. Doctor states I'm 3 to 5 years away from dialysis or transplant. At 45 I feel I have a long life I have yet to live but am concerned how well and long one can last. Diabetes sure is a silent killer and I can preach to others how important it is to keep it under control.
                              Stage 3 (GFR 35) & Diabetes.

Comment

I truly understand. I am a 19 year veteran diabetic (Type II) also trying to cope with ckd. I remember years ago when i refused any sort of HRT while going through menopause. I feared an increase risk for certain types of cancer since there is such a huge genetic history of all sorts of cancer in both sides of my family. When I relayed this to my PCP at that time as my reason for refusing HRT..she looked at me very bluntly & stated.."The biggest threat to your life is your diabetes". Proving true more & more each time I turn around.
                                Wish I could also sound more positive right now & I suppose I could use a good kick in the but & told to get my big girl pants on & deal with all of this, but having a hard time myself.
                                "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
                                Type 2 Diabetic
                                Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
                                feeling stronger every day! :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X