Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average length of time from when you found out you had CKD and starting dialysis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average length of time from when you found out you had CKD and starting dialysis?

I was wondering about the length of time from when MOST find out they have CKD and when they need to start dialysis? I realize it depends on what stage you are in when it is identified.

Re: Average length of time from when you found out you had CKD and starting dialysis?

I don't think anyone can cite an average length of time. It does depend upon how early a person is diagnosed and what caused the kidney problem to begin with. In my case my kidneys were damaged by an e coli infection when I was in my early thirties. I had a steady decline of kidney function from then until my early 50s when I was diagnosed as being in stage 3. I started dialysis at age 60. Other than personal experiences such as mine I don't think anyone can give you an answer to your question.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Re: Average length of time from when you found out you had CKD and starting dialysis?

I agree with ChefNancy. I was first diagnosed with End Stage Renal Failure when I was 16. Took medication for the next 10 years, with the promise of dialysis when the meds stopped working. I chose an alternate route instead (early 20s) which kept me alive and functioning without any medication whatsoever for the next 23 years. Then something shifted this past year and I ended up on dialysis in April, at age 47. I was again at Stage 5, End Stage Renal Failure.

Comment

So, if the damage to kidneys was done by prescription meds over the last several yrs., does that mean it might be a shorter or longer timeframe before needing dialysis?

Comment

It depends on the extent of the damage. I've seen patients with kidney damage from meds who totally avoided dialysis or got off after a few months on dialysis. I don't think anyone can accurately project it. Best advice...watch your diet and hope.
          Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
          Flip

Comment

Working...
          X