X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blavoie
    replied
    Re: Newbie and Needing Support

Hang in there, I am at stage 5 with a GFR = 12. I am not sure when I am to start PD but and quite sur it will be sooner than later.

Leave a comment:

• eaglewoman
    replied

Hi,
    Just got my blood results from last week, didn't talk to the Neph or even her nurse, it was someone else in the office so hope I got the right resluts, when her nurse gets back will have her send the results.
    She said everything was better-
    Creatinine was1.01
    GRF was 55
    I'd say that is a lot better, have been drinking lots of water and trying to follow the didney diet.
    but she did say I need to go to the hospital and have an iron infusion. what is that and how do they do it?
    tried to find it online and got no results.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

You are welcome. I always share that site because it was the most helpful of all the sites I visited as a newbie.

Leave a comment:

• cadreamn
    replied

ChefNancy, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing the www.kidneyschool.org Oh my gosh, that has been a lifesaver. I go there often, I can look at different modules when I need to and it has really been an eye opener. Again, thank you so much for sharing this great information. XOXO

Leave a comment:

• cadreamn
    replied

Thank you Eaglewomen for keeping us posted on your biopsy. I started my Procrit shot yesterday and hopefully that will help me feel better. Of course I have a nasty virus that is going around so while in the office getting my injection I was given more drugs because I now have an upper respratory infection and bronchitis. Oh boy, so if it's not one thing its another but hopefully after I get over that and continue taking my injections I will start to feel better. I am still seeing bubbles in the toilet so I know I am still spilling protein, it just wont seem to stop. I just dont know, but all of you have helped so much by responding. You dont know how much it means to know that all of us are here for one another and we are all in this together. Thanks to all of you for your posts, it keeps me going!

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

Welcome, Alonda. You are a good person to be concerned about your brother's and your aunt's health condition. The best site for information, in my opinion, is www.kidneyschool.org. They explain everything and the information is presented in modules so that you don't get overwhelmed. You can print out any of the information that you want to share with your brother and your aunt. Good luck to you all. Come back often and ask questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question, so ask away.

Leave a comment:

• flipw
    replied

They probably need to find a good nephrologist and start making preparations for dialysis or transplant. I know it sounds harsh but that's the way it is. You should probably encourage them to join this forum too. It's not really as bad as it sounds.

Leave a comment:

• alonda
    replied

I am also a newbie to this forum. Although it is not for me that i am here. I am trying to learn as much as possible about ckd. It is my only brother and my aunt who have this. The last 2 members of my family. From what i have been able to find and understand my brother is stage 4. He has 1 kidney. Tired all the time, itchy legs, numbness in finger tips, loss of color in nails, dr had told him the 1st of sept he had just shy of 20% . Can someone talk to me about this? My aunt has 2 kidneys at 21%. I dont know what to look for, expect or understand terms. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• eaglewoman
    replied

Thanks for the good words.
    Ireally felt good when I left there.
    I never add salt to anything, don't even own a salt shaker.
    When we have company for the holidays my daughter-in-law brings her salt
    shaker over. Never use it in cooking either, only in baking.
    Have been trying to follow the diet some, so think that is helping.
    She said we were going to try and keep it right where it is and then i
    should be ok.
    go for blood work next week if it is good then don't have to see her till
    Dec.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

Actually those are pretty good results. Of course it would be better if the tests said you didn't have kidney disease at all, but these results say that you are in a very early stage. If you watch your diet (probably only need to watch sodium at this point) and take any medications according to instructions you will have a long time before your kidney disease becomes a problem for you.

Leave a comment:

• eaglewoman
    replied

Hi,
    Just got back from my biopsy report.
    Don't know that I know a whole lot more than I did going in, but at least it seems not that bad. The report says:
    43% glomerulosclerosis
    Chronic Tubulointerstitial injury involving an estimated 40% of the Tubuloinerstitial compartment.
    Neph says;
    don't need to do the renal diet yet, but did give me some information so I can sort of watch what I am eating. No need for iron, or the binders as all those numbers are still good. Still don't know what caused the kidneys to fail. going to keep watch. will go for more blood work next week and then again in Nov, unless somethig shows up in the test next week.
    Said I have to consider myself a kidney patient, and be sure and clear with her any new medicines and test from any other dr and be sure and tell them that I am a kidney patient.
    Right now I am ok, and have none of the syptoms, except for the blood results, so I feel lucky in that, and will keep monitoring to be sure all is ok.
    My daughter-in-law went with me today, just in case! and she is a nurse so she had soem questions to ask the dr. too. she is very good and takes very good care of me.

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

Keep coming back and let us know how you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• cadreamn
    replied

Oh my, all of you are wonderful. Thank you so much for the web site on the kidney school, I cant wait to go there and read, I am sure it will give me good advice. I do hope the Procrit shots will make me feel better, but I did hear that it's not going to work right away so I will be patient as I know it will take some time. Thanks for all the wonderful support and if I can do anything for any of you, please just ask. I'm hanging in there.... Somehow.....

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

Carson, give the ProCrit shots some time. It took me about two and a half months before my numbers started to improve and I felt a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Carsonv3
    replied

Cadreamn, you're not alone. I'm at Stage 4 CKD. I'm Anemic and injecting 10,00 ml of Procrit a week. Can't honestly it makes me feel better because i'm constantly exhausted.
    Hopefully with Dialysis i'll feel much better.

Deppession is hard to deal with especially if all this is new. Communicate with your support team here, we're all in this together.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X