Need Encouragement-Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Encouragement-Please help!

My dad was just put on hemodialysis yesterday. This came about very suddenly and was done on an emergency basis.. I cant help but worry. Dad is 47 years old and worked all last week as a construction worker then ended up in the ER on friday. He has been diagonsed with ESRD. The doctors do not believe it is genetic. Dad was just the lucky one. He seems so down and as his little girl it is so hard to see him that way.. I guess the question that lingers in the back of my mind is.. How long can dad live on dialysis? He only has high blood pressure and does not have any other illnesses. I know that with God all things are possible and he could be healed but Im not ready to lose my daddy!

If any one could share their stories with me including how long theyve been on dialysis I would really appreciate it. I just want to know Dad can live as long as others if he takes care of himself.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I started dialysis eight months ago under very similar circumstances. A week before I started dialysis, I had no idea I had any health problems, and I was wondering why I was getting tired easily. I've been on home hemodialysis now for about four months, and I feel great. I also have high blood pressure and no other health problems, and I see no reason why one cannot live a good long life on dialysis. I'll keep you and your dad in my prayers.

Adam
    When my emotions start to cramp, the Lord turns off my UF and gives me some saline.

Comment

Hi!

While your dad is young, we have many younger people here who have survived on dialysis for many years, one for over 37 years. At 47 and with only high blood pressure your dad may be a candidate for a transplant. While things seem so twisted, confusing and he is totally at a loss at the moment, eventually things will begin to focus and things won't look so hopeless. I worked, played, loved and raised a family while dealing with kidney disease, dialysis and then a transplant. Life changes a bit but is definitely a do-able thing with a few modifications. We did things as we always had but did them sometimes for a shorter period or a different day of the week to accomodate my dialysis schedule. I did in-center hemodialysis but those who do PD or home hemo swear by that modality. Believe the disease will defeat you and it will. Positive attitude is a must and the ability to roll with the punches most necessary. I hate to say this but in time things really will get better!
      "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
      Linda
      Tx: 7/28/2005
      St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

I agree with Adam and Miss Linda. I am 20 years old and have been on dialysis for a year and a half. There are a few options for healthy people like your dad, such as home dialysis and transplant so that he doesn't have to go to the center every other day to dialyze, and most say that one feels better doing dialysis at home. I've only done dialysis at home, so I have nothing to compare to it.

I will say that it takes time for one's body to get used to dialysis, so he might not get better right away, but he WILL get better, I am sure. Just give it a little time, and learn what you can.
        Shannon
        KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
        If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

First, welcome to this site. You must be a very caring person to worry so much about your dad. He is lucky to have you. He is also lucky that he is only 47 and only has high blood pressure and not a lot of other additional illnesses. That gives him a lot of options. There is one person on this site, Susan, who has been on dialysis for 37 years plus and is living an active life. As the others said, he may be eligible to get a transplant. He also may have dialysis options other than in-center hemo. Please come back and let us know how he is doing. We are also here if you just need to vent. I will hope for the best for your dad.
          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

thank you!

To those of you that have already replied--- THANK YOU!!!!!! It really helps to talk to others who know and understand..Dad is still weak but physically I can tell a difference. Continue to remeber us and post as you can! I really appreciate the support and prayers..
            You all are the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!

Comment

Glad to hear he is making some progress. I'll bet he'll be up and around soon. I will put you on my prayer list. Let us know how we can help, even if only to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by candileigh03 View Post
                My dad was just put on hemodialysis yesterday. This came about very suddenly and was done on an emergency basis.. I cant help but worry. Dad is 47 years old and worked all last week as a construction worker then ended up in the ER on friday. He has been diagonsed with ESRD. The doctors do not believe it is genetic. Dad was just the lucky one. He seems so down and as his little girl it is so hard to see him that way.. I guess the question that lingers in the back of my mind is.. How long can dad live on dialysis? He only has high blood pressure and does not have any other illnesses. I know that with God all things are possible and he could be healed but Im not ready to lose my daddy!

If any one could share their stories with me including how long theyve been on dialysis I would really appreciate it. I just want to know Dad can live as long as others if he takes care of himself.
                Hello, dialysis is not the end of the road and I can assure you that once he starts dialysis he will start feeling much better. I've been on dialysis since 1978! He may also keep his job...If he's willingly he may also choose to do dialysis at home...I would recommend frequent dialysis..either daily-short or Nocturnal...
                My Blog Site
                Http://www.dailyhemo.org
                sigpic

Comment

not 47,70+

Oh do I know how your day feels. I was so week after being told you have to go on dialysis, if I was anywhere, floor, seat, wagon, that was where I was going to be until some force of nature changed it, like my wife helping me up or me falling from my perch. Within two months I was given the choice get on dialysis or write your will and don't take too much time.
                  I had a catheter installed that evening and my first dialysis that night and the 4 days in row and was declared fit for dialysis.
                  When I arrived I was seated 2 hrs late. By now I hated every person in the southeast and most of the rest. I was depressed beyond belief and still wonder why I was not sent to a different unit.
                  But time went on, 3 days a week and I had a new M/W/F schedule that was not to be tampered with. They started building my fistula, and it is a perfect one if I do say so, and until I started using that some 3 months later, I truly did not feel much better. My anger was gone because the situation was non negotiable. Depression was still rampant because I was not feeling that much better. Started using the fistula and my whole wrold changed.
                  I started feeling better and better and now am at the health feeling state that I was some 10-20 years. I exercise every M/W/F at 630-8 and come home shower and eat breakfast, my favorite part, get dressed and arrive at Davita at about 930. I am a Village Greeter there until 12 when it's my time for the machine.
                  I attend the prospective patient orientation and try to convince them that the biggest problem they have is to figure out which method they want.
                  In summary I have been on HD for 1.5 years, I look forward to going to dialysis. If I have a complaint, I write it down, edit it twice and then decide whether to turn them in or not. I have one time and the situation was handled promptly.
                  I would rather have my kidneys, but that is not possible. What I have is a gift from God that lets me live in comfort, do most of the things I want to and amaze my neighbors by mowing our yard. The mower is a push reel mower and I can get it done. I work T/TH for a charity all day long, I teach Statistics at a community college for 4 hours Thur night.
                  I expect to have another 20 years and the staff says I hope not because I sing hymns to patients, I tell jokes, sometimes I cry but the patients and staff are my very closest friends.
                  It just ain't a big deal when you analyze it.
                  Sorry this is so long, but I have nothing but positive things about dialysis. Now I do have some unprintable words/phrases about idiopathic kidney diseases.
                  My prayers for your dad.
                  Oh one last thing to help you unserstand this, as a kid I was called Crazy Clarence!
                  May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
                  Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
                  Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
                  Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
                  Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

You are an inspiration, CK! And I know you must be an encouragment to those at the dialysis center. What a blessing you've made of yourself. Your a gift to others! May God bless you even more abundantly!
                    My Writings

Comment

What A Journey!!!

This Has Truly Been A Journey. I Will Be Completely Honest When The Er Docs Looked At Us And Said Your Dad Will Most Likely Be On Dialysis For The Rest Of His Life i Felt That The World Around Me Had Caved In. I Didnt Know Whether To Cry, Scream Or Just Run. However, I Am The Oldest Child And Being A Nurse I Am The One That Every One Leans On. Being A Nurse Is Sure Not Easy When A Loved One Is Hurt Or Sick Because You Know Too Much And Its Just Makes The Worrying Worse. When I First Wrote I Knew All The Statistics With Dialysis But A Person Isnt Statistics. It So does Help To Talk To Others Who Have BEen In This Place. To Have Names And Situations To Look At .. It Helps To Give Encouragement. I Am Trying To Be The Strong One For Mom And Dad. They Want Me To Be At All The Important Appointments Because "your The Nurse" They Say,. But It Sure Is Hard. I Am Married And Have A 4 Yr Old Besides Working Full Time And Being Active In Church,. But Ya Know Its Ok, As The Long As The Lord Gives Me Strength I Will Do All I Can. I Am Now Struggling With How To Pray Over Dad Getting A Transplant. It Kinda Makes Me Feel Guilty Because I Know Someone Must Die For Dad To Get One that is If Its Not A Living Donor.. But I Know God Will Give Me The Strength To Bare And Overcome All Obstacles. Dad Is Doing Better And Has Started Lexapro To Help With His Depression, He Is Still Suffering With Cramps And Trying To "tweak" His Diet. But God Will Help Him Overcome All Of This.

I Guess This Is Just A Entry To Talk To Those Who Understand...

Remember Us In Your Prayers, As We Will You.

May God Bless You!

Comment

I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing somewhat better and that he is getting an anti-depressant to help with those symptoms. Things will eventually settle down into a routine so that it won't always be so hard on you and your family. I can understand the pressure from family to be "the strong one", but you do have to take care of the needs of yourself and your family also. Balancing all these needs can be tricky, but if you have faith God will help you. I will put you on my prayer list. The cramps could be because they have mis-calculated his dry weight, but I am sure that, as a nurse, you know that. Hope he continues to improve.

Comment

It's Not Easy But Dialysis IS Doable.

I was very moved by your letters and the warm and kind responses to those letters. I am 46 years old; sort of like your Dad and I have been on dialysis for five years. It was hard at first getting used to the needles and the many food restrictions that every dialysis patient must follow but it does get MUCH easier with time. One gets better at dealing with the minor upsets with ones kidney health and sitting still for three hours. But if your Dad is strong and eats only those things that are acceptable for dialysis patients he could live for another 50 years or more. Yesterday in dialysis my nurse told me that she was visited by a patient of hers who had been on dialysis for 47 years. By taking the phosphorous binders with meals and staying away from dairy foods and limiting veggies and fruit, I believe that the sky is the limit on age while on dialysis. (fruits and vegetables are loaded with potassium and that chemical can lead to heart seizure in dialysis patients if unchecked.)
                          Please realize that your Dad will get down at times, as all dialysis patients do just because being in a medical environment three days a week and dealing with medical issues all the time can be draining. I don't like medical environments, food restrictions, tests, laying in a chair for three hours and dealing with people who I don't like but there is a bright side in my dialysis life. There are the people I come in contact with that I DO like in dialysis and I try to joke around a little to ease some of the tension. And I can still eat some foods that I do like and I have my best friend who sits with me during dialysis sometimes. And dialysis is not my life nor is it your Dad's life. It's there JUST to keep us alive. It's the time spent away from the clinic that matters and its essential to get the most out those hours and those days.
                          I used to think that God was punishing me by giving me end stage renal disease and now I believe that this is not God's doing, it's just a problem in my life and God IS there to guide me through, bring me comfort and Love. It's the Love that you have for your Dad that is going to make the difference in his life. And maybe this experience will help to foster Love between you and your dad that would never have been there otherwise. I'm sending you a prayer, wishing for your Dad's comfort and for your and your families happiness.

Comment

Thanks

Some of the stories are so touching. Candileigh03 I feel you, I will keep you and your Dad in my prayrs. The stories here really help me face what will happen next.

Tonight I explained kidney failure and Dialysis to my 14 year old son. I was OK until his eyes teared.

I guess i'll have my PD tube placed in the coming weeks, and i'll post my progress.

Comment

Re: Need Encouragement-Please help!

I wish you and your family the best! I've been on dialysis since July 2005. I, too had to go straight to the ER to get a cathetar in to start treatments immediately so I know what your father (and yourself) is going through. My husband feels the same way. He worries 3x's a week when I have to go and sit in the chair for 3 hours and 15 minutes but when I get done and call him when I'm through, I know he feels so much better. Due to my employer "letting me go" due to my illness, I've had time to think about so many things. Positive of course. One good thing is I've been on the transplant list since December 2007 and hope that one day I'll get "that call." As for your father, he may also be a candidate for a transplant. Just don't give up hope. I've learned that when one door closes, another one opens----for the best! Your in my prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X