Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Person here

Hello,

My best friend has had a difficult 6 months. She had the flesh eating bacteria and now her one and only kidney has failed. She started dialysis on a 24hr period on Tuesday. She is supposed to have surgery tomorrow to put something more permanet in her collarbone. They think they are going to have to post pone the surgery cause her platelets are too low. Im very scared for her. Please help

Susie, if your friend's kidney failed suddenly rather than over a period of years, there's a modest chance that it will eventually recover from the failure. This is called "acute" renal failure rather than "chronic" renal failure. In the case of acute renal failure, dialysis is used to support the patient during the time that the kidney is working poorly. Eventually, dialysis becomes unnecessary.

I hope that this turns out to be true of your friend. But, even if not, she can have a long and active life unless she has other serious health problems. In the short run, her biggest problem is likely to be coping with all that's happening to her. In other words, her most serious injury is likely to be emotional rather than physical.

You can be a real help to her by accompanying her through the process of grieving for her lost health. In particular, you can reassure her of your friendship and help her see that her condition is not without hope.

Thanks for being there for her. I'll be praying for both of you.

Blessings,

Comment

Susie,

Your support is going to be an such an important thing to your friend at this time. All of us who are dealing with kidney disease and dialysis feel so alone and to have a friend who cares and is willing to help them through this critical time is invaluable. The fact that you are looking for help and answers to questions speaks so much. I encourage you both to check out the various support group websites, this one being one as well as dialysis_support in yahoo groups. I also strongly suggest you go to the kidney_school site. This is an absolute must for those beginning dialysis and want answers to questions. The modules are easy to understand and are filled with info. It is not necessary for either of you to try to go through this alone. There are so many people who are willing to help in any way possible and I advise you both to take advantage. You might also speak to the social worker in the unit and ask if she can suggest anyone willing to speak one-on-one with your friend. We use this around here and have found it to be extremely well received. Several people volunteer to speak to beginning dialysis patients and since they have or are going through the dialysis process, it seems to help break the ice for friendship and sharing opinions and thoughts. It sometimes helps to speak to someone who is experiencing the same things you are. My family has been fantastic but I sometimes feel that only a person going through what I am experiencing is who I need to speak to.

Best of luck to you both and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
      "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
      Linda
      Tx: 7/28/2005
      St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Re: New Person here

there is a girl at davita dialysis name kathy
        and she can use many prayers
        as susie had mention her friend having the flesh bactrai diease.
        kathy has the same thing she has been in the hospitol for 3weeks
        and have been on dialysis for 19yrs.. they dont know how much longer she will live
        kathy seem to be a fighter and i had wrote a poem for her which the respontionsit took to her and she cried

kathy had a bf that she was with for 10yrs and he died several yrs back
        when she had to go to the hospitol in portland he would get off work and drive up there and sleep on the cot next to her. and get up in the morn and do the same thing all over
        i dont know what kind of health issue he had but he died several yrs ago from a stroke and i was told that he would pay for his co pays for his own meds but would pay for kathy
        he just avoide his all together...

this man truly was in love with kathy..

please send prayer to her and her family

Comment

I will certainly be praying for her.
          Caregiver (CG) to diabetic husband with cirrhosis and ESRD, on PD with cycler since October 2010.
          Update: Hubby received liver/kidney transplant in June 2011! We are blessed.

Comment

I will pray for her everyday!!!!
            ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Originally posted by jenjen76 View Post
              I will pray for her everyday!!!!
              Sending prayers and best wishes from the bay area
              Glo

Comment

Sending lots of prayers for Kathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I also am new here. I was diagnosed one yr ago with stage 3 CKD my GFR is 30. I still have no idea how long I've had this disease. I tell my neph how I am feeling, all he can say is, what I'm feeling is all the symptoms of ESRD. As if I know what that means!

I'm at my wits end here. I feel rundown, fatigued, joints and muscles ache, headache's, stabbing leg cramps that feel like daggers twisting my muscles, numb tingly feelings in my feet, my hands fall asleep as soon as I try to use them, now I have noticed lately my hands trembling. Is this normal with CKD? I have no idea, I have never traveled down this road before! Seems I cant get answers from my neph or my PCP.

I am anemic, my hemoglobin is 9, still no advice from Dr's. I finally started on my own taking prenatal vitamins, D3, magnesium for muscle relaxing. I have read about certain vitamins on line and magnesium from Dr Oz. I'm thinking of firing both my Dr's! What else can I do?

any input would be appreciated,

Thanks

Comment

Oh my, for starters you can GET OFF the Prenatal vitamins! If the doctor did not prescribe them, then I wouldn't take them if I were you. Did you know that magnesium and minerals like that can get trapped in your ailing kidneys and destroy them further? If he/she is attentive enough, I do think you need to get with your GP and tell them what the nephrologist told you. Get your GP to address the issue with your nehphrologist to see how best to handle your symptoms. Get a new GP if you must. We can't go and start diagnosing ourselves, Mini. I am stage 4 and have had your symptoms in the past prior to being diagnosed. At the time, I had no idea what I was experiencing, but my symptoms lasted no more than a day at a time--therefore the reason I didn't have it investigated. My nephrologist told me that that is when I was in end stage and didn't know it. Fortunately, my disease was caught before "End Stage" truly was how far my kidneys stayed. Our numbers bounce around, and often we can be worse off or better off than our last lab work up. I was told that vitamin supplements without minerals is the best route to go, but I've had no luck finding them over the counter since I was diagnosed a year and a half ago. Therefore, I let the good food I eat take care of those needs. As for anemia, yes, I am borderline anemic all the time. It does help to cook in those iron skillets as the iron is absorbed into the foods. Get exposure to sun when you can.
                    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
                    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
                    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
                    ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Originally posted by Mini American Eskimo's View Post
                      I also am new here. I was diagnosed one yr ago with stage 3 CKD my GFR is 30. I still have no idea how long I've had this disease. I tell my neph how I am feeling, all he can say is, what I'm feeling is all the symptoms of ESRD. As if I know what that means!

I'm at my wits end here. I feel rundown, fatigued, joints and muscles ache, headache's, stabbing leg cramps that feel like daggers twisting my muscles, numb tingly feelings in my feet, my hands fall asleep as soon as I try to use them, now I have noticed lately my hands trembling. Is this normal with CKD? I have no idea, I have never traveled down this road before! Seems I cant get answers from my neph or my PCP.

I am anemic, my hemoglobin is 9, still no advice from Dr's. I finally started on my own taking prenatal vitamins, D3, magnesium for muscle relaxing. I have read about certain vitamins on line and magnesium from Dr Oz. I'm thinking of firing both my Dr's! What else can I do?

any input would be appreciated,

Thanks
                      Replace your Dr. if he won't discuss or explain things to you. You deserve more attention than your getting. Diet is key now and you should see a dietician to help with that. Please don't take any meds. on your own without the approval from your Dr. I would ask your Dr. for treatment for the anemia. You can take iron supplements but need to do so under medical supervision. Right now you are borderline stage 3 and 4. You may be able to improve your labs. and certainly start feeling better with the correct diet. I would have a serious talk with your Dr. and if he doesn't satisfy your needs, move on to someone who will.
                      May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
                      Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Damn... Magnesium can be very nephrogenic! Do not ever take a multivitamin or use a magnesium containing calcium binder. You could kill your kidney... always take a bottle of what ever you propose to use to a renal clinic and find out if you can safely take the contents... there is no backing away from an ill-considered move!

Comment

Wow thank you everyone, you have given me more information than either of my Dr's

I did not know any of this information about the vitamin's minerals, or fluctuations in numbers. I feel like I'm in the dark here.

I will discontinue the vitamins and magnesium, they didn't seem to help at all. Nothing seems to. I have went down 4 sizes in 3 months. Every time I buy a pr of jeans, the next week or so they are falling down. Thats ok for now, but I certainly don't want to look like a bag of bones either.

Thank you for all your info.
                          Mini

Comment

Working...
                          X