new to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forum

Hello everyone, This is the place I have been looking for. Each of you has good advice and tips to remain healthy and eat well. I am going to write for some Papa dash today, thanks Chefnancy and flip. I did not understand how to post and Cassie helped me with this just today. Big thanks to you, Cassie. I will introduce myself. I am Nancy but using the sign-on Nanny. I am not on DY yet and hope to avoid it as long as possible by eating right and exercising. I have had diabetes for over 20 years and while I do not use lots of carbs and deserts, I have eaten way too much of both thru the years. I am a BC survivor for 7 years (going on 8). I am in awe of everyone here for the knowledge they have stored and the attitude toward treatment. I used to think that DY destroyed the quality of life totaly and now I know that is untrue. Nan

Welcome, Nan. It's great to have you with us.
    Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
    Flip

Comment

Glad you made it onto the forum, Nan. Welcome!
      My Writings

Comment

labs a little worse today

Hello to everyone. Cassie and Flip, thank you for the welcome greeting. I got new lab report today in the mail and my labs are a little worse than last month. Now the creatinine is @1.35 (was 1.24) and the Bun is @ 27 (was 31) and the GFR is @39 and was 42. Can this flucuate a lot from month to month? I was in NC last month and had not started my diet and was eating meat and chips, etc. that I should not have eaten. My GP is not alarmed but does recommend I see a Neph now..I have already made the appt....My GP writes that I am slightly elevated-not severe. Still scares the blank out of me. So much to learn but I am committed to learning everything I can. It gives me a comforting feeling to write here on this forum because you each have been where I am right now. AND I know if everyone here is coping with this disease then I also can learn to cope. GOD BLESS, Nan

Comment

Yes, these numbers can vary from month to month for various reasons. A 24 hour creatnine clearance will give you a more accurate idea as to where you are. Cutting back on protein will help. When I was where you are now I didn't diet any (wish I had) and it was years before I went on dialysis. You should also monitor your phosphorus and potassium levels. Davita has a lot of good recipes on this site. You want the ones that are for Pre Dialysis and Diabetes( each is marked). I hope some of this helps.
          Flip

Comment

Welcome, Nan. It is nice to have another Nancy on the site. If you have not already done so, go to www.kidneyschool.org. They have lots of really accurate information about kidney disease and its treatment including the diet. When you see the nephrologist, get a diet prescription. Then you can go to the Diet Helper on this site and plug in your prescription and they will give you a week's worth of menus with recipes and shopping lists. It is very helpful when you are first on the renal diet to have things mapped out like this. Once you have followed their menus for a few weeks, you will have a better feel for what is allowable and you can begin to branch out on your own. I am in awe of anyone who has survived breast cancer. You have to be tough for that.
            To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

chefnancy

You give GREAT advice as did Flip and Cassie. I will for sure search the site as menus and shopping list will be ever so helpful. Right now, I am following your advice on one post to eat toast for breakfast (light sourdough) and for lunch I am having a tuna sandw. with same light bread and small amount of mayo and onion and celery mixed in. Last night I skipped any dinner because my daughter brought in bagels and cream cheese and the temption was so great that I ate one...American idol kept my mind away from food...I must put those temptations out of reach !!! My husband stirred up a Betty Crocker brownie mix on the day I started the diet...My sis-in-law and husband came to visit and the three of them ate the brownies. I was very grateful those brownies did not set on the counter all evening. Gotta improve my Will power....This forum is just what I need to stay strong and hopefully I can get informed enough to help others here. Nan

Comment

Tuna is okay but I would wouldn't eat too much. It is fairly high in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium. It's also fairly high in protein. The following website will give you all the nutritional information on just about all foods.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
                Flip

Comment

Hey Flip

I went to this USDA website....I need to find one for kindergarden math....I will study it some more and will have some help. I know it must be easier than I am making it.

I think I found that there are 1000mg in 1 gram.... and maybe 1 ounce is about 28 grams....

I saw that tuna is not what I want to be eating because it is high in protien, just as you said. I do not even like tuna so that is no great loss. 3 years ago the Neph told me hold my sodium to 2 grams and hold the protien to 60-80 grams but that was before trouble started. The notes I had taken on that visit read 2 g Na and I just found out that Na is sodium.. I had forgotten what Na stood for......As I told you I am a slow study and getting worse by the minute.....Nan

Comment

If this will help you, there are approximately 7 g of protein in an ounce of meat or fish. So if your neph said 40 g of protein, that would be about 6 oz. of any kind of meat, cheese, eggs, etc. I found it easiest to have two more or less vegetarian meals and save my protein allowance for dinner. You should not get right up to your allowance with meat because there are small amounts of protein in breads, pastas, rice, etc. The good thing about the DaVita Diet Helper is that there is no guessing. Also, you need to ask those around you to be more supportive. Bringing chocoalate brownies into the house when you can't have chocolate is not being supportive.
                    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

thanks Nancy

There is a lot to learn but I know I will learn it ! I have found a dietician familar with both diabetes and kidney disease but she needs my neph's diet precription to get started. That puts me off until June 19th appt with Neph. I called the Neph's office today to see if they will call me if there is a cancellation. I also asked if I can drop my labs off next week for him to look over and see if there is an urgent need to see him sooner. Also asked if he needs a creatinine clearance, can I do that sooner than the appointment. I feel I am being a little pushy and hope I do not offend the Dr. I put together three years of lab reports from my GP and also my Oncologist. I saw my Onco in Jan and my kidney function was elevated and he said nothing about it..suprises me because I have so much confidence in him. BUT watching that is also my responsibility and I do not know why I did not notice it. I usually read those report copies and file them away. Made an appt today for a mammogram and also a bone density. My platlet count is going up...hope the BC is not visiting my bones.....I read this back and see how many times I have used the word "I".....Hope that soon will talk about other things and help someone else here in the forum. I read the Davita diet helper and read some of the recipes. Will start cooking some of them this week. Thanks again, Nancy, Flip and Cassie...you are helping me so much more than you realize. Nan

Comment

A new normal

I am sorry that you are joining us, but if you need it, this is the best place to be.
                        Just consider this as a new normal. A lot like leaving teen age years and becoming an adult. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. The more you treat it as just a new phase, the more you learn, the more you help, the easier it is.
                        Dialysis is wonderful as it keeps you alive and makes you feel better. A kidney would be better in most cases, but its not the end all, it too is just another normal.
                        Greet each day as a new gift and the trip will be just fine.
                        May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
                        Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
                        Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
                        Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
                        Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

Thanks Cicero

Hello and thank you for the kind welcome. You live in GOD'S Country...North Carolina. My youngest son lives there and we get there about three or four times a year. I'll have to look for Pinehurst on the map as I don't think it is near Raleigh. We were just there last month and the cherry trees were in full bloom and daffodills and tulips were everywhere. Missouri is just beginning to get out her summer dressings. My redbud trees and pear trees are in bloom and the daffodils were up about a week ago.

I have had diabetes for many years and although I have always had a good A1C, I am sure this is cause of kidney problem now. As you say, we are on the threshold of a new and different life... but it IS life and this world and the people in it are still bright and beautiful. Nan

Comment

Hi Nan,

Don't be disappointed in your onco for not telling you of your tests indicating a kidney problem. I think it is quite common for even primary docs to not mention it until a person is in stage 3. I know when I hit that stage is when mine first mentioned it and referred me to a nephrologist.

Also my Mom just recently found out she is in the lower end of stage 3 when she went to have some tests done. I've known for a while because I knew what her blood tests meant, but I didn't say anything to her. Neither did her doctor. She already eats very well so there wasn't much else to be done. Also, at her age, 78, I figured she would never advance to the point of need dialysis. Everyone loses a certain amount of function with age and most don't even realize it and never need dialysis. So I didn't want to worry her, perhaps that's what the docs think, I don't know. Around here anyway, that seems to be standard practice--waiting till the paitent is in stage 3.
                            My Writings

Comment

nanny, my PD nurse always gets on her soap box about primary physicians missing kidney failure. She says even though the symptoms are classic they still over look them, I know mine did.

I too am a diabetic and had good control. My neph thinks my failure was caused by pain meds I took for my back.

I live in Missouri also and I think mother nature turned off her alarm clock and went back to sleep. What town do you live in?

Comment

Working...
                              X