Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to have childern while on dialysis ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is it possible to have childern while on dialysis ?

I am sorry, Malibu, but great medical minds disagree with you on the issue of heritability. At the most a parent might pass on a tendency toward a disease, but that does not make it hereditary. Also, you are arguing from the wrong statistics. Yes, diabetes and high blood pressure are the biggest causes of CKD, but the fact that a large proportion of dialysis patients can be accounted for by these diseases does not mean that the majority of patients with these diseases develop CKD. Only a small proportion of high blood pressure patients develop CKD. A somewhat larger proportion of diabetics develop it, but it is still far from a sure thing. There are some truly heritable kidney diseases such as Allport's and Polycystic Kidney Disease. I would agree with you that people with these disease strains should at least have some genetic counseling before reproducing, but if we followed your standard the population would die out because every family has heritable tendencies toward different diseases. No one would be free to reproduce under your standard.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

A lady at my dialysis unit had a baby,she just had to come to the unit more often.

Comment

Each case is different with ckd - what works for me is may not be the same thing that works for another member. For some getting pregnant may kill them or the unborn child, push them into dialysis, or other things. With my condition since there is no cure for hypoparathyroidism and it will keep killing my kidneys -its to late for me to have more kids.I thought I was going to have more time - but life does not work on our schedule. You have to thing about your illness will you be healthy enough to take care of a child or children-getting pregnant is one thing.
        CKD-Stage 3 - non-diabetic - no high blood pressure- hypoparathyroidism)take large amounts of calcium and it damages kidneys) and hypothyroid

Comment

about hypoparathyroidism -my friend has that and she is taking 0.5 synthroid and -I was asking her if that has any connection or could harm her kidneys and shes a nurse-she said that it cant harm the kidneys and that synthroid cant harm kidneys-im not saying it can im just curious what do you think or know about it-I dont have thyroid and was just curious thanks
          ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Far as i know the synthroid doesnt harm kidneys- from hypoparathyroidism - all the calcium you have to take kills your kidneys most people take a couple calcium a day. But with us- we take large amounts daily - it is the only way we can keep our calcium up. At one time i was taking 40 calcium pills daily. Your kidneys can not handle all that calcium regardless if you are taking calcitriol or whatever. Hope I didnt confuse yah.
            CKD-Stage 3 - non-diabetic - no high blood pressure- hypoparathyroidism)take large amounts of calcium and it damages kidneys) and hypothyroid

Comment

Originally posted by markrocker View Post
              Yes, it is possible to have children while on dialysis. My neighbor who had a baby while on dialysis. But it is really high risk of having the baby while on dialysis.
              I know a fellow dialysis pt. that had her baby while on dialysis, but she didn't go full term - her baby was delivered by c-section at six months of pregnancy, and i do remember her, having to have hemo treatment everyday, and not the standard three days a week. She did say it was much harder to keep the fluids off, and of course, during her labor time, she developed pre clampsia, but that doesn't mean everyone that gets pregnancy while on dialysis, will go through the very same thing, i just wanted to share this patients plight with having a baby on dialysis, and this was in the early 90's. Her son is now a freshman in college and very healthy, so it goes to show you, that all things are possible. i wish you all the best for whatever you decide.
              Glo

Comment

Im 31 about to start dialysis, pd catheter had been put in and I am currently training. My period is about a week and a half late, I took a home pregnancy test and it came back positive, surprisingly! Any chance high protein in my urine could have caused a false positive?

Comment

Working...
                X