Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to have childern while on dialysis ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to have childern while on dialysis ?

Hello, I was just wondering is it possible ? im 25 years old, And its been on my mind for a while now, All of my friends has kids of there own and I would like to have 1. So if anyone know or has any information please let me know thank you

I read something that said it is possible, but it harder. It would be something to work with your doctors on because the kidney function (or lack of) messes up the hormones in your body and makes it harder to concieve and carry to term. If I can find where I read about that, I will forward it to you.

Comment

it may...but it will be a bit difficult on delivery time i guess....

Comment

According to my doctors, it is possible to have a baby while on dialysis, provided that you have a regular period and are in good health otherwise. However, the risk of miscarriage is high while having kidney failure. What my doctors are recommending is waiting until after you have a transplant. A few people here have had babies about two years after their transplant and everyone is healthy! It just take a lot of consultation with the doctors because they have to switch your meds and see if you're healthy enough.

Good luck!

Comment

Hello.............i Was Born With A Condition That Cause My Kidney Failure..
          My Old Doctor Told Me That I Couldnt Have Kids.......he Told Me That Me Or The Baby Would Die......my Baby Is Now 10 Years Old And Healthy.....
          And Me I Was 20 When I Had My Son And I Only Had About 30% Function Of My Kidneys At The Time Of My Pregnancy......i Am 31 Now And I Have Been On Dialysis For Three Years........i Choose Not To Get A Transplant At This Time.......i'm A Chicken.......
          I Wish You Luck Having A Baby When The Time Comes..........it Is Possible To Have A Baby While On Dialysis, But You Just Have To Be Careful And Make Sure You Do Your Treatments

God Bless
          AMY

Comment

is it possible to have children while on dialysis?

One of my doctors told me that I wouldn't be able to have children while on dialysis. I proved him wrong. They tell you that you can't have children because your body is so weak . I was just starting dialysis when I found out that I was pregnant. I had to see a high risk pregnancy doctor on a weekly basis besides seeing my nephrologist. My son came 3 weeks early and he weighed a little over 6lb. His birthday is tomorrow and he will be 16 .

Comment

Good for you! That should give some hope to the younger women on this site. What I understand is what someone said earlier -- if you still get your period regularly (many women don't after going on dialysis) and if kidney disease is your only problem it is difficult, but possible, to have a child while on dialysis. Most women are advised to wait until they can get a transplant.
              To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

This is a test Comment

This is a TEST Comment
                Salman Khan
                <a href=http://www.google.com/>Salman Khan</a>
                http://www.google.com/
                http://www.google.com/

Comment

Originally posted by varroyo View Post
                  One of my doctors told me that I wouldn't be able to have children while on dialysis. I proved him wrong. They tell you that you can't have children because your body is so weak . I was just starting dialysis when I found out that I was pregnant. I had to see a high risk pregnancy doctor on a weekly basis besides seeing my nephrologist. My son came 3 weeks early and he weighed a little over 6lb. His birthday is tomorrow and he will be 16 .
                  That's nice to say "wait for a transplant" but for some people that could be 10 years or maybe 5 or more.
                  Also then, some transplants do not work and then what you feel worse from the medications ect...

I think if I were to have kids I would just do it when I/you feel like.
                  That being said. No doctor has ever mentioned anything to me about "female issues" even when some of the nurses knew I was seeing someone for 5+ years.
                  I guess most doctors just think the patients are robot people....or have no feelings?

It seems more doctors in the US don't mind having people have kids compared to canada anyways.

Comment

Re: is it possible to have childern while on dialysis ?

I recommend planning like a year in advance with your doctors.

My husband and I want to have another baby, as my son is 10 and is getting older. I wish you luck and hope everything works out.
                    When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and let them figure out how you did it.

Comment

I just found this. This is rediculous. Why in the world would you want to pass on this terrible disease to someone? Did you ever stop to think that you are literally producing a sick child? Do you want to see your offspring suffer? This is sickening.

Think ahead. Think of someone else besides yourself. Adopt for goodness sake!

Comment

I don't think kidney disease is passed on to your children. Most comes from high blood pressure or diebetes. I have kidney disease and my two children are not affected by it.

Comment

Diabetes and high blood pressure all on their own are both passed on to your children! What do they cause?

This is like having a history of cancer or heart disease in the family and choosing to breed. Really, this is not a good idea. This would be like breeding a dog that has hip dysplacia. It just isn't right. I know it is difficult for young people to think rationally about these types of things; it is up to us as a civilized society to inform young people about this.

Comment

Malibu, most kidney disease is not heritable. It is, like heart disease, something which may develop if a number of other things pertain. The vast majority of people with high blood pressure and diabetes do not get kidney disease. I am certain that anyone who is on dialysis who has a child would be hypervigilant about observing the health precautions that prevent the development of CKD such as regular blood pressure and blood sugar checks and maintaining a healthy weight and a healthy diet.
                            To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

That is incorrect.

As of December 31, 2000 Diabetes mellitus is the leading single cause of ESRD. According to the 2002 Annual Data Report of the United States Renal Data System (USRDS), 42% of non-Hispanic dialysis patients in the United States have ESRD caused by diabetes. People of Native American and Hispanic descent are at an elevated high risk for both kidney disease and diabetes. ESRD caused by diabetes occurred in 65% of Hispanic dialysis patients. And of those Native Americans who had been on dialysis for one year in 1999, 82% had diabetes.

Hypertension (high blood pressure) is the second leading cause of ESRD in adults, accounting for 25.5% of the patient population, followed by glomerulonephritis (8.4%). African-Americans are more likely to develop hypertension-related ESRD than whites and Hispanics.

Among children and young adults under 20 on dialysis, glomerulonephritis is the leading cause of ESRD (31%), and hereditary, cystic, and congenital diseases account for 37%.

People with this disease should not have children. It borders on abuse. There are thousands of children upfor adoption. It is rediculous to cause a child harm on purpose and that is what you would be doing because it IS hereditary.

Comment

Working...
                              X