I could use all the kidney cooking tips I can get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use all the kidney cooking tips I can get

There are many of use new at dealing with CKD. There are so many things that we can't eat, that those of you who have dealt with it for some time, must have many insights on how to make it easier.

I have read some posts about foods by accident under other topics.

I don't know if they can be copied here for easy access, I'm not even sure if I know how to do it, but I am willing to do it with permission.

This forum is wonderful, and I would like to give back for all the support, and love I have been given.

Re: I could use all the kidney cooking tips I can get

I'm in ESRD stage 3 as well as Diabetic and I have the whole gambit of high blood pressure and cholesterol, sleep apnea to make me sleep poorly, and all the fun health issues that go along with the whole package. Basically, I'm not allowed to eat. I'm caught in the middle area where it is either too expensive, too sweet or too much salt, potassium, phosphates and etc. Fortunately I cooked as a hobie and I'm the primary meal preparer for my family. Here are some things to try.

Use Mrs. Dash and other no salt flavorings in your food. They are a bit more expensive than the salt bearing varieties but used sparingly and with the right cooking methods they add sufficient flavor to make food more palatable. Mrs Dash is my favorite and there are 6 or 7 different varieties. I've seen Lowery's and some off brands as well but haven't been as impressed. Your taste buds will tell you what works for you.

As often as you can, prepare your own food. Basically, everything that comes pre-packaged/pre-processed in the grocery store has phosphates and high salt content.

Frozen vegetables, not canned. The plain variety without stir-fry seasoning and such, the seasonings are salt heavy. Too much salt in canned/bottled foods.

Read all your food labels for a while. Make a habit of reading any lable you are not yet familiar with. Get to know the dangerous foods. I had a love for Ritz crackers. Bad idea, they're full of phosphates. Mind you, phosphates are not always listed in your foods and beverages. I thought all mountain dew (diet for me) was phosphate free. I was wrong, the only phosphate free mountain dew is the standard yellow one. Also Diet Rite makes some good flavored sodas. Stay away from ALL cola flavored sodas they have the highest phosphates. Salt is an issue in most sodas as well, Diet Rite raspberry and orange are my favorite flavors and they are sugar free, phosphate free, and salt free. Always be careful with the volume of fluids you consume of course

Fresh vegetables have more nutrients and no salt so use them. Green Beans, Cauliflower, Brocolli, Kale, Lettuce, Carrots, Snap Peas, Corn, and so many more. They can be expensive so catch them in season and on sale. I love tomatoes, but they are basically a restricted food so watch out for them and squash is now off your diet as well. I miss eating the pumpkin pies I bake.

When you prepare potatoes, the part that has the most potasium is the skin. Peel them or at least don't eat the skin. If you are also diabetic you can make the potatoes by boiling them in small cubes, when they are cooked, rinse them thouroughly to remove the starchy water from them, boil them a bit more and rinse again. Still, eat potatoes sparingly if you are diabetic.

All dairy products are restricted. I can use a little cheese, and some sour cream with baked potatoes (not eating the skin) or with nachos. Of course the salt is a concern so I Don't recommend much of the nacho chips. Phosphates seem to be the big issue with dairy products. I basically eat very little cheese and only drink a little milk if I'm having a craving. I've learned to listen to my bodies cravings and find the safest foods that would seem to satisfy the nutrient content my body is craving. Keep in mind that people with sevier nutritional deficiencies have actually craved eating clay. Cravings are basically the body wanting to get some nutrient it is low on. It may be hard to distinguish a craving from the munchies, or simply missing a favorite food (ie. my ritz crackers), so consider what you need before eating it. If you are restricting your protein from meats you can eat complimentary proteins in vegetables to satisfy the need for the right proteins. Similarly there is usually another vegetable that you can get nutrients from instead of eating the bannana or squash.

You will need to become acustomed to considering the "danger value" of everything you eat and trial and error learning will be a part of the process. My taste buds have made some severe changes periodically and almost nothing tastes good sometimes. Sometimes toast with a little butter is all I can tolerate to eat. At this time, ocean fish is just plain too salty for my taste. However, fresh water trout I cook for myself with a little garlic and herb Mrs. Dash is quite satisfying.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll gladly give you my opinion or flavoring and cooking ideas. Experience and practice will make it better.
    Educate yourself, it's the only way you will get complete care.
    Brenden

Comment

I got a lot of good info from reading your post. My aunt has CKD newly diagnosed with high blood pressure and Severe Heart Diease. They are trying to figure out if she is diabetic or Hypoglycemic. I am the primary meal fixer, and I have questions about why dairy is so bad that you helped me with. Please keep in touch with any and all info you could because I'm trying to keep my Aunt here as long as we can!! Thanks again Glo

Comment

Hi Glo - your aunt should see a renal dietician. The renal dietician will base her diet guidelines on her bloodwork. She will most likely have to limit her protein, potassium, phosphorus and sodium intake. Again, these amounts would be based on her bloodwork. The AAKP website (www.aakp.org) has a little pamphlet that has a pretty good listing of the amount of protein, potassium, phosphorus and sodium in a lot of foods. You can call the 800 number and ask for one. This DaVita website has some decent recipes that you might want to try.
        ~ddarling~

Comment

Ddarling is right, the bloodwork will determine a lot of what your aunt can eat. Dairy products are high in phosphates. When my phosphates get high I get itchy all over and there is no amount of lotion or allergy med to help. It's like having bugs you can't see crawling and biting in random locations all over my body. Phosphates too high also can cause the calcium to be leeched from your bones and cause pain as well as weak bones. Definitely listen to the Dietitcian. If she isn't seeing one through her dialysis unit she should ask about it. They have lists, sometimes in color with picures , to indicate phosphate, and potassium rich foods.
          Brenden

Comment

forgot to indicate the difference between diabetic (hyperglycemic) and hypoglycemia. Hyperglycemia is when you have extra high levels of sugar in your bloodstream. Diabetes is mostly related to this. Hypoglycemia results when you have too little sugar in your bloodstream. In a normal person, you get a "sugar rush" from hyperglycemia. Anybody with a hypoglycemic problem can have symptoms that range from slurred speach, disorientation, and eventually coma and death if it is not corrected. I personally get really hot feeling and sweaty when my surar gets down to around 50. Safe range is generally 80-140 but it varies from person to person so don't take that range as appropriate to your aunt. That one will have to be learned from the docs and their blood tests
            Brenden

Comment

thankxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for the information
              very useful
              God Bless

Comment

Don't know if any of you know this,
                I use Land Of Lakes fat Free 1/2&1/2 for cereal.
                It has no fat and Cholestriol, it only has 4 gr of phosphates in 1/2 cup, which is less than rice milk, which is what I was told to use.

Comment

Just a side not,beware of the hidden sodium in eggplant. Who knew!

Comment

Are any of you using the diet tool here on Davita? That is what I am trying to follow but there are only so many foods.

I have seen some other good recipes, but they do not list the sugar content so I am afraid the calories would add up....

Rose

Comment

Hi! I'm new to the forum. But I couldn't help but speak up on this one. I found a good resource online to monitor things you eat (at least from a nutritional standpoint)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

it lists all the stuff in foods you could ever hope to want. take the guess work out of what's in cabbage or corn.

I use it when I have doubts.

Comment

there are many cooking tips you can find in internet

Comment

Working...
                        X