Recent Article on Baking on the Kidney Diet - Leavening Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Article on Baking on the Kidney Diet - Leavening Agents

Was anyone else surprised about the high level of both phosporus and potassium listed for the generic "Baking Powder - Low Sodium" in the very recent article on baking? I know the Featherweight is potassium based, so that was expected to be high. However,the Ener-G brand's baking powder is made up of,"calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, glucono delta lactone, citric acid", according to the product's web site. Their baking sodea is just calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. Does anyone know if these products have high potassium and phosphorus counts? I've found out about them general "low sodium" cookbooks, so I don't know how well known they are in the CKD/dialysis community.

If anyone know of these products, and if they're "good" for CKD/dyalisis conditions -- or not, could they please respond.

Hello Sarchik. According to the USDA food database, there is no potassium or phosphorous in baking soda/leavening agents so I'm surprised to read your post. If you are interested, the link is: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    You can search foods on this database and it will list (based on portion sizes) all the proximates, minerals, vitamins and lipids in your food. I use it all the time when I cook for my husband who was diagnosed with ESRD 6 months ago. We take his diet very seriously and it is a good source of information for many food related questions.
    Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X