Cheese Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese Question

Q: My mom loves cheese and I would like to know if there’s any kind of cheese she could have. She has diabetes and CKD and her cholesterol is good.

A. From this question I am not 100% sure which level of CKD she has, but I’m going to assume for answering purposes that phosphorus and protein must be limited. The good news is cheese is a high-biological value protein, meaning it contains all of the essential amino acids. Also note that cheese is high in sodium, so lower sodium varieties are best! If wt gain is undesirable, even though cholesterol levels are good, I would recommend reduced-fat varieties to maintain good cholesterol levels. Lower phosphorus choices include cottage cheese, Neuchâtel, and cream cheese (though the latter two are lower protein). I don’t discourage including favorite foods as long as they are included taking into account the total amount of limited nutrients daily, but it may help to use strongly flavored cheeses, such as blue cheese or feta cheese crumbles, where less is needed for satisfying flavor.
Working...
X