Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What types of food could I use to fix quick summer meals on a renal, diabetic diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What types of food could I use to fix quick summer meals on a renal, diabetic diet?

With diabetes, portion control of carbohydrate foods (such as grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, milk/yogurt, and sweets) need to be limited as well as the renal restrictions on potassium and phosphorus. Depending on your specific health care provider recommendations, carbohydrate choices are typically limited from 3-5 per meal. Note that that is not always what a “serving” is on a package; for example, 1/3 cup is a carbohydrate choice for rice or pasta. That doesn’t mean you have to limit to only 1/3 cup, but to know that if consuming one cup, that is three choices for that meal. With that said, I like to recommend using rice or pasta as a side instead of the base for the meal, so that other carbohydrates, such as fruit, can be included at the same meal for variety. Summer is the time to use the grill if you have it; meats/proteins can be grilled at the same time as vegetables. With hot weather, a cold salad sandwich (tuna, egg, chicken, etc.) is refreshing and quick, as are green salads with low potassium vegetables in season, topped with a protein source. DaVita designates recipes as appropriate for diabetes, CKD pre-dialysis, and dialysis, as well as has a category for easy recipes, so you can also search for what fits your needs on this site!
Working...
X