X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non dairy creamer vs milk

I've been told to start reducing my phosphorus intake. Currently my labs show phosphorus is still normal. I'm trying to find something to put in my coffee to lighten it. I normally make my coffee with equal parts coffee and milk plus a flavored creamer (I do realize this begs the question do I really like the actual coffee...) I know milk has phosphorus naturally and non dairy creamers have phosphorus additives. I've tried almond and rice milk and it tastes like I've just added more water. Am I better off with 1% milk or coffeemate original creamer or should I just forget coffee altogether and find an alternate source of morning caffeine?

What I have found out is 1percent milk is worse than using whole milk when it comes to potassium. Whole milk is 322mg of potassium and low fat milk is 382mg. Now that is per cup. But since you like coffee in your milk Then you would be using quite a bit of milk. Do you just drink one cup of coffee a day? If so just work in the nutritional counts like phosphorus and protein into you amount for the day and use whichever you prefer. Or you could give up coffee or learn to drink it black. Your choice. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Thanks, I did not even think of drinking it with extra yummy milk! I can likely use less in that case and still get that taste im looking for. I usually drink about 1 actual cup or less of coffee per day so really not that much if I just cut down the milk volume to maybe 1/4 cup or less 1x per day. Thanks!

Comment

I was also having high phosphorous lab readings and with help from my Davita Center discovered that non dairy creamer was the culprit. I started taking binders with my coffee and no more high readings!

Comment

I got a dry non dairy creamer and was trying in place of milk but only us it by teaspoon in tea and cereal. After reading this I checked the label and it has disodium potassium phosphate. Maybe better to use milk?

Comment

Hi my name is Erika. I am a dietitian in VA.

4 ounces of half and half (without additives) has approximately 115 mg of phosphorus. 4 ounces of skim milk has approximately 127 mg of phosphorus. 4 ounces of Coffeemate creamer has approximately 120 mg of phosphorus.

Unfortunately, popular non-dairy creamers like Coffeemate use artificial phosphorus in their products now. However, many half and half's do as well I have noticed.

My recommendation would be to decide what works best for you and try to keep your portions small (<2 ounces). Also, if you decide to choose half and half, try to purchase the organic kind as this should not have the artificial phosphorus additives.

And as always, take your phosphorus binders with all meals.

Comment

This is very helpful information. I have been trying to figure out what to do since I am not suppose to have "any added phosphorus or sodium." Added being the word my Dr is saying. Label reading doesn't always tell the truth but many times I'm reading through all the ingredients list and simply miss the words. I pick it up at home and there it is, phosphorus. Horror of horrors, there it is and I brought it home. I haven't checked out the half and half yet, but didn't think of that either. Guess I never thought of that as an option. I tried the whole & 2% milk as a creamer, but don't care for the taste. Evaporated milk (lowfat 2%) taste good but says it has 6% phosphorus for 2 Tbsp.

Then the word Dipotassium Phosphate which is in everything. When I look this up, not quite sure I care for all that in the same sentence. SO how do you figure all this out, so yes, I'm highly confused. No added phosphorus, hum mm.

Oh I have so much to learn still and it's still confusing to me. Thanks for the information.

Comment

What are binders?

Comment

SammyJo61244- binders are a pill you take with each meal or snack that act as magnet by "binding" with the phosphorus in your food so that you do not absorb it. They do not absorb 100% of the phosphorus in meals, but should remove a good portion of it. The phosphorus that is binded is then removed when you have a bowel movement (poop). I hope that helps!

Comment

I blended some fat free non dairy creamer powder to my Rice milk. Rice milk was awful, but 1/2 cup creamer to a qt of milk made it doable for my cereal.

Comment