gaining more weight than I want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gaining more weight than I want

I was diagnosed with stage 4 over a year ago..I follow the diet guidelines very strictly, and feel pretty good most of the time - My Dr. has told me to "cheat" occasionally, but even when I do, I am afraid to stray off the guidelines - I have remained stable for this time and hopefully will continue to do so... but, for so long I was so skinny and couldn't gain weight... now I gained all my weight back, which was great...but I gained more and I hate that... I can't fit in my clothes anymore and can't afford a new wardrobe - any "dieting" information on this diet? My renal diet is further restricted in that I also make kidney stones and so have to restrict oxalic acid foods...it's tough, but I will do whatever it takes...

Re: gaining more weight than I want

Please don't pay attention to that guy, He is a spammer.

A spammer with crappy advice, at that.
    Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
    PD March 2009-present
    On Transplant List
    Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

Re: gaining more weight than I want

Originally posted by annie View Post
      Please don't pay attention to that guy, He is a spammer.

A spammer with crappy advice, at that.
      Are you referring to a post that isn't here in this thread anymore? I am assuming so because all I see is Earthsong's post which doesn't appear to be spam.

Originally posted by Earthsong View Post
      I was diagnosed with stage 4 over a year ago..I follow the diet guidelines very strictly, and feel pretty good most of the time - My Dr. has told me to "cheat" occasionally, but even when I do, I am afraid to stray off the guidelines - I have remained stable for this time and hopefully will continue to do so... but, for so long I was so skinny and couldn't gain weight... now I gained all my weight back, which was great...but I gained more and I hate that... I can't fit in my clothes anymore and can't afford a new wardrobe - any "dieting" information on this diet? My renal diet is further restricted in that I also make kidney stones and so have to restrict oxalic acid foods...it's tough, but I will do whatever it takes...
      Fluid retention can make you gain weight of course but if it is dry weight that you are gaining, it is hard to adjust the diet when it comes to a renal diet when dialysis takes out so much protein. I am not sure if you are on dialysis or not though. If pre-dialysis you have to watch your protein and not have too much. Where as on dialysis you need to make up for protein being taken out of your body so you don't lose muscle mass. Processed foods are not only high in phosphate / phosphorus but also make us gain weight. Getting out and moving is more important that we realize. Many people don't do exercise because it seems like it is just something you are not able to do right now. But just getting up and stretching often helps keep the blood circulating which actually helps a little with weight management. Any little bit helps. Since not a lot can be done with diet, it is important to focus on getting our bodies moving.
      Angie
      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Working...
      X