Married 30 years today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married 30 years today

My spouse would like to eat at a local restaurant to cellabrate of anniversary. With renal failure could I have a lobster tail?

Re: Married 30 years today

Chuck,
    Congratulations on your 30 years of marriage. My husband and I celebrated 29 years this past April. Our general rule of thumb is to follow the guidelines of the physician/dietician recommendation for diet allowances that have been suggested for you. That can vary depending on the person. Do you have a dietician or guidelines from your doctor?

My husband is stage 4 esrd and he eats seafood 2-3 times a week in limited quantity. With the amount of nausea he experiences at times I have a hard time not encouraging him to eat as much as he wants of whatever sounds good, but in the long run that can be a pretty bad choice. At restaurants we especially look out for salt in-take. That appears to be our biggest challenge. "Fresh is good" and we try to get sauces, dressing, etc on the side rather than put on in the kitchen.

If you are new to this site there is great information on nutrition if you select the education tab on the main Davita website tool bar.

Good luck and enjoy your anniversary meal!
    Cathy
    Wife of kidney patient age 51
    Caregiver for husband
    In center hemodialysis 1+ years
    Recent live donor kidney transplant 09/21/10

Comment

Do you have a dietician

Comment

i do not have dietician

Comment

In general, seafood is allowed for dialysis patients. Without your specific lab information, we can't give patient-specific information, but again, in general, seafood is ok as long as it's fresh and cooked.
          ------------------------------------------------------
          The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Comment

Chuck, has your Dr not given you any guidelines to follow in regard to your diet? If the Dr told you to stay away from Phosphorus or Potassium for example you would need to know that 1 C of lobster contains:
            Phosphorus, P mg 268
            Potassium, K mg 510

You can check out what is in a certain food by going here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

If the Dr has not given you any guidelines I would ask on your next visit.

Good luck! And Happy Anniversary!

Comment

Happy Anniversary Chuck! Malibu is right, ask your neph to refer you to a renal dietician.
              ~ddarling~

Comment

Best wishes, Chuck, on your 30th anniversary! (I've got #40 coming up on the 27th). If I were you I'd eat very little sodium, potassium, phosphorus, or protein all day, trying to stick with well-tolerated fruits and veggies, then PIG out by eating what I wanted for my special dinner!! But then that, as I said, is what I would do, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do!

I eat vegetarian (and feel SO much better for it!) and for our special dinner coming up--all the extended family will be there--I'll just have veggies and/or pasta and cake and mints. LOL!

I hope you have a wonderful time and may God blessings be upon your marriage and life!
                My Writings

Comment

Originally posted by alvisjames12
                  I think best diet for a kidney patient is boiled vagies and rice.
                  I beg to differ. There are more nutritious and kidney friendly foods than just simply veggies and rice.
                  I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                    I beg to differ. There are more nutritious and kidney friendly foods than just simply veggies and rice.
                    I am in total agreement with you. How's our resident "Movie Staaaa" doing, daaaawwwling??

I have reported that I smell a rat here, the spammin' kind!

OOPS!! Not you, Marina!!!
                    Last edited by IHaveFaith; 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM. Reason: oh dear, that is not what I meant! yikes!
                    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

I still eat some of the foods that I'm not supposed to eat (I'm pre-dialysis, stage 4.5), but I TRY to limit my serving sizes and I try to make up for it in the day(s) afterwards. I had a nice brunch on Sunday, complete with roast beef, and I'm not even going to TOUCH any meat until Wednesday as a result! I also take an amino acid supplement on the days that I don't take in at least 30g of protein.

Comment

Hello Dac,

I think we all have to splurge once in a while!

I'm hurt! I cannot believe you did not send me an invitation. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

How are you getting along these days?

My best to you.

Originally posted by dac0214 View Post
                        I still eat some of the foods that I'm not supposed to eat (I'm pre-dialysis, stage 4.5), but I TRY to limit my serving sizes and I try to make up for it in the day(s) afterwards. I had a nice brunch on Sunday, complete with roast beef, and I'm not even going to TOUCH any meat until Wednesday as a result! I also take an amino acid supplement on the days that I don't take in at least 30g of protein.
                        Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by alvisjames12
                          I think best diet for a kidney patient is boiled vagies and rice

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
                          I reported this spammer on 08/13.......

Thank you, for your prompt attention and swift action to remove this spam.........

NOT!

Comment

Working...
                          X