Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dac0214
    replied
    "Stage 5" is almost wholly defined by your GFR number, yet the GFR blood test is notoriously inaccurate and subjective (my number is predicated on me being 'caucasian', yet I have a large amount of 'native american' ancestry, so that may be why...), but the 24 hour filtration test always gives me a better number. I have also improved my GFR number through a limited version of the 'low protein diet', although I really don't see any reason to go extreme yet. I will change my protein intake just enough to keep my GFR above 15, and attempt to remain living a more-or-less regular life otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• rodkimble13
    replied
    yeah, all links are not trustworthy

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied
    Re: Newcomer

I wouldn't click on any links from a member who has never posted before because it could be spam. Just a precaution as this member hasn't introduced themselves or anything.

Originally posted by giggs1434 View Post
    I am going for a trip with my fiance to europe and really confused about which restaurant to choose from so while searching i came through this covent restaurant website http:// covent-garden .fluidrestaurantguide. co.uk/ , Is this restaurant really good as it sounds on web?

Leave a comment:

• wrwagner
    replied

Hi Jeni, chefnancy is now sitting at the right hand side of God, but there are many, many folks that have experience with fistulas and dialysis and will chime in to answer your questions.

Leave a comment:

• Jeni
    replied

Originally posted by chefnancy View Post
    Welcome, Anathia. Your function improvement is impressive. I hope that you have a wonderful time traveling this fall.
    Cheers Chefnancy! I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you. I have been browsing this site for about 6 months now and I always find myself searching through the different threads and quotes to see what Chefnancy has to say about it ~ I truly appreciate your common sense and vast knowledge on all things kidney!! I have finally actually joined the site and this is my first post. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with membranous nephritis, no cause could be determined even after biopsy. I have a fistula in place that has not matured. We tried a graft in the other arm, we let it heal for two weeks and just before we tried to start dialysis it stopped buzzing. Then I had a chest catheter put in so that dialysis could start as prescribed. The next week I underwent another surgery on the arm with the graft to try to fix it but this was unsuccessful. The surgeon said I had some sort of reaction to the graft. Reaction to me sounds like allergy, do you think I will have trouble with this graft at a later date? I understand that grafts are very rarely removed. Any insight you may have would be very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Very good Cassie! That is impressive. I think the way food used to be was so much better than now as everything is so processed and as thus so full of phosphate which hurt even healthy kidneys. Healthy kidneys can handle it just fine but less than perfect kidneys .. too much phosphate can do them in .. what a way to find out. Like there are some tests where you drink some phosphate stuff (I think for colon?? Forget now). Well, I do believe diet plays such a huge role and it is so good that you are on top of your diet. Just keep an eye on the labs for adjustments that need to be made and of course always keep your medical team in the know about it all. Working as a team is the best way even though some medical staff don't like "too many hands in the pot". I have found however that it is good for yourself to be as informed as you can to be able to be your best own advocate.

Leave a comment:

• Cassie
    replied

Angie, my GFR last fall was 14.75. I usually just say it was 15 but actually was a bit below it, so I was in stage 5. I brought it up to 26 through diet. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be absolutely strict in my diet if I could bring it up even farther, but I feel like we have to LIVE too. So I eat cheese about one day per week. Sigh............ LOL!

I believe too that I could bring it up more if I could make myself get on a raw food diet. But so far I haven't gotten past the thinking stage.

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

I have heard of rare cases where people improve because of diet changes. Is that how you went back down to stage 3 from 5? Stage 5 is end stage (as it is called because it is the stage you start dialysis in) and I had never heard of anyone going back from stage 5 .... just people who were stage 3 or 4 going back to stage 2 or 3 ..

Leave a comment:

• ajmifaust
    replied

Yes, get back to us how you improved so much. I am stage 4. Question: Blood work comes back at 20% function but Urine tests come back around 40% -- so what is my true number? I am starting to feel weak everyday. My legs bother me (is that normal) and my sides and back hurt (is that normal)? thank you for any advice -- I am very new to this

Leave a comment:

• chefnancy
    replied

Welcome, Anathia. Your function improvement is impressive. I hope that you have a wonderful time traveling this fall.

Leave a comment:

• Cassie
    replied

Sounds like you made some great choices for your health, Anathia! That is great! Did you curtail your protein intake? If so, how much? Supplements? What exactly did you do to get such an improvement? We are thrilled for you!

I am stage 4, last year hit 5 for a while, began a very low protein diet supplemented with essential amino acids and increased my GFR to between 23 - 26%.

BTW, welcome to Davita. We are glad to have you!

Leave a comment:

• ddarling
    replied

Anathia,

Please let me know how you went from stage 5 to stage 3. I am very interested in your story.

Leave a comment:

• gregory.lance@sbcglobal.n
    replied

Hi hope welcome to the group were all in the same boat youll find alot of good info on the site from everyone

Leave a comment:

• Anathia
    replied

I am new to this site, don't know where to start; but here goes ---diagnosed October, 2006 w. stage 5, put on transplant list; getting better, off list in 2008, and now stage 3! Diet changes are paramount, and the help of God, and Dr. Medics are telling me to relax my diet, but I'm nervous; haven't seen dietician at all, using DaVita website and recipes to self teach. What next for this senior female? I plan to travel to China in the Fall of 2009, and want to stay healthy before, during and after. Italy in 2007, Russia in 2007- both went well, watched diet very carefully, but didn't deny myself new 'stuff' and drinks. How am I doing so far?

Leave a comment:

• DaVitaCasey
    replied

Hello Hope,

Welcome to DaVita Forums. Hopefully you'll take a lot from this website as many here already have. There is a ton of advice and information on DaVita.com, even renal-friendly recipes are available on the site.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, b/c like others said, it's better to ask and receive an answer than to not asked at all and receive little knowledge of the disease.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X