Phosphorus and potassium in Milk substitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Phosphorus and potassium in Milk substitutes

Thanks mw and tonia. Am off to my brothers this afternoon and will try spend some time reading and learning on the forums while there.
    sherryd

Comment

Re: Phosphorus and potassium in Milk substitutes

Sherry.....I wouldnd't advise using Vanilla flavor in those recipes.......I'm just sayin'.........Coffee Mate liquid is what I use, but the ORIGINAL......no flavor. If you have a Publix nearby, they have it. It comes in regular, low fat & fat free.

Comment

Can I take extra strength runs with binders (renvela)?

Comment

Hi,
          I've been cooking for my husband who is in 5th stage failure just diagnosed 6 months ago. I've been using Organic Rice Milk for his cereal, I even make a Pasta Primavera for him with it (instead of cream) and he loves it. It has absolutely no phosphorous in it - I don't know how it is in coffee but you can try it in the Vanilla flavor for that. I use plain for cooking and for cereal. You can get it at Trader Joe's or Target. If you want any recipes, let me know and I'll be happy to send them your way, but I think it's better than using real milk because of the phosphorous issue.

Comment

Just want to cross reference my other thread here in case you dialysis guys missed it, as it should be good news for several of you:

http://forums.davita.com/showthread....k-alternatives

Note I didn't ask them about their Soy milk as I want to avoid Soy in general. Shockingly, even their chocolate almond milk is relatively low in phosphorus (it has 40mg per 8 ounces, and indeed a very chocolatey taste.)
            Last edited by deckerj; 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Fly on a wall

my wife is in stage 4 and on dialysis. It's tough for her to get rid of excess phosphorus. She is trying plain, silk coconut milk which supposedly has 0 phosphorus. Trader joe's adds calcium phosphate to its version. However trader joe's sells a non-dairy coconut milk frozen desert that tastes almost like real ice cream. There's no calcium phosphate listed for its chocolate variety. Haven't checked out strawberry. On cold cereal its like eating an ice cream cone . Have fun.

Comment

Working...
              X