A Picky Eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Picky Eater

Bare with me as I am going to get as close as I can with information about my wife and her condition.

My wife has been diabetic for the last 30 years, has Stage 4 Renal disease and has been on PD for the past 4 years. She is currently on the transplant list for a kidney & pancreas. She has been called 5 times, and all 5 times she has got to the hospital and been turned down for one thing or another. Just this past Sunday was the 5th call. She got turned down due to her protein level being too low. Her albumin level really jumps around all over the place. This has been something she has struggled with since she started dialysis.

Here is my challenge and I would like to here everyone's opinions. She is a VERY picky eater. Most of the stuff you can get protein from she doesn't like. She doesn't like fish or any red meat. She also really doesn't like to eat...PERIOD. Does anyone have any recommendations for a protein shake or bar? Something that she can grab really quick but also deliver a massive amount of protein?

I am a bodybuilder, and I consume massive amounts of protein, whether it is through fish, meats, whey protein shakes. Is there anything that she could get at GNC?

FWIW, if her kidneys are failing and she's NOT yet on dialysis, you do NOT want anything that has "massive amounts of protein" in it, unless you're trying to get her onto dialysis quicker. I'm in stage 4 (nearly 5) myself, and my kidneys can only process about 50g of protein in a day. Yet, you say she's on PD, which, in most cases, means that she's past 'stage 4', so your post has me a bit confused. By definition, 'stage 4' means 'almost ready for dialysis', and 'stage 5' is 'on dialysis'.

Talk with a nutritionist recommended by your nephrologist before you do something potentially dangerous to her. Even if your intention is to merely raise her protein level, there are also other things to be concerned about, namely potassium and phosphorous levels. Those OTC protein shakes are NOT designed for kidney patients.
    Last edited by dac0214; 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM. Reason: mis-read original post

Comment

There is a nutritional shake for dialysis patients. It's called NEPRO.
      They have designed nepro for dialysis patients with diabetes, called Nepro with carb steady.
      This shake is OTC and can be found at most drug stores near the diabetic supplies.
      Nepro http://www.abbottstore.com/
      Nepro with Carb Steady is therapeutic nutrition specifically designed to help meet the nutritional needs of people on dialysis (stage 5 chronic kidney disease). Nepro is high in protein and low in phosphorus, potassium, and sodium to meet the nutritional need of people on dialysis. Nepro also has Carb Steady carbohydrate blend designed to help manage blood glucose control.
      Use under medical supervision.
      Based on your wife's labs, she might be allowed other supplements.
      I was allowed to drink Glucerna. I also used protein bars (only very specific flavors) my favorite were balance.
      I took my binders with my shakes and/or protein bars.
      But, like I mentioned, these two products were authorized by my dietitian.
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

There are supplements that are made for kidney patients, mainly Nepro, and it tastes good. While you have to be careful with the amount of fluid you take in on dialysis, being on PD makes it easier. Albumin is affected by many things, including the inflammatory process, so if your wife has an infection or her body is reacting to PD, that makes albumin levels lower. You should definitely talk to the nephrologist about this so you don't have to go through the high of being chosen and the low of being told you can't do it! That in and of itself is enough to be frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Matheaford View Post
          There are supplements that are made for kidney patients, mainly Nepro, and it tastes good. While you have to be careful with the amount of fluid you take in on dialysis, being on PD makes it easier. Albumin is affected by many things, including the inflammatory process, so if your wife has an infection or her body is reacting to PD, that makes albumin levels lower. You should definitely talk to the nephrologist about this so you don't have to go through the high of being chosen and the low of being told you can't do it! That in and of itself is enough to be frustrating.
          Hello Mathea,

I noticed you are new. I have also been over to your site. Many people live in rural areas or do not have access to a renal dietitian. You don't say anything about being a renal dietitian in your signature, but I think you should.

Thanks for sharing here, it is most appreciated!
          Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X