More proof that the renal diet really works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Sheesh! I guess its a good thing I only put it on after I bathe which I don't do everyday because of the energy sapping effects. I had no idea it was bad for me! And I just bought a brand new one today!

Comment

Kdee, perhaps your brand is okay. See if your label has a pull-out on it. The one I was using was not good for me. I would have never known that extra "page" was on the label if I hadn't read about the warnings on here and then looked at my bottle and found the little "open here". So check it out.
      My Writings

Comment

I looked~no pull out but there was a place that was titled "Warnings" and it said right there to ask my doc before using if I had CKD. Guess I never thought I needed to read the label on antiperspirant before! Its Dove and its their new melon cucumber scent. It smells SOOooo good! Now I have to find out if I can even use it! Sigh!

Comment

Originally posted by kdee View Post
          Sigh!
          Hey! I resemble that! LOL! It can be frustrating, can't it? Going along thinking your doing everything right and then a little thing trips you up! I never asked my doc, can't remember exactly what my bottle of Dry Idea said. If you ask your doc it will be interesting to hear what he says so be sure to let us know. I continued using the antiperspirant for a while then decided I'd try a deoderant and that's when I found the Naturally Fresh, since it was natural ingredients I figured it couldn't be too bad.
          My Writings

Comment

Well, I don't see him until August so maybe I should call and ask. I'm sure its because of the aluminum. It can be a bad thing if that buils up in your system but we still drink soda out of aluminum cans. I would think that would be more dangerous. So maybe its one of the other ingredients? Hmmm. I will continue with my sparing use until I talk to him I guess.

Comment

Hi Cassie,
              I was reading through the blogs and came across the discussion that someone with CKD should not use antipersperants. Finally tomorrow I will be going to my Kidney Class at Kaiser....I've had to wait for 4 weeks after my diagnosis. This is a rather personal question.....to all.....before you knew you had CKD did you suddenly develop underarm odor? I tried all brands of deodorants and nothing really seemed to work. Then I tried the clinical strength ones and they are a little better, but not perfect. I was so puzzled about the sudden problem and now I am wondering if any of you have had this same experience????? At a physical checkup last year I mentioned it, but my doctor didn't know what caused it and was not concerned. Let me know,
              Thanks, Simindalin

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie View Post
                Hi Victoria, I used to use Dry Idea but it like many others had a little pull out tab which said it should not be used by those with kidney disease. I've been using a deoderant I bought at Walmart called Naturally Fresh which contains no aluminum chlorohydrate. I think it even says it's all natural ingredients.

I didn't know kidney patients were not supposed to use antiperspirants for a long time until it was discussed here on Davita.

How are you doing?
                I also just found out about antiperspirant recently when started reading the labels.
                Ok, what I've heard, and I know it's a grandma's recipe, baking soda - you wet your fingers, and dab some baking soda on your armpits. You have to do it in the middle of the day again, but it does eliminate odor.
                Also, I've heard lemon is supposed to do the same trick.

Comment

Never heard of that being related to kidneys. A lot of my friends say that antiperspirants don't work as good as they are supposed to, it's more that products are not really fighting the sweat 100%. Most of the people I know complain about antiperspirants not working well, and their kidneys work perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Simindalin View Post
                    Hi Cassie,
                    I was reading through the blogs and came across the discussion that someone with CKD should not use antipersperants. Finally tomorrow I will be going to my Kidney Class at Kaiser....I've had to wait for 4 weeks after my diagnosis. This is a rather personal question.....to all.....before you knew you had CKD did you suddenly develop underarm odor? I tried all brands of deodorants and nothing really seemed to work. Then I tried the clinical strength ones and they are a little better, but not perfect. I was so puzzled about the sudden problem and now I am wondering if any of you have had this same experience????? At a physical checkup last year I mentioned it, but my doctor didn't know what caused it and was not concerned. Let me know,
                    Thanks, Simindalin
                    Read my post just before this one. But here is what I found on extreme sweating, out of kidney-related conditions - gout is on the list of possible causes. But in most instances people tend to sweat more just genetically.
                    And - you are not diabetic, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis

Comment

As far as suddenly developing body odor~I have noticed since my creatinine has climbed up a bit that I have a more powerful body odor mainly under my right arm(?). Strange to me that it would only be one arm but I did have a lymph node removed from under that arm several years ago so perhaps the scar tissue is affecting the sweat glands. It is especially offensive if I eat garlic or onions. I'm not an excessively sweaty person so it is mainly the odor I notice. The other odor problem I've had is my breath~it could knock over a tall building sometimes regardless or dental hygiene measures. So yes I do think its related to blood levels of some chemical or other. Hopefully the diet will help you. It has helped my breath immensely.

Comment

Simindalin, I have no idea if this is correct but it does kind of make sense that it would be possible to have more trouble with underarm odor once you have CKD. Since the kidneys are not ridding the body of toxins as well, or at all, they will probably come out more through the perspiration than previouisly, huh? But I sure can't say for sure.

I have never been one to have much of a problem with sweating or odor. As a matter of fact when my mother and I used to go to an exercise club and used saunas afterward, she loved it and the workers would mop and mop up the bottom of her 'box'. She would feel wonderful. My sauna box was always dry as dust and I would feel very weak, nauseous, and just plain sick. I have a brother and a niece that is the opposite, it just pours off of them even when temps are comfortable.

Hmmm, after reading these postings, I'm wondering if I should get my smeller checked. LOL! I have had a chronic sinus infection for a year and a half. Maybe I just can't smell if I'm having a problem with odor! LOL!

This forum is great! We each research a little, share a little, and learn a lot! Thanks!
                        My Writings

Comment

I stopped using anti-perspirant after reading on here that it was not good for people with kidney disease....checked what I was using and it did in fact have that warning. It is the aluminum that is not good for us. Our kidneys can't filter it anymore. Now I use regular deodorant (Tom's of Maine).

Victoria - regarding the article about garden peas. Do you know if they were testing on rats in the early stages of kidney disease, or can this also help people who are in stage 4 and 5? It was a great article. I'll also have to try to find out how much potassium is in peas.
                          ~ddarling~

Comment

It actually states that the peas themselves are not going to do it - it has to be the extract mixed with some special enzymes- that's the only way to make it work. I contacted the professor and he said right now they are not testing on humans yet. This is all the info I've got... But please try Dr Walser's diet - talk to Cassie about it.

Comment

Hi again Cassie, I have never had much sweating or odor.....now I can be dry and have the odor. I really think it is connected! I'll ask that question tomorrow at the class my husband and i are attending. No, I don't have diabetes.....at least not yet. You're right this forum is great!!!! I love how everyone chimes in with what they know or ask questions about what they don't. Yes, I think you better get your nose checked......especially if you have noticed people sitting a little bit farther away than usual! LOL
                              I appreciate your answers....you're always helpful and usually funny too. We all need to keep our sense of humor.....it can get you throught a lot of things in this life! Remember.....SMILE....EVERYONE WILL WONDER WHAT YOU'RE UP TO!!!!

Comment

I was watching that afternoon talk show that has all the doctors on it and they said that if you have CKD your breath can smell like urine! I really don't think that's what mine smelled like but it was nasty! Sometimes I get this burning sensation in my sinuses similar to what it feels like to go under without plugging your nose in a chlorinated pool. Anyone else experience this? Very unpleasant.

I'm the same as Cassie & Similadalin in that I really don't sweat much and in the heat I get very tired and nauseas and over heat very quickly. Interesting similarities.

Do any of you have skin breakouts when you increase your fruit intake? How much fruit do you generally eat in a day? I was craving it and since I had a couple of bags of frozen mixed fruit in the freezer I started having a fruit/rice milk smoothy everyday and now my skin is very uncomfortable. It seems extra sensitive to touch and feels almost burned in some places especially my face and scalp. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X