More proof that the renal diet really works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

It sounds to me like the most important thing for you right now is to control your blood pressure. Do you have any other contributing factors such as high cholesterol or diabetes? Both of those things can be damaging to the kidney as well when not controlled.
    For blood pressure you really need to control your sodium (salt) intake and get some regular cardio exercise (a good brisk walk will do it). For the cholesterol & sodium avoid fast food-its loaded! Make sure you get several servings of fruits & vegatables everyday. For your kidney lower your protien intake to 2-3oz. per meal and eat more fish.

When reading labels here in the US if it contains 5% or less sodium then its low sodium-quick way to tell. Also gives you a baseline to judge by. Learned that one in a cardiac rehab education class.

God bless! You can do it!

Comment

[QUOTE=kdee;26460 For your kidney lower your protien intake to 2-3oz. per meal and eat more fish.

[/QUOTE]

You should ask your doctor about the protien amount that's right for you. This might be too restrictive for you since your GFR is still 38. Mine is 15. Didn't think about that until after I'd already posted!

Comment

Hi everybody,

I found this rating for kidney hospitals:
        http://health.usnews.com/health/best...ital-rankings/

However, these scores are probably not always accurate.

I want to reach out to others on this forum, hopefully somebody can suggest great kidney clinics.

Do you know what kidney hospitals are the best in this country?

thanks to everybody in advance

Comment

Visited my nephrologist today , my numbers are creatinine 1.7 and BUN 18,my numbers last October were creatinine 2.0 and BUN 25. I stopped eating most meats as of the first of the year, I do eat fish. Was well hydrated for my last labs. My doc does not really get into GFRs. I am caucasian male and weigh about 165 and am 47 years old.

Comment

I'm usually always concerned with my GFR and my Creatinine and my neph said that even tho' both matter, my Creatinine# is actually more important than my GFR#.

I stopped eating red meat. Will sometimes eat turkey or chicken. I'm not a huge fan of fish.
            ~ddarling~

Comment

Hello!

to find out what your GFR :
              http://www.kidney.org/professionals/...calculator.cfm

also as far as a low protein diet goes, it's necessary to watch ALL protein you consume.
              I attended a meeting at a local support group which is affiliated with Nor california NKF. Here's what Vivek Bhalla, M.D (standford University medical center) had to say about protein

http://www.baakp.org/Newsletters/Kid...ons_May_09.pdf
              There are things you can do to try and delay the progression
              of kidney disease. Keeping your blood pressure under control
              is key; especially by using an ACE-inhibitor type of blood pressure
              medicine with “pril” as the suffix. Know your lab test results
              and try to keep your hemoglobin A1C under 7.0%, your
              blood pressure under 130/80, your bad cholesterol less than
              100, and eat no more than 0.08 gms/kg body weight of any
              type of protein
              per day
              . A proper diet is another way to slow
              the progression of diabetes and kidney disease. The website
              www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search can help you find out
              what the foods you are eating have in them.
              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria_Ca View Post
                Hi everybody,

I found this rating for kidney hospitals:
                http://health.usnews.com/health/best...ital-rankings/

However, these scores are probably not always accurate.

I want to reach out to others on this forum, hopefully somebody can suggest great kidney clinics.

Do you know what kidney hospitals are the best in this country?

thanks to everybody in advance
                I don't know about the scoring system used but I visited the 2 closest to me who performed kidney transplants at the time I needed my first transplant-The University of Washington in Seattle and Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland. They were both impressive but we chose OHSU because of their holistic approach. The tend to treat the patient not the disease and we appreciated that. So, we will be going there again this time as well and we were pleased to find that they have improved their patient friendly approach even more since our first visits. They are very helpful and spend a lot of time and resources on making sure the patient and family are well cared for throughout their stay and through the entire process. They provide social workers and nutritionists as well as a coordinator for contact people. If you have any problems they will help you coordinate care with your own physician or with physicians in your own community. It's very helpful. The patient support side of the equation is as important or possibly more important than the medicine side when you have an organ transplant because the aftercare is so critical to the survival of the organ. I think that this part of the equation is also extremely important to the patient who has a chronic illness since their health really relies on the support staff taking a personal interest in them staying healthy. When a piece of paper with some numbers on it is all that stands between you and kidney failure or worse you really need to be sure that it is being read by someone and not just filed away in a bookcase somewhere! So look for a place where there is a team of people caring for you not just a doctor who sees you once in a while for 5 min. or so. Also, make sure you can get your own hands on the lab reports. I have a horrible time doing that here. Very irritating. I have them sent to OHSU, my GP and my nephrologist because of that though. Good luck. God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by seldonbilly View Post
                  I should really know the answer to this, but don't. Why is salt bad for the kidneys, if blood pressure is under control?

I was on a 'renal diet' when my kidneys started to function again from a kidney infection, and used to count mg of sodium like we do g of carbs. I think I need to start watching my salt intake again.

What a perfect way to do it with this recipe...
                  seldonbilly, believe it or not, is a spammer. Do NOT click on his signature link. ANY link with r4 in it is a spammer link.

I am alerting the thread moderator now.
                  Angie
                  Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                  I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                  • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                  • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                  • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Hello. My husband is 77 and is in stage 5 and has not gone on dialysis yet. I do not know where to get a renal diet plan for him. I want to help him stay off of dialysis as long as possible. His legs are swollen and are really weak. He is on 5 different blood
                    pressure meds and also on magnesium calcium, protein, vitamin D and K, and calc acetate., and procrit shots Also, can anyone give us information on which way to go with the dailysis, at home or drive to a center. Help please.

Comment

Originally posted by cham0244 View Post
                      Hello. My husband is 77 and is in stage 5 and has not gone on dialysis yet. I do not know where to get a renal diet plan for him. I want to help him stay off of dialysis as long as possible. His legs are swollen and are really weak. He is on 5 different blood
                      pressure meds and also on magnesium calcium, protein, vitamin D and K, and calc acetate., and procrit shots Also, can anyone give us information on which way to go with the dailysis, at home or drive to a center. Help please.
                      Dialysis is a personal choice to make depending on life style and which type fits your needs best (yes I said plural as it can effect both of you, especially if you are the one having to drive him regularly or if doing home hemo might have to learn how to cannulate a fistula).

Here is a site comparing the different types of dialysis that might help you guys out (Scroll down on the page):

http://www.homedialysis.org/learn/types/

Also when it comes to diet, it depends person to person but generally keeping protein low to moderate helps the kidneys out and protein is hard on failing kidneys. Also the kidneys remove Phosphate and Potassium and as they work less and less the body will accumulate with these so it is best on the body to limit these as well. Of course it is all dependent on blood lab results and this should be discussed with a doctor. Since you say he is on Protein along with other things, it seems he is not typical and can't compare with others in stage 5.

Hope this helps.
                      Angie
                      Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                      I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                      • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                      • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                      • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Francaise? A kidney non dialysis recipe?
                        Stage 4 or 4 1/2....

Does anyone have neuropathy from taking statins? I think the simvsatin (Zocor) my doc gave me about 7 or 8 months ago gave me it...he told me to go off it for awhile to see what haappens....but I have only been off for a week......which I don't think is enough time.

Can't even walk my dog around the neighborhood. I have anemia......take shots of Arenesp for that and it does bring my levels up............

Have lost 9 donors in the past 9 months...now my boyfriend and I are trying to do a kidney swap program.........up in Rhode Island.....he is a B and we need to get him tested to see if he is healhty enough.........anyone else thinking of trying that?

We would go on the swap and if w/in 45 days, if we get two mathes, we would just swap, but if after 45 days we don't get a match, he would give his kidney to a B that needs it and I would go to the top of the list for the first availaable O....(which makes it harder for me cuz O is the universal donor, but I can only receive from other O's...but they told me at the Exchange Program it does happen but it will just take longer for me...like if someone'O;s andtbodies don't match the person in the swap w/them, then I could get that or the first altruistic O..............looking forward to trying it out!! (If he passes..otherwise my cousin who is an A but needs to lose 30 lbs is the backup plan..............

Rose

Comment

Well the good news is that my cousin has already lost 17 lbs of the 30 they said she would need to lose!

Comment

new to site. Have been diagnosed at stage 3. I am trying to find quick recipes for low protein. I am having a hard time with diet.
                            Stage 3, non diabetic GFR 37

Comment

Wow its been a while since I've posted! The good news is that my creatinine has fallen to 2.3! This is the lowest its been in years. I can't say that its due to diet tho...I've been working on a different part of my lifestyle...my spirit! This past year has been an incredible learning experience for me and it its beginning to bear fruit. It is very exciting and a little scary too! If you have questions feel free to email me at katedeew@n
                              etzero.com

Comment

I am very new to all this and a renal diet sounds as prohibitive as my diabetes program. I limit my carbs between 18-20 per day and protein and fat are a large part of my daily life. I will check out the book that was recommended and go from there. I don't eat rice, pasta, bread (except almond flour/flax homemade), potatoes, sugar, fruit (except for a strawberry or a few blueberries on occasion). I use olive oil, coconut oil and butter. I am beginning to think I will have to go from a 7" dinner plate to a 3"

My gfr was 54 two weeks ago and yesterday's labs show 51. My serum creatine is 1.07. Since my first test in February, my sodium has reduced. Dr. would not do a BUN or Phosphorous, so I am going to an outside lab for complete metabolic tests so I can know where I stand.

I am really thankful for this forum and the great information here.

Blessings to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X