More proof that the renal diet really works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

hey, has anybody heard if Zinc Gluconate is safe for kidney patients? I know there has been a fuss about Zicam nose swabs affecting the ability to smell. But Zinc gluconate lozenges seem to be very effective against cold... And here is my dilemma - to have a cold, that is definitely not good for kidneys, or to take Zinc gluconate.

So if anybody has any info in regards to its safety- please share. Thank you

Comment

You know I'm not sure about the Zinc but I was reading some remedies today involving honey that were very interesting. I know honey is a natural antiseptic but I hadn't heard of some of the other applications. Many of them made sense in the light of the antiseptic properties but some of them seemed rather far fetched (cures cancer for instance). You might want to try the cold remedy though. I looked it up on www.snopes.com and did a search on honey cures. One article basically had you mix varying amounts of honey with 1 tsp of cinnamon powder and either smear it on boils or pimples or boil it in a cup of hot water and drink it like tea or just dissolve it in lukewarm water. I'm thinking for a cold you'd probably do the tea version. The other had one that I'm pretty sure was for a sore throat-1/2 cup honey mixed with 1/2 cup cider vinegar take 1 T every 4 hours . Or something very similar to that. I don't trust my memory too well these days. I'm pretty sure though that either of those would be kidney friendly. I'm not as familiar with the healing properties of cinnamon but I've heard a lot of people talk about it recently. And it tastes good so that's a plus! )

Comment

kdee: Yes, honey is one of the main remedies against flu in Russia. in fact, it's like aspirin here I wouldn't say it does miracles, though... Zinc gluconate seems to really stop the spread of infection (sore throat), honey is more of a supporting remedy. And yes, the way this is taken in Russia - hot tea (a huge mug of it) made out of Raspberry jam+ Honey + Lemons. and you pretty much drink it all the time. Raspberry jam with hot water is very good at making you sweat (toxins out + body temp rises - hence, blood circulation is up, hence body fights bacteria much better and faster - not to be taken in case of high fever, though). A lot of times kids suck on honey to fight sore throat, but as I said - not very effective, gargling salted water is much more effective.
        I can see one cinnamon would be effective - the same thing that raspberry jam does - cinnamon is spicy, so it raises body temp when mixed with hot water, increases blood circulation, and helps fight the bacteria quicker

Comment

Very interesting combination with the raspberry jam. Probably some pretty good vitamins and minerals in the raspberries maybe even zinc who knows? With the cider vinegar honey mixture the premise is that the vinegar will kill the bacteria/virus and the honey will sooth the throat. Interesting remedies all of them!

Comment

Thanks Debbie for the article on the iron! This is a very informative article!

Comment

Congratulations. Please tell me how you did it. I'm having a lot of trouble staying away from the chocloate and dairy even though I know they are bad for me. I'm single and used to going out to a resturant daily. this cooking thing is hard to do. Linda W

Comment

Linda W~well, it doesn't go well everyday that's for sure. Eating out is hard because you can't control the amount of sodium or the portion sizes. If you order off of the senior menu you'll get a better portion size for the meat but it will often still be large and the sodium will still be high especially if it has a sauce or gravy on it. I try to do breakfast food at restaurants - omelet no cheese with toast and fruit. That type of thing. Dishes that rely on rice and veggies. Or veggie pasta. Good luck. Also remember that portion control is important-you can have most anything if the portion is small enough.

Comment

Originally posted by weechi2 View Post
                  Congratulations. Please tell me how you did it. I'm having a lot of trouble staying away from the chocloate and dairy even though I know they are bad for me. I'm single and used to going out to a resturant daily. this cooking thing is hard to do. Linda W
                  Hi guys,
                  So, is chocolate on the taboo list as well?

Comment

Victoria ~ Chocolate is on my limit or avoid list as it is higher in phosphorus and/or potassium. I am allowed to use unsweetened cocoa powder.
                    Just because we are told to limit something doesn't mean we can never have it. We just have to learn how to cheat inteligently...something I have yet to master, so I tend to at least try very hard to avoid it.
                    ~ddarling~

Comment

Education & planning~indispensable tools for the CKD patient! You can include pretty much anything in your menu with enough planning and education. Its all about HOW MUCH!

Comment

kdee-

I agree with you 100%! Once I realized this, I became a much happier camper
                        Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
                        PD March 2009-present
                        On Transplant List
                        Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

Just remember that dairy and chocolate can raise your phosphorus levels and over an extend period of time bone disease may develop along with other issues.

I have added the davita link on Phosphorus and CKD for additional info on phosphorus.

http://www.davita.com/diet-and-nutri...t-basics/a/478

the National Kidney Foundation, kidney disease patients in stages 3 and 4 should keep their phosphorus between 2.7 and 4.6 mg/dL. Dialysis patients should keep their phosphorus levels in the 3.5 to 5.5 mg/dL range. The goal for calcium is between 8.4 to 10.2 mg/dL with a best range of 8.4 to 9.5 mg/dL.

Just make sure you keep an eye on your labs to make sure you are within the prescribed range for your stage and what your dietitian/dr recommend.

I know when I am going high is when I develop the itchies.

Comment

Cassie:

Hi Cassie, thank you for helping me to get on Dr. Walser's diet, it is helping and I am sticking with it. God bless you, and he sent you to me at the right time.

Comment

Wanted to check with you guys regarding absorbents.

I am not sure why that don't prescribe those in the US, but in Europe many kidney patients take absorbents (mostly those are in powder form - the absorb waste and "bad stuff" and making it easier for the kidneys to work).

For example, we've always been taking activated charcoal for food poisoning and things like that. http://vitanetonline.com/forums/1/Thread/1270
                              It is being prescribed to kidney patients in Europe as a treatment to reduce creatinine. But I have never heard of the same approach in the US. And here I've never seen those medications in pharmacies.

has anyone heard of them?

Comment

I am new to the CKD, it will be a few weeks before I have another visit with my kidney doctor- GFR is 38, Creatinne is 1.7, BUN is high, the rest of couts are okay- I keep reading about a renal diet, which is the best and where can I get a copy of it- I am trying on my own until I see the doctor to read labels, fo sodium, potassium, protein, carbs, phosphours. it is so confusing, no really knowing what I need to eat and not eat, what is high and what is low, and plus I really need to drop 20 lbs. any help you can give me, wow!! I would really appreciate this.I am tired of beign tired, tired of everyone saying you do not look well, you look so tired. I have to work, I have a father in a nursing home,so yes I am tired.what will help
                                I do have high blood pressure and am on meds have been for a year, but apparently this has been going on for awhile with blood counts being bordline high and each year get higher and higher, but not panick level til 1 month ago-

Comment

Working...
                                X