X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Victoria, I looked up canned coconut milk here:
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
    and it shows that 1 cup has 4.57 grams of protein, 217 mg. of phosphorus, and 497 mg. of potassium. So you would just have to estimate how much you are getting in a recipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Here's what wikipedia had to say about ammonia alum. Ammonia alum, NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O, a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium, is used in water purification, in vegetable glues, in porcelain cements, in natural deodorants (though potassium alum is more commonly used), in tanning, dyeing and in fireproofing textiles.

And -- Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight, a site of great natural beauty, famed for its coloured sands. Alum, a double sulphate of aluminium and potassium used in papermaking, tanning, and medicine, was first mined in the area during the reign of Elizabeth I.
    http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/ammonia+alum

After reading those I don't know much more than I did. LOL! And as a side thought--why would anyone need to glue vegetables?
    My Writings

Comment

Hi Debbie, I like your new picture! I hope things are going well for you!

I am feeling much better. I am up to 15 mins on the treadmill at a slow pace of 2.5. I have just started using my eight pound medicine ball to try to gain muscle strenght back into my arms. I am going real slow though.

Do you know anything about iron in foods? I read somewhere that the body does not rid itself of iron and over time there could be a toxic build up. Have you heard anything about that? This question is open to anyone of course.

Comment

Originally posted by kdee View Post
        Well, I don't see him until August so maybe I should call and ask. I'm sure its because of the aluminum. It can be a bad thing if that buils up in your system but we still drink soda out of aluminum cans. I would think that would be more dangerous. So maybe its one of the other ingredients? Hmmm. I will continue with my sparing use until I talk to him I guess.
        Depends on how it gets absorbed. Compounds behave much differently than their constituents..
        My prime example is to note that hydrogen is extremely flammable but water, made of oxygen and hydrogen, is used to put fires out.

aluminum chlorhydrate can be absorbed into the body but plain aluminum does not dissolve or get absorbed very readily at all.
        Started in-center HD Nov 15/11
        Oct 2010 GFR at 9
        Fistula created Aug 2010 in preparation for dialysis
        Radiation caused ESRD diagnosed 2007 - GFR at 15
        Cancer free since 2001
        Rectal cancer 2001 - Permanent colostomy - chemo+radiation

Comment

Hi Wendy,

I'll have to do a little research on iron. That's a good question for my next visit with my neph or the dietician. I do know that too much of it is not good.
          I'm a little bit on the anemic side because of my CKD and my dietician thought it would be a good idea for me to take a pre-dialysis/dialysis vitamin that has iron in it. I'm taking DIALYVITE 800 with iron. www.dialyvite.net or email at info@dialyvite.net My neph can order the blood tests for me to make sure I'm okay and don't go overboard. Do you remember what your latest bloodwork results were, and what your hemoglobin count was?

Always thinking about you, and I'm glad you're doing better. I really need to start trying to get back into exercising a bit. I feel like mine is a catch 22 with this PAD....I don't walk as much as I used to because my legs get tired so quickly but yet in order to try to improve, I should try to walk a little more and more. We are all way too young for this crap - don't you agree?
          ~ddarling~

Comment

I looked on my last lab sheet and my hemoglobin was not tested. I'll have to make sure I ask for this to be tested. I agree it is tough to be struck down during the prime of one's life. So far it has taken me 10 months to get to this point to even want to exercise. I am hopeful, that I can get close to where I was physically when this thing hit.

Let me know if you learn of anything about iron, I certainly appreciate whatever info you get. I am going to continue research on this end, if I find out anything, I'll share.

Have a good evening!

Comment

I know iron overload used to be a problem for some dialysis patients because we used to rely on blood transfusions to keep our hematocrit at a reasonable (?) level. They maintained mine at 17 until I asked them to bring it up a bit because I was a full time student so then they maintained it at 22. That took a transfusion just about once a week I think. Thank God for drug advances! Anyway, when you get transfused a lot you get all the iron from that blood and the body only gets rid of iron by bleeding. Women who bleed every month therefore have less trouble with it than men do but it can still become a problem if you require frequent blood transfusions. Also, if you have a condition known as hemochromotosis, a genetic blood disorder, you can get iron overload because your body doesn't utilize the iron in your blood properly. This disorder is more prevalent among caucasions(sp?) from Northern Europe. So if you're white and your ancestors were German or Danish or Dutch or from some other Northern European area you're more likely to have the gene that causes this condition. Its in my family but I don't have the condition. Seems to be a double recessive or X linked gene. Thankfully I don't have iron overload either although I came close. Stopped needing transfusions just in time and being a woman have managed to rid myself of the extra over the past 20 years. In the meantime my doctor did have me avoid fortified cereals and vitamins containing iron. Now they're thinking of having me take a little iron so things do change with time. I haven't taken them up on that but I have added the fortified cereals back in. Mmmmm Grits!

Comment

WoW! Thanks kdee for your response. I appreciate it. I am pre-dialysis and came across on internet for CKD patients to be aware of iron overload, as it could build up. I can't remember where I read this info I am sorry to say. You have answered my questions and concerns. It looks like I am getting enough iron and should stay away from iron enriched products, at this time.

Thanks again for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by wrwagner View Post
                  Hi all,

Per Wikipedia: Ammonium alum or ammonium aluminium sulfate dodecahydrate is a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium, used in water purification, in vegetable glues, in porcelain cements, in natural deodorants and in tanning, dyeing and in fireproofing textiles.

I have also added a link that covers the material safety data sheet.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Ammo...ydrate-9922849

By reading this sheet, not much is known about Ammonium Alum.

I use Tom's long-lasting Aluminum-Free Deodorant Stick. It seems to work ok for me and the ingredients are more natural.
                  Thank you, ladies.

Tom's deo doesn't work for me , but maybe I didn't get the loong-lasting one. Some Tea Tree Deo works okay for me, though (forgot the brand of it, but if anybody is trying to find it - Ulta sells it, and I can provide brand name, too)

Comment

Now, does anybody know if coconut milk is okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie View Post
                      Victoria, I looked up canned coconut milk here:
                      http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...st_nut_edit.pl
                      and it shows that 1 cup has 4.57 grams of protein, 217 mg. of phosphorus, and 497 mg. of potassium. So you would just have to estimate how much you are getting in a recipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Here's what wikipedia had to say about ammonia alum. Ammonia alum, NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O, a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium, is used in water purification, in vegetable glues, in porcelain cements, in natural deodorants (though potassium alum is more commonly used), in tanning, dyeing and in fireproofing textiles.

And -- Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight, a site of great natural beauty, famed for its coloured sands. Alum, a double sulphate of aluminium and potassium used in papermaking, tanning, and medicine, was first mined in the area during the reign of Elizabeth I.
                      http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/ammonia+alum

After reading those I don't know much more than I did. LOL! And as a side thought--why would anyone need to glue vegetables?
                      Hi Cassie, didn't see your post first. Okay, with coconut milk - I just wasn't sure because Dr Walser recommends to stay away from nuts... Well... do I consider a tablespoon of coconut milk in my sauce as a nut?) I guess not really, huh?

And Ammonia Alun - yes, JeffDS is right - it is not absorbed through skin, the aluminum that is used in regular antiperspirant has much smaller molecules, hence it gets into human's blood through skin. Ammonia alum doesn't (at least that is what the website claims) because molecules are much bigger.

In anyway, I decided to stick with 100% natural Tea Tree deodorant

Comment

Hi Victoria,

Coconut milk is on my "limit or avoid" list because it has a higher potassium content. Don't know if that helps you or not.
                        ~ddarling~

Comment

Originally posted by wrwagner View Post
                          It looks like I am getting enough iron and should stay away from iron enriched products, at this time.
                          Hi Wendy,

My doctor stopped me on the iron pills because my blood work shows that I have too much iron. However, he did not tell me to stay away from iron enriched products.

pal

Comment

Thanks Pal for sharing. There is not too many iron enriched products that I use, English muffins and grits. I like these two foods a lot, especially when I am really hungry, they fill me up! Most of my other foods are fruits and veggies.

I hope things are going well for you.

Comment

Hi Wendy,

Here's an article I found about getting too much or too little iron.
                              http://www.carefair.com/Nutrition/Ir...rs_6004.html#;
                              ~ddarling~

Comment

Thank you, Cassie and ddarling and everybody else.

Cassie, I didn't see your post first about coconut milk, but now I found it

Comment

Working...
                                X