More proof that the renal diet really works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re calcium califacations

Hi to everyone does anyone have problems with calcium calafacations with there teeth at all or bones

Comment

• Re: More proof that the renal diet really works

Gregory~i do have calcium deposits in my wrists. This is due to the reaction of our parathyroid gland to high phosphorus levels. It is responsible for maintaining a balance between calcium and phosphorus in the blood so when our phosphorus goes up the parathyroid releases a hormone telling the body to absorb more calcium or release calcium from the bones. The problem is our absorption mechanism is broken~we don't activate vitamin D properly so we are unable to get the calcium into the blood stream and the stuff that gets released from the bones ends up deposited in the soft tissue.
      At least that's the way I understand it to work. Anyone else know something about this one?
      That's why its very important to limit phosphorus intake! Don't want your bones to end up as little bits deposited here and there where they cause problems and don't lend a hand in the area of structural support!

Comment

Hi guys, just wanted to share that gluten-free products are usually low in protein (read the label though). I recently picked up all kinds of food from Whole Foods store, and Van's wheat-free waffles have only 2 grams of protein per 12 mini-waffles. They also have gluten-free burger buns that are 1gram of protein per bun. They are not bad with a garden burger (the one that is 5grams of protein per bun).

Comment

I'm glad you were able to find those things, Victoria! We don't have any Whole Foods store near here. We live in a very rural area. My tiny town has 525 people and we shop in a town of 8000, our county seat. LOL! But as time goes on, I'm sure more of those things will become available even in rural areas. I'll be watching for them! Those waffles sound great! Yum
          My Writings

Comment

Sounds like you might live in an area where fresh produce is abundant. We have lots of fruit and produce stands here in the summer. Its nice to be able to buy fresh tree an vine ripened produce. I live in the Yakima Valley in Central Washington (the apple capital of the world they say). If I had more energy and ambition I'd grow some cucumbers and zucini. Maybe some cherry tomatoes and onions. They all grow really well here. We used to go walking in the orchard and pick asparagus until they started taking better care of it and spraying pesticides and all that-then we had to stop of course. I wonder what they use for flour in gluten free foods? I have a friend with celiac disease who has to eat glutin free. Once she found out she has felt SO much better. I'm so glad you guys don't mind my rambling. Its really nice to have an outlet where people liten and give honest opinions based in knowledge they have rather than "superstition & wives tales"! Thanks!

Comment

We shop in a large grocery chain store that has a lot of fresh produce,fruits and vegies and I am asking my wife to bring home some apples, cherries,fresh vegetables I eat them for snacks and try to curtail the drinks. too much liquids kill my weight when I weigh in before dialysis.

Comment

I started with renal failure back in 1980's still at 12% been the same for over 2 years now.
                I eat fresh home made foods, not salt no alcahol. As much as I like the odd drink it just does not agree with me makes me very hypa and can't sleep but am normally up 3 or 4 times for the bathroon if I drink a glass of wine am up 6 times even more. so not worth drinking.

I am still not on dialysis want to hold it off as long as I can as don;t want to be tied to 3=4 hours session 3 times a week at hospital and that may not be at a local one either.

Just take life slower my motto is things can wait till 2morrow y time is not up yet!
                Audrey
                Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
                Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

Granny, My ancestor came over from England to one of the Colonies. He was in trouble with the law and so he never told his family, wife, what town he came from. presumably he married someone from over here since he came here by himself and the nationality of his wife is not known. They had twelve children and one of their sons who was in my line had twelve children but you have to remember that they had no lights except candles and they had no TV's so when the sun went down they did what came naturally. I was going to continue your line of thought but I forgot. Just scrolled down and reread your post. I am trying to eat natural foods except this morning I ate some cold cereal. Well it was fast and my wife was telling me that we had to leave really soon. But I like to eat fresh fruits and lettuce and egg whites, we went to a restaurant after church and I ate from their salad bar and ate some fresh vegetables fresh fruits, took my renvela pills. There was some meat balls and some spaghetti and I got some of them too yum yum but I only drank a half glass of iced tea to take my Renvela pills. I don't drink milk and try to avoid the cottage cheese, the cheese, the yogurt, the cream all of that are no nos. I was on a troop ship in 1965 that stopped off at South Hampton for a DAY to off load some Army, Air Force personel. I got to take the garbage and dump in a dumpster at the end of the dock several times a day. So I can say that I got to set foot on England.

Comment

Hi Victoria,

I love waffles and pancakes. It's been a while since I've had them though because they are on my "limit or avoid" list because of the higher phosphorus content. I have yet to really figure out this renal diet so that I can cheat once in a while.
                    ~ddarling~

Comment

Granny~I hope you continue to maintain and even improve. Have you considered home dialysis? My aunt and uncle do this and it works really well for them. My aunt is on dialysis so my uncle learned how to operate the machine and to hook her up among many other things I'm sure so that they can do it in their home. Now they do it daily for a much shorter time. She feels much better and they just fit it in where its convenient. If they don't get it done during the day they just hook it up at night and she sleeps during her run. I think she only has to run 2 hrs each day. Also, everything is prtable so they can take it in their motorhome which they plan to do for our family reunion this month. I'm not sure how much the machine and supplies cost but I think that here in the US they're covered by Medicare and my uncle probably receives a benefit for providing her care (not sure about that part). It might be worth checking into on your end. We also have peritoneal dialysis here which you do yourself at home. I did that the first time and it was a bit labor intensive-making 4 exchanges a day-but that was 20 years ago. Apparebtly they now have a machine that makes the exchanges for you while you sleep. Something else to consider. I'm at 20% and doing well so I know how you feel but if you start feeling unwell at least you've checked out your options! In the meantime watch your protien intake. Don't use salt or salt substitute and don't eat milk products. Avoid high potassium foods & eat more fish than beef or chicken-its better for your bones. That's what I've learned about this diet so far! God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by ddarling View Post
                        Hi Victoria,

I love waffles and pancakes. It's been a while since I've had them though because they are on my "limit or avoid" list because of the higher phosphorus content. I have yet to really figure out this renal diet so that I can cheat once in a while.
                        I never knew waffles and pancakes were high in phosphorus? Are you talking about regular ones that contain milk? Which ingredient is guilty of high phosphorus content?

Comment

Hey guys, back to the deodorant topic. I saw this natural deodorant that contains ammonia alum. According to this website, alum is a safe alternative to "processed aluminum used in most deodorants":
                          http://www.bewellstaywell.com/TCCD_N...nformation.htm

"WHAT ABOUT THE ALUMINUM ISSUE?
                          Aluminum compounds are abundant in our environment. They are found in most foods and drinking water.

Many people and doctors have concerns in respect to the processed aluminums found in conventional deodorants. These processed aluminums have very small molecules and can penetrate the skin. Alum, on the other hand, is naturally occurring and not processed. It has a large molecule and does not penetrate the surface of the skin."

Have anybody heard if this stuff is safe for us?

Comment

Cassie,

Do you know if coconut milk is allowed on Dr Walser's diet? Not to drink it raw, but as an ingredient in Thai sauces - they base all their food on sauces with coconut milk.

Comment

Hi Victoria, here is what my renal dietician suggested I "limit or avoid" regarding my bread and starches because of a higher potassium and/or phosphorus count:

Biscuits
                              Cake doughnuts
                              Cheese danish
                              Commercially prepared mixes (rice and pasta mixes)
                              Cornbread
                              High protein pasta
                              Muffins
                              Pancakes
                              Waffles
                              Pie - banana, chocolate, coconut, peanut butter, pecan and pumpkin
                              Rice bran
                              Soy Flour
                              Wheat bran and bran cereals
                              Wheat germ
                              Processed, fast and convenience foods

My guess would be because of the higher dairy ingredients in some of these foods such as eggs, milk, etc. I think also, based on test results, you might not need to limit your phosphorus and potassium as much? Oatmeal is also pretty high in phosphorus, and I love oatmeal....my dietician told me it's not that I can never have it - I just have to be careful and limit it. I will always have questions about our diet....it's hard.

Not sure about ammonia alum. I haven't heard of it. For me personally, I think I'm just going to stick with what I know is safe, which is just regular deodorant.
                              ~ddarling~

Comment

Hi all,

Per Wikipedia: Ammonium alum or ammonium aluminium sulfate dodecahydrate is a white crystalline double sulfate of aluminium, used in water purification, in vegetable glues, in porcelain cements, in natural deodorants and in tanning, dyeing and in fireproofing textiles.

I have also added a link that covers the material safety data sheet.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Ammo...ydrate-9922849

By reading this sheet, not much is known about Ammonium Alum.

I use Tom's long-lasting Aluminum-Free Deodorant Stick. It seems to work ok for me and the ingredients are more natural.

Comment

Working...
                                X