Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calcium carbonate or Tums, how many do you take ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium carbonate or Tums, how many do you take ?

I am taking these for additional calcium and as a binder as many of you are probably taking daily as well. I am currently taking 2with lunch and 2 with dinner. I read that some are only taking one a day. What is the appropriate dosage on this, anyone know?

Re: Calcium carbonate or Tums, how many do you take ?

Hi Twinmom, I am self medicated on this one until I talk with my doctor in March. I started taking calcium carbonate because I developed the itching part of this disease even though my phosphorous levels are under 1,000mg a day. I am taking just what I need to get by which is one tablet a day, I usually take the tablet with the meal that has the 'meat' included. Calcium carbonate can contribute to kidney stones so if you are kidney stone prone, I would double check with your doctor. Maybe chefnancy can add her expertise regarding a safe dosage.

Comment

Hi Wendy-So,next question, how are you getting your RDA of calcium?

Comment

My nutritionist mention to me to start taking Calcium and vitamin D supplements. So currently I am taking Caltrate 600+D. I am just taking one tablet, shorting myself significantly of Calcium and Vitamin D. Some of the folks on the forum reminded me that I should be taking only water soluble supplements. So when I see my doctor in March, I will be talking to him about this particular concern of mine. As you know, unfortunately most of the foods including dairy that contain calcium are not on the renal diet. This is got to be one of the reasons why bone disease is a common issue for folks who have CKD. I am still learning the nutritional side of CKD; hopefully some folks can add their comments as to what works for them. If I have anything to share about the calcium supplements from my doctor’s appointment in March, I be more than happy to post the information. Sorry that I could not have been more help to you.

Comment

No help here as I take Renagel for high phosphorus. They are 800mg and I take 3 with each meal. And doc has never said anything about calcium. I just checked and mine is slightly low at 8.5 when it should be at least 8.7. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
          My Writings

Comment

My December lab work indicated that my calcium level is higher than normal. Therefore, my renal doctor instructed me to stop taking the calcium supplement. I used to take one Caltrate 600+D at night, One-A-Day in the afternoon but now I only take One-A-Day at night.

pal

Comment

I had answered this earlier, just as the site went down. Please don't try to fool with your calcium without medical advice. The calcium/phosphorous/parathyroid(nothing to do with the thyroid) balance is delicate in kidney patients. This needs to be done using lab tests, not by guessing. Calcium may need to be balanced by activated Vitamin D (a prescription item). Anyway, don't try to do it on your own.
              To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Prior to last March my neph had me on Hectorol, I've forgotten how to spell that and too lazy to get up to go look. LOL! I think it has a y in it. Anyway it was for Vit. D, but after the 10 weeks of dialysis he's never said another word about my calcium/Vit D. I'm all for not taking any more meds than I have to!
                My Writings

Comment

Thanks Cassie, pal and chefnancy for your responses. This helps me with my notes that I am preparing when I visit with my doctor in March.

I tell you, the best thing about participating in this forum is that when I go see my doctors in March, I will be so much better prepared and will be able to ask the right questions this time around. Thanks to all of you, I have a much better understanding as to what the heck is going on.

Comment

If the Tums are for binder purposes, mine are, the results of your blood test for phosporous will let you know if the dosage is lo, right on, or high.
                    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
                    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
                    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
                    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
                    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

when i take tums i end up throwing them up i spoke to my doctor about it and she didnt say anything i had this happen 2 times already

Comment

I take 2 ES Tums with meals and one at bedtime (My Calcium is extremely low at times due to not have any Parathyroids so that is why the extra Tums .. the others with meals are for the high Phosphate problem I still have even post transplant). I also take high doses of Vitamin D to get my body to absorb the Calcium. This is what has been prescribed to me for how my body works. Everyone is different. I take Tums because I have trouble swallowing pills.
                        Angie
                        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Working...
                        X